“Not so special”

Lydiard Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 December 2012

After reading these reviews I had great expectations which were alas, unfulfilled. My partner and I found the decor not particularly to our liking and with a decided lack of ambiance. Sure it is housed in a beautiful old building but where were the subtle lighting or snug corners? We found it unimaginative and uninspiring. While there was nothing wrong with the service, we didn't find it particularly impressive and wait time was longer than it should've been. When our meals finally did make an appearance we found the portions too small to satisfy our appetites and neither of us is a big eater. The meals tasted good undeniably and they are not unreasonably priced but we would've needed another meal each to be satisfied. Disappointing.

2  Thank Discerning_Damsel

Reviewed 8 December 2012

It's been a few months but it was a dinner for 13. We had a set menu ($67 per head) and chose our own drinks. entrees were 2 separate samplers - oysters, smoked eel, mulberry leaf with trout. All remarked on an excellent main - choice of steak, barramundi or chicken. My barramundi was moist and flavoursome with a crisp (not overdone) skin. Desserts were interesting. It's not cheap and not a quick in/out dining place. But for a nice meal with good friends to celebrate, it's great. Our first visit impressed everyone - and two of them were ex-hospitality (one part-time lectures and teaches cooking). eaten worse for the same cost quite a few times.

1  Thank J M
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

Wow, great food and service, the steak and mango pudding were to die for, I am sure if this was in Melbourne, the prices would be a lot more than I paid, 3 courses, wine and coffee under 80 Aus dollars

1  Thank Rob99Uk
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Great food. Even better wine list. The Lydiard wine bar has much to offer. But watch out for the wallet...elegance comes at a price. That is probably the reason that my last two visits for drinks have been marred by lack of other custom. My friends and I felt a little lonely. We like the buzz of a busy Friday night. Still...it is good to have a sohisticated venue in the heart of Ballarat's heritage precinct. We will continue to call in...the local reds beckon....

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Truly Ballarat's top resturant,where fine dining is experienced from the moment you walk in the door.
Excellent staff are one of the main ingredients, often lacking so much in regional restaurants.
Fantastic menu, have had tapas on previous occasions but this time shared main course dishes.
Mushroom croquettes and betel leave entrees divine. Steak and unusual chicken dish done to perfection. Coffee brûlée and cheeses completed our evening.
Wine list by the glass could be expanded.
Nice atmosphere.