“Wonderful place to dine .”

The Gorge Restaurant and Kiosk
Ranked #37 of 308 Restaurants in Launceston
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Launceston, Australia
“Wonderful place to dine .”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Me and my wife went there for our anniversary, we got greeted and seated very quickly , our waitress was friendly and switched on knew her stuff . we started with a Turkish bread with sundried tom butter and chilli oil was good .
entrees my wife ordered the baba garoush and roasted capsicum tartlet and I ordered the slow braised goat . Both was very good my wife loved her entrée .
The mains my wife ordered the salmon and I ordered the eye fillet with a red onion marmalade the meals was hot and cooked perfectly I ordered my eye fillet blue and it was cooked by someone who knows how to cook a blue steak .
dessert we had a Tasmanian cheese platter a great selection of soft and hard cheeses .
This place was packed and had a range of all ages there from young couples to the older dinner .
The service was the best we have had for years and if I have to be totally truthful the food was the best meal I have had for a very long time .
A great place to dine we will be back there again LOVED IT :)

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank David L

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Winter retreat”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We live in Launceston and visited this cosy little restaurant a couple of times.It is located at the Cataract gorge.In Autumn and winter it is very beautiful there.The restaurant has a fireplace and the view is fantastic.The service is very good and the food is delicious and satisfying. a special winter menu is available also.Come and see for yourself.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank klaus g
Melbourne
“What a spot!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have only ever been there for coffee and snacks, but the setting is idyllic. Coffee is OK but like most places in Tasmania quite expensive compared with Melbourne.
Fun part is that you are harassed by wild peacocks and of course you are not supposed to feed them. But of course you do. At the right time of year you can get the full peacock display whichj is awesome when it's standing a couple of metres away.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank lordanfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Raw steak - oblivious waitress”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Although I expected the Gorge Restaurant to be a little daggy, due to the font used on its menu, we booked anyway because of the setting. Dining atmosphere was great if your table was near the fire, anywhere else was cramped and over-lit.

My medium-rare steak was basically blue. It was raw 2mm from the surface. I left most of it on my plate, sliced to somehow salvage some cooked meat from the edge pieces. The waitress was oblivious to the fact that I'd hardly touched my meal. No one came to apologise or ask why it was left on my plate. The same waitress had used the word 'youse' in her introduction to the specials menu.

Didn't order dessert. Disappointing for our one year anniversary meal, but provided us with a laugh and an excuse to get some ice-cream elsewhere!

• Visited July 2014
Launceston
“Winter Menu”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed this dinner with 17 work colleagues.
At $47.90 for a 3 course winter menu it's great value. I started with a deep fried Brie served with peach and tomato jam followed by rare eye fillet with red onion marmalade and finished with Apple and rhubarb pudding. Generous servings in all 3 courses.
Very attentive staff and a nice, homely, warm atmosphere with courses nicely timed. The only negatives were the Tasmanian Atlantic Salmon was a little over and the twice cooked duck was dry. But, all in all it was good and I will be back.

2 Thank Johnnylad2