“Great Place”

Bell Tower Inn
Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Ballarat
“Great Place”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Bell Tower is a terrific place to stay, I stay here often when visiting Ballarat, they have a Solo Package which costs around $130ish per night, this includes breakfast, dinner and your room, the place itself if you are being picky is slightly dated, however for this price you cannot complain. The staff are wonderful, the rooms are very large and I cannot fault it. I love Ballarat and especially in autumn it is gorgeous. This is a great country feel, warm welcome at a great price, I cannot tell you how many times I have stayed here and it is always the same.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 10 February 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed at this motel after a trip to Sovereign Hill. We booked a spa suite breakfast package deal, through Wotif. The room - at first impression - seemed very old and in bad condition, but livable. However on closer inspection, I noticed that the entire bathroom was covered in black mould (especially in the corners), and the soap used by the last person in the room had not even been wiped off the walls or sides of the spa bath! Everything in the bathroom was disgusting - I was afraid to touch anything and felt guilty having to bathe my toddler there - there were HAIRS all around the spas edge! The little complimentary soap bars smelled like Ajax. The beds were very comfortable though. The mini fridge in the room was so old that the loud cooling noises it was omitting sounded like an air conditioner next to my ear - all night! The television was modern and worked well. The alarm clock in the room didn't work, and the wake up call I ordered at front reception came 75 minutes too late the next morning. And beware - they don't use regular toilet paper here, but have a tissue dispenser instead - not good if you're in a real rush! The motel also claims to offer room service but considering that their restaurant is only open in the mornings for breakfast ( DESPITE what their website and brochures claim) - there isn't much to serve. The bar is also never open. Breakfast the next morning was very good and the cook is lovely, however the person at front reception tried to charge us double for breakfast and became quite humiliating when we questioned her calculations. We never received an apology. The motel also boasts a heated pool, heated jacuzzi, steam room and gym. The pool wasn't heated, the spa AND the steam room were both out of order. Long story cut short - a very expensive disappointment! Might also be of a concern to health authorities @ mould in bathrooms. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Staebe

Travellers are raving about these Ballarat hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed in November and after a hot dusty day at the Wildlife Park we raced to the hotel so we could have a swim in the heated pool. It was freezing! Lots of other guests were jumping in and getting a shock too. We were told on check in the restaurant wasn't open - that was fine as we weren't planning to eat there, but nothing was mentioned about the pool. I tried to call reception to ask about the pool but the phone in the room was dead. The room was large with a big bathroom, but tired. However, as the rate was very low we didn't have high expectations anyway. We had a family room - one double or queen (can't recall) and 2 singles, which was adequate. One child accidentally pulled all the bedclothes off the bed and I saw the horrible dirty mattress underneath - I had to try really hard not to think about it to not feel too disgusted. Our room was right near the pool and some tables and a few guests hung out there drinking quite late which was noisy, but not enough to get really bothered about. Not knowing the layout of Ballarat I didn't realise that the hotel was on the opposite side of everywhere we wanted to go - Wildlife Park, Sovereign Hill, our restaurant for dinner etc, so we kept going back and forth. For me that was the biggest reason I wouldn't stay there again. The main reason I would stay there was the price. So if you are on a budget it could suit you, but go with very low expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool might end up being noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed 10 nights with a large group of golfers and partners. Room was large and bed comfortable but carpet was very badly stained. Had to request cleaning staff to vacuum floor when obvious it was needed, also had to request a change of sheets. They are not very well trained in housekeeping, forgetting to refill coffee etc. Cracks in walls. One couple could not open their front door and had to use back entrance - long walk for an old couple with no car. Breakfast was excellent. Pool warm on arrival but then became cold due to some hitch. No door on toilet. Very ordinary for $113 pn. Would not recommend. Moved on to Barooga Golf Resort where room was only $90 and excellent in every way - laundry washing machine and dryer were free.

Room Tip: Ask to inspect room before deciding to stay as there are other motels close by.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daisy06660
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2012

First of all the meals were wonderful when you got them, but you did have to wait. Staff needed to learn how to smile, if the staff are not happy to be there this says alot of a business. The rooms were old, tired and run down in desperate need of a renovation. Our room was dirty, the kids bed was moved off the wall and the dust under the bed was awful along with clothing left behind from another customer - cleanliness is not at the top of their list. If you are prone to asthma then this is not a good place to stay, carpets were not fully vacumed (fluff under beds etc..)and our child suffers from asthma and this worried me. In the bathroom comfort inn sign on the window sill was dusty, but the window sill was clean. Tiles very old and mould growing on back of sink in the silicone/gaulking chalk used around many tiles. All the bathrooms need to be renovated from what I have heard off other customers very 70's 80's. Only good thing was shower had great pressure. The beds were old and the decor old and the bed covers very dated. I know it is only 3 1/2 stars but the photos they have on their website are not a good indication of what they offer and I am not sure when they were taken of this property if even if they are of this property. I went of the photos when making our booking and I was totally tricked or even decieved when I arrived. So please do not make a decision to stay there on these photos. We Used the pool area, which had one toilet, but no door, the door was lying against the wall waiting to be repaired, so you cannot use the toilet if you wanted to without its door, sauna not in use, but pool area generally clean and inviting. Reception area very clean and tidy and modern - then you get to your room and it is old and run down, very depressing actually, glad I only had to sleep and go. Location is out past the arch but this suited us for what we had to do. I was told they have a lot of bus's stay here. We paid $185 for a family room of which when I booked was led to believe it was two bedrooms, but it was only a small division. Not happy and would not stay here ever again. It made my stay very depressing and I couldnt wait to get out of there. I will be contacting Comfort Inn hotels directly on my dissapointment and this place giving comfort inn a bad name.

Room Tip: Stay Somewhere ELSE!!!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ozzitraviller
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed in October for one night. Room very outdated and old. Supposed to be executive...overrated..uhf milk out of date, spa didnt work, carpet very worn, shower had step, when asked no step. Feedback given when leaving receptionist seemed very disinterested. Wouldnt recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed for one night at this place with friends of ours staying in the room next door. Although it looked good from the outside, it was a bit "tired" and dated on the inside. The rooms were clean enough but the bathroom was in need of an upgrade. As we were literally passing through, it was good enough for the one night stop but we would pick somewhere else for a longer stay. The location is good and with a bit of tlc it could be a great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple