“Very comfortable for a family”
Review of Auldington

Auldington
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 8 March 2008

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights with our teenage daughter and found it very comfortable. The suite we were in had a king bed in the bedroom and a very nice leather couch, which turned into a queen-sized sofa bed, in the lounge. There was a TV in each room, which was fabulous for our needs and, for just $5, my teenage daughter could utilise the internet in the lounge. In the evenings, we sat on the balconies and even took our breakfast out there one morning. Everything was clean, modern and tasteful. Great value for money!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank frodo57

Reviewed 27 January 2008

We arrived at our accomadation a day earlier than I'd booked. I didn't realize I'd made a mistake until I was at reception. The girl at the desk was rude and wouldn't look at me, she telephoned somebody who said for a $33 amendment fee we could stay there for the night. We were given the key for our room, but as they were not ready for us no linen for the fold out couch was available, about an hour later the rude girl from the front desk literally through the linen on the floor for us to make up the bed and left our room. The room was modern with plasma tele's and leather couch and comfy king size bed. Our room overlooked a brick wall with building rubble stacked against the wall. We were not left with any breakfast provisions so I went to the local supermarket to buy some supplies as crockery and cutlery were available in the room. Limited room service is available consisting of microwave heated lean cuisine type fare for around $19 a meal. We made other dinner arrangements. Limited free DVD's are available to view, we took advantage of this. I must say we needed to ring a buzzer for the desk each time as the front of house girl never seemed to be at the desk. With such choice in Launceston I would stay else where next time visiting this beautiful city.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank skysabove
Reviewed 6 January 2008

My parents and I started our Tasmanian trip at Auldington in Launceston for 2 nights. It was a great way to start our holiday with a warm welcome and comfortable stay. The grand historic building has been restored with modern, clean and comfortable rooms. Loved the contemporary artwork around the hotel! Our rooms had great views over Launceston city and beyond. The hotel is well located and is a short walk to the city, restaurants, cafes etc and the river/ gorge walks. It also made a great base for our day trips up the Tamar River and numerous wineries. I highly recommend this hotel which is also great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Rob_SydneySydney
Reviewed 9 December 2007

We stayed here for one night last week and found it OK . Our room was at the end of the ground floor passage, and consisted of a small living room with TV and fridge with the bedroom off to the left(comfy Bed!) with a second TV, and bathroom complete with bath to the right. Very spacious!
Only things that didnt make it excellent were that the carpet had obviously not been vaccummed since the last occupants nor the toilet cleaned properly.
Breakfast provisions in the room were nothing special but adequate for us.
Another important thing to mention was that our room only had two very high small windows which looked out onto a wall next door. That didnt worry us but might be a problem to those that are claustophobic!
Look for rates on discount hotel websites..much cheaper than what the hotel direct quoted us!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aussierover
Reviewed 30 November 2007

We stayed at the Auldington for one evening in a bath deluxe room and received continental breakfast provisions (the Auldington matched the rate on Wotif).

The accommodation was easy to find, although it was preferable that we had a car because it was a bit of walk uphill to return to the accommodation from the city. The deluxe room was large and clean and the bath was very deep and large enough for both my partner and I. Our room had windows positioned over the balcony which was fine but we drew the blinds when people were enjoying the view of Launceston (note that there are time restrictions to use the balcony).

The staff were very professional and happy to help out with dinner suggestions and provided us with a map of Launceston.

The continental breakfast provisions were good, we received cereal, fresh fruit, canned fruit, yoghurt, juice, milk, a muffin and a croissant each. The only criticism I have is that the yoghurt and milk was low fat, something I do not enjoy.

In Launceston we visited the Swiss Chocolatier which is a must!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CanberraChicken
Reviewed 22 November 2007

I would like to advise fellow travellers on the Auldington Hotels cancellation policy. My husband booked a room directly through the hotel and a day later was rushed to casualty with a blood clot/ DVT. We were advised by the Doctor that he could not fly for the next three months and therefore our holiday to the Tamar Valley would have to be cancelled. I called the Auldington immediately and explained our situation. I was advised by Leon (the manager & owner) that under no circumstances would we recieve a refund even though we were cancelling 8 days prior to our planned stay. We were shocked at the way in which Leon dealt with our situation, as all other travel organisations (airline, hotels and car hire) showed compassion, understanding and were able to provide us with a full refund. Leon would not make an exception to our situation even when I said I was willing to fax through a medical certificate confirming my husbands condition.
Leon mentioned that the cancellation policy was strict because he did not want to get emotionally involved with customers issues. We believe that helping to find a resolution to such issues is a vital part of providing a good service within the hospitality industry.
We understand that some other travellers have had good experiences when staying at this hotel, we only wish that Leon could have dealt with the situation in a more professional and caring manner.
Very disappointing and upsetting.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank FlameRobin
Reviewed 1 October 2007

Auldington is a former convent converted into a hotel, this was enough to gain my interest and make a booking .
Our initial response from the reception area and grounds was that this would be a charming, quiet, serene peaceful experience and this is exactly how I would sum up our brief visit.
We stayed at this hotel for one night en route to the south eastern areas of Tasmania. We arrived late in the evening and did have some trouble locating the hotel in the dark - it is next to a school and there is a small low sign at the beginning of the driveway.
The receptionist was helpful and able to recommend eating establishments which would be open for a late meal.
The interior of the hotel has been restored/renovated leaving intact the significant architectural features - including a grand stairway - there is a small lift as well. Modern artworks by local artists feature in the hallways and reception areas. Rooms are light and clean with a modern ensuite and other necessary comforts. Supplies for a cold breakfast are provided in the room, and are adequate for the traveller.
Auldington was a wonderful hotel to start our exploration of Tasmania from, and I would choose to stay here again when visiting Launceston.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business