“Service Good, Food Below Average”
Review of Smokey Joe's

Smokey Joe's
Ranked #46 of 316 Restaurants in Launceston
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I lived in the southern states of the US for a year, including time in New Orleans(Nawlins). The real Creol food I ate there was very different to this. Quesadillas should have more than a tiny spattering of cheese and a bit of mushroom. What we received was basically two pieces of toasted fajita wraps with nothing in between. The ribs were dry and had very little meat. I've had better ribs at a pub in Melbourne.
In contrast however the service was excellent!

3  Thank woodsla

Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed authentic, genuine and homemade creole at Smokey Joe's. Great to have homemade sauces, though we would be happy with hotter still. If you want pedestrian creole - DONT go there. If you want food that has been thought about in the making - go to Smokey Joe's.

4  Thank carobell631
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I can't say enough about this place. I LOVE Smokey Joe's, so much so that I went twice in August!
The dry rub ribs are the best!

2  Thank Katie-Lou-Lou1
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Wanting a good night out with friends I asked around and heard about Smokey Joes. I am so glad I did.

I got the dry rub ribs and I have never seen such a well prepared rack. Seasoned expertly and moist, you couldn't ask for more, but I did.

Onion rings, lets talk onion rings. Not only weren't they a soggy mess like every other bowl I've seen, but they weren't even salted. This allowed the sweetness of the onions to come through like I have never experienced.

My only real complaint was the wine selection, nothing seemed to really fit the meal I was having, but a beer went down just fine.

Thanks John, you have made a customer for life. Please open for lunches!

4  Thank Hittingman
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This place was terrible. Food was disgusting and when i complaining about the meal was told by the owner "oh well this is how it is". Very poor was offered no replacement meal or discount. Service was bad couldnt even eat my food it was so badly cooked and i'm not a fussy eatter at all.
people please save your money and go else where

4  Thank emma t
Jon P, Owner at Smokey Joe's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

It's odd that you mention that you complained to me about your meal and service since no one had any complaints at all on the time of your visit. That combined with the total lack of detail about your visit lead me to suspect that there is another agenda at work here. TripAdvisor post all "reviews" whether credible or not, and while most users can easily spot spurious "reviews" which are intended only to bring an establishment's overall ratings down, it is always disappointing to see nasty and baseless comments posted here.