Craig's Royal Hotel
US$97
Mercure
Sovereign Hill Hotel(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$85
Quality Inn & Suites The Menzies(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$80
  • Pool
Sovereign Park Motor Inn(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$133
TripAdvisor
Comfort Inn & Suites City Views(Ballarat)(Great Value!)
US$103
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewshigh teacontinental breakfastroyal suiteold world charmgallery restaurantmain barmains and dessertsrestored hotelvalet parking isvalet servicesuperior roomdinner packagestep back in timegrand old hotellast saturdaylovely lunchgold rush
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel a few weeks ago and it was positively delightful.

The hotel is beautifully decorated with gorgeous period furniture and trimmings. My room was a deluxe room with a balcony. The bed was the main feature of the room being a magnificent four-poster that was extremely comfortable. There was also great tea and coffee facilities in the room which made it very easy to settle in for the afternoon with a good book.

The hotel staff were absolutely excellent both in the lead-up to my stay and during my time there. When I was booking the hotel I had a good chat to them about accommodating those that may have limited mobility. They were so very helpful in assisting me to book a lovely room that had easy access (ie. did not require any steps or stairs). They were also great in finding out about local dining options too.

The location is fantastic. It's right across from the threate and right in the heart of town so you can wander up and down the main street. Included in the cost of your room is valet parking so you don't have to have your car out of the street overnight or worry about paying for your parking.

The restaurant was really lovely and dinner there was delicious. Breakfast is also included in your night's accommodation. While it was yummy, my only little disappointment during my stay at the hotel was that breakfast was only a small continential offering and didn't include any hot dishes unless you purchased them.

Overall, a really lovely stay and highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This hotel is a lovely surprise, located in central Ballarat. The twin room was tastefully decorated in old world style. Room was quite spacious, and we had a nice big bathroom, with a wet shower.
However, there was no bath. The only drawback to our room was, that there was only one window, which was located in the bathroom. On check in, we were personally shown to our room. Valet parking is also provided for the guests.
The Hotel is very quiet, decorated in old world style, and in a great location. The only jarring note is the gaming room which is visible from the reception area. The breakfast room is in a conservatory, which is very light and attractive. Continental breakfast was included in our rate, and consisted of cereals, pastries, fruit, yogurt, toast, juices, tea and coffee. Service was excellent, and staff pleasant. They have nice sitting areas in the lobby, also a cafe and gift shop.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank fawkolgirl
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Craig's reeks of nostalgia. Elegant stairway, beautiful ambience, pleasant and efficient staff. My car was valet parked before I'd completed check-in. I was escorted personally to my room.
I couldn't stay for dinner because of a business meeting, but when I returned at 9.15pm my request for a cheese platter and glass of wine in the elegant restaurant was enacted with charm. Two glasses of Ballarat pinot later and I was relaxed for a relatively early night. My omlette at breakfast was perfectly cooked, attentive and friendly staff, where there was no rush, no rapid clearing of plates but just an attentive enquiry as to whether I'd finished (the omlette was huge!). Check out and my car was at the front door as that was completed. The building is opposite the theatre, and next time, I'll be back with my wife for a show.

Room Tip: Listen to 3AW in Melbiurne for promotional opportunities.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I reserved a 2 night package with one dinner and continental breakfast each day included in a superior room that was supposed to overlook a courtyard. The room allocated on arrival was at the very back of the hotel and overlooked an untidy yard where guests cars are parked. The room was pleasantly decorated with quality fittings, toiletries and linen. The furniture and fitting were well chosen to give an excellent period impression of this great hotel.
The very high mattress on the bed were less easy to deal with a for shorter people and are a challenge to heave yourself up onto the bed (no footstool to help). And you could only view the television if you were up on the bed which was a nuisance. The free wifi didn't work either. The food in the gallery restaurant for dinner was excellent as was the Sunday High Tea in the dining room. All staff were pleasant to deal with and wore smart uniforms. After we returned home I checked my bill and felt I had been overcharged so I queried it and received a fast reply and refund. Apparently the room we had originally reserved wasn't available at check in so they had upgraded us to a deluxe suite (without telling us this). We weren't thrilled with the room we were allocated so I don't know how we would have felt with the originally booked room. A free tour of the hotel following the High Tea revealed some truly delightful rooms however the cost of them may be more than our budget allows.
I have suggested that they upgrade their website to clearly show pictures of the various categories of rooms available perhaps with floor plans to help prospective guests. We would like to stay there again in the future provided we could be properly be assured of the room we were getting, with a bed we could easily get onto and a TV that you can watch from a chair. Craig's Royal is a great hotel and, despite my comments I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Check clearly with the clerk exactly what type of room you are booking.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lionel41
Reviewed 26 January 2012

What a grand old lady this hotel is! She has been beautifully restored. From the moment you walked in you feel welcome from the decor to the peaceful friendly atmosphere. The coffee shop is ideal for a special gift just your own quiet time to enjoy a step back in time. The bistro has a certain Whow factor. Again it's peaceful and well decorated..souring glass ceiling is a added bonus. Food is a little expensive but well worth it with an excellent choice of yummy food. It's well worth the extra dollars to sit and feel relaxed while you eat!!

• Stayed: January 2012