“What a spot!”

Ranked #31 of 316 Restaurants in Launceston
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have only ever been there for coffee and snacks, but the setting is idyllic. Coffee is OK but like most places in Tasmania quite expensive compared with Melbourne.
Fun part is that you are harassed by wild peacocks and of course you are not supposed to feed them. But of course you do. At the right time of year you can get the full peacock display whichj is awesome when it's standing a couple of metres away.

1  Thank lordanfield

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Although I expected the Gorge Restaurant to be a little daggy, due to the font used on its menu, we booked anyway because of the setting. Dining atmosphere was great if your table was near the fire, anywhere else was cramped and over-lit.

My medium-rare steak was basically blue. It was raw 2mm from the surface. I left most of it on my plate, sliced to somehow salvage some cooked meat from the edge pieces. The waitress was oblivious to the fact that I'd hardly touched my meal. No one came to apologise or ask why it was left on my plate. The same waitress had used the word 'youse' in her introduction to the specials menu.

Didn't order dessert. Disappointing for our one year anniversary meal, but provided us with a laugh and an excuse to get some ice-cream elsewhere!

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this dinner with 17 work colleagues.
At $47.90 for a 3 course winter menu it's great value. I started with a deep fried Brie served with peach and tomato jam followed by rare eye fillet with red onion marmalade and finished with Apple and rhubarb pudding. Generous servings in all 3 courses.
Very attentive staff and a nice, homely, warm atmosphere with courses nicely timed. The only negatives were the Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon was a little over and the twice cooked duck was dry. But, all in all it was good and I will be back.

2  Thank Johnnylad2
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Out for a celebration dinner with a friend , high expectations having dined here before. Treated very warmly by the waiter who unfortunately asked the patronising question, " and how are we? " in seating us grrr. Wine ordered, very little avail by the glass, eg no sav blanc at all.
Both ordered the same meal seafood chowder followed by chicken, promised to be served with a tomato based cream sauce. The Chowder was very tasty but disappointingly contained one prawn 2 scallops and a 1 inch piece of fish mostly carrots and leeks. The main course was served with generous amount of stuffed chicken, overlooked, and the most ridiculous Layout of vegetables I have seen. Gsqyare stack of potatoes , four pieces of carrots cut into the shape of roses totally undercooked and two yes two green beans which had only just been passed through hot water. Over the chicken only approx 1 tablespoon of the sauce. Very disappointed. Average would over rate it.
Pushing on to desert. Chocolate hazelnut brownie for me and citrus tart for my friend. The brownie was nice and chocolatey with lots of whole hazelnuts. Citrus tarts had a dreadful aftertaste and was inedible and had to be sent back.apologies given and choc alert brownie then ordered. We decided to forgo coffee. Ordering the winter special ,3 courses for $47.00 with wines te bill was $133.00 for two.
We both felt let down by the experience, resentful of the cost to quality ratio and sadly we won't return. Used to be one of my favourite "special" places, no longer

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I ate here tonight and have to say it falls short of all its hype by a long shot.

I ordered the chicken as did my friend and it came with a measly 2 green beans, both hard enough to crack rock as well as a rose carrot which might as well have been made from rock for all the taste it had.

The chicken was dry and the sauce was rationed as if we were 2 days into a week long hike in the Sahara, not to mention the half tomatoe was the size of a 20 cent piece and the potato maybe a 50 cent.

I ordered the citrus tart for dessert and had to send it back because it tasted as if it had been sitting in the back for a few weeks to fully achieve the rotten taste and my replacement brownie and ice cream was average and probably the knly edible thing served.

To sum it up: $70 will get you a main, 2 desserts, and a glass of wine and a feeling of severe disappointment. Avoid this place that aims to be fancy and go somewhere that believes taste is more important than looks