Large, clean, well appointed rooms in a nice building with gardens. The spa bath was a lot of fun. The folks at the desk were really helpful (when it's staffed). Location is great for the city, Cataract Gorge, Stillwater restaurant.
However, it all felt a little sterile and gave a slightly mercenary vibe in the sense that everything except the basics incurs an extra charge. Given such a nice building to work with it could be a much more romantic boutique hotel experience. As an example, we arrived about 10pm and had arranged to get our key from a safe deposit box. That's fine, but we were a bit put off by the sign above saying that calling the after-hours number would invoke an undisclosed charge for anything other than emergencies. Not very welcoming. Internet and parking also involve fees. Various websites claim that they have an airport transfer service, but this only means they will call the standard airport shuttle for you. Artwork was all by "Vicki" and a little dubious. The "room service" was commercial frozen dinners.
A simple gesture like chocolates on arrival, or fresh flowers, would have left us with a much better feeling. Still, I think it's a great option if you want to avoid a large hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Auldington Hotel offers true boutique accommodation in Launceston, Tasmania. What was once the Presentation Sisters Convent, built in 1899, has now been converted into a luxurious, welcoming and peaceful, 4.5 Star AAA rated hotel. The preserved architecture of the heritage building now contrasts with stylish, comfortable and modern rooms, all with private ensuites. Over half of the rooms also enjoy a deep, luxurious bath or spa bath and many rooms have stunning views across our landscaped gardens, central and East Launceston and the mountain ranges beyond. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff are always happy to provide guests with useful information on all of the local attractions, restaurant and cafe recommendations. At Auldington we strive to provide a personal and welcoming customer service experience that we hope is an accurate reflection of the hotel and the values that are important to us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auldington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auldington Hotel Launceston
- Auldington Launceston, Tasmania