“in-ter-est-ing”
Review of Auldington

Auldington
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed 17 August 2008

I concur with some of the other reviews. I guess these people are new at it and will learn along the way.
We found the staff very friendly and initially the accommodation was fine until we tried to use things.
The building was interesting and location too. Views from some areas left alot to be desired (considering the price I would have expected garden beds instead of piles of building rubble).
Rooms could have been planned/furnished a little better. ie: no space for toiletries in bathroom except floor.
Towels were shabby (the shabbiest I have ever seen) My old rags at home are in better condition.
Rooms were supposed to be serviced but beds were just pulled up and lumpy, new towels added and that was it.
I would be looking for another place to stay next time.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank hotelhopperSingapore

Reviewed 3 April 2008

Its interesting how some reviewers say a hotel is spotlessly clean while others say the same hotel is dirty.
My husband and I spent one night here. As we drove in it looked lovely, nice gardens and a nice old building. Reception was modern and we were checked in by a nice, helpful young man. Our room, at first impression, was lovely. On the ground floor, made up of a bedroom, a sitting room and the bathroom. On closer inspection I definitely agree with other reviewers that the cleanliness left a lot to be desired.
The shelving in our bedside tables hadn't been cleaned in quite some time. I also found pamphlets and car rental papers from the previous guest. There was thick dust on top of the paintings and also behind the wardrobe, including spider webs. I could see this laying in bed and also the skirting boards. Another unsightly annoyance was plastic poking out from under the furniture! I assume the furniture was placed in the room wrapped in plastic then ripped away and what remained is still there. Not a good look.
The doors had lots of chips and paint coming away as did the skirting boards in the corridors.
There are some lovely paintings hanging and beautiful vases on nice pieces of furniture, but the place needs to be smartened up and a little more attention to detail given.
I would also have liked a coffee plunger with real coffee, not these flavourless coffee sachets. They are a thing of the past.
Luckily we booked on wotif.com and got a good price.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank jonadPerth
Reviewed 26 March 2008

I was enticed to stay here by some of the positive reviews, and the fact that it was one of the few places I could get into in Launceston over Easter at short notice......... I now know why.

The whole place gave me the impression that initially, whoever started to renovate the building had big plans, and ideas, but sadly either ran out of money or inspiration, or both!

The housekeeping in the hotel left vast amounts to be desired, there was dust everywhere (see pictures) and the level of finish in the place was nothing short of shabby. There were no 'do not disturb' signs for the doors, or secondary /privacy locks, for that matter. Whoever cleaned the carpet (the ghastly drab grey nylon carpet!) was allergic to corners, as they all seemed to be missed.

On check out, I got a vacant girl, who sidled down from somewhere else in the hotel, like it was a huge favour, never once making eye contact with me, using my name or asking how my stay was.

It's a shame, a real shame, as I am all for supporting independent business, but when it is as shabby and lack-lustre as this, it is not worthy of my support. A message for the hotel: Smarten your act up, or you'll be closed within the year.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Irish_Jet_Set
Reviewed 8 March 2008

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights with our teenage daughter and found it very comfortable. The suite we were in had a king bed in the bedroom and a very nice leather couch, which turned into a queen-sized sofa bed, in the lounge. There was a TV in each room, which was fabulous for our needs and, for just $5, my teenage daughter could utilise the internet in the lounge. In the evenings, we sat on the balconies and even took our breakfast out there one morning. Everything was clean, modern and tasteful. Great value for money!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank frodo57
Reviewed 27 January 2008

We arrived at our accomadation a day earlier than I'd booked. I didn't realize I'd made a mistake until I was at reception. The girl at the desk was rude and wouldn't look at me, she telephoned somebody who said for a $33 amendment fee we could stay there for the night. We were given the key for our room, but as they were not ready for us no linen for the fold out couch was available, about an hour later the rude girl from the front desk literally through the linen on the floor for us to make up the bed and left our room. The room was modern with plasma tele's and leather couch and comfy king size bed. Our room overlooked a brick wall with building rubble stacked against the wall. We were not left with any breakfast provisions so I went to the local supermarket to buy some supplies as crockery and cutlery were available in the room. Limited room service is available consisting of microwave heated lean cuisine type fare for around $19 a meal. We made other dinner arrangements. Limited free DVD's are available to view, we took advantage of this. I must say we needed to ring a buzzer for the desk each time as the front of house girl never seemed to be at the desk. With such choice in Launceston I would stay else where next time visiting this beautiful city.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank skysabove
Reviewed 6 January 2008

My parents and I started our Tasmanian trip at Auldington in Launceston for 2 nights. It was a great way to start our holiday with a warm welcome and comfortable stay. The grand historic building has been restored with modern, clean and comfortable rooms. Loved the contemporary artwork around the hotel! Our rooms had great views over Launceston city and beyond. The hotel is well located and is a short walk to the city, restaurants, cafes etc and the river/ gorge walks. It also made a great base for our day trips up the Tamar River and numerous wineries. I highly recommend this hotel which is also great value for money.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Rob_SydneySydney
Reviewed 9 December 2007

We stayed here for one night last week and found it OK . Our room was at the end of the ground floor passage, and consisted of a small living room with TV and fridge with the bedroom off to the left(comfy Bed!) with a second TV, and bathroom complete with bath to the right. Very spacious!
Only things that didnt make it excellent were that the carpet had obviously not been vaccummed since the last occupants nor the toilet cleaned properly.
Breakfast provisions in the room were nothing special but adequate for us.
Another important thing to mention was that our room only had two very high small windows which looked out onto a wall next door. That didnt worry us but might be a problem to those that are claustophobic!
Look for rates on discount hotel websites..much cheaper than what the hotel direct quoted us!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple