“Brilliant”

Oscar's Hotel & Cafe Bar
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Ballarat
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Very good all round experience. Experienced high quality service from the moment I set foot into the establishment. Good food and smart comfortable accommodation. I will book to stay at Oscar's next time I go to Ballarat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Convenient for railway station,parking in rear ok,service on arrival good.Room out front at top of stairs facing road clean and comfortable,first night full price,second night half price.Only stayed the two nights and didn't stay in for breakfast,but ate in both evenings,food very good & reasonably priced,restaurant very busy.Had a Function on on our first night,got woken up early am by noisy Australians laughing and shouting at top of stairs, which went on a bit,but we would probably stay there again,only mid-week!

Room Tip: If Function rooms are being used it's going to be noisy.
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My fiance and I travelled to Ballarat for a friends wedding along with another couple. We chose this hotel as it was centrally located to shopping and restaurants which was handy for us as we did not have a car. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the train station which was very convenient. Check in was quick and efficient. It is a traditional style country hotel. No elevator which did not affect us as we are able to carry our suitcases up stairs. Rooms are comfortable, bathroom is spacious. It does feel very much like you are in a room in someone's house which is quaint. The other couple that were travelling with us were lucky enough to be upgraded to a spa suite and their room was much more spacious than ours and down the end of the hallway so was much quieter as they didn't have the foot traffic past their room like we did. Food in the cafe/bar was great. We enjoyed breakfast there. It was a very handy location as we did a lot of walking around the town. If we were to return to Ballarat, I would stay here again, but I would ask to be put in an end room so it was a bit quieter.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end or the spa suite are quieter.
1  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The hotel is in a great location and you can walk to some great restaurants and landmarks really easily. The room was really clean and bed comfortable. There was a constant and irritating banging noise through out the evening and I assume it was coming from the closely located kitchen/bar. Overall the hotel is a little bit tired in some of the room furnishings but it's fine for a quick stop if you're not going to be spending much time if your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lama016
Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the reviews l read this hotel didn't quite live up to my expectations.
Great building, modernised well.
Parking at the rear is great, bit of a challenge carrying bags through the restaurant.
Service on arrival was good. Room 9 was tiny, just room for the bed and a desk. It did have a good ensuite although the toilet kept running and the shower dripped, these items didn't cause too much of as issue.
Price was relatively low at $145 for the night.
Take my advise though, there are 2 function rooms and if you want a quiet night check before you book to see if there are any functions on.
The noise from the function room below was very, very loud. Had to turn the TV up much to loud, just to hear it.
The music either stopped or was turned right down at midnight.
The breakfast was great, not overly generous,( one egg and one piece of turkish bread) but good value and good choice on the menu. We don't eat big breakfasts so was fine for us.
Noticed when we went to The Lane for morning tea that their brekyies were much larger, but that was probably reflected in the price!
Overall good value.

Room Tip: Ask about the room and any functions on that night, before you book.
1  Thank Tracey028
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Lovely hotel with king size bed and well appointed ensuite. I stayed in a studio which would be fine for 2 people. The food in the restaurant was divine - I can highly recommend dessert.

Staff were lovely and the only fault is there is no ground floor accommodation but there is porterage if you need assistance.

Would definitely book again.

Room Tip: They will match Wotif prices.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marie M
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Beyond a doubt, this hotel is the finest hotel Ballarat has to offer!
From the moment I stepped into the warm and cosy reception, I was treated like royalty. The room was huge and with more luxury than I could imagine possible for the price (TV in spa)! With traveling a common routine in my line of work, I come across many hotels, and you can take it from me - you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2013