“Do expect too much?”

Description: suburban type pub with a modest bistro but great food
Melbourne, Australia
“Do expect too much?”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

As more pubs become gourmet dining, I wonder do we expect too much?

This is a nice pub with a large dining area. Keno results are displayed on one screen, and there are probably pokies in a room somewhere.

I expected standard fare on the menu - steaks, chips, pasta, etc .,,, and they certainly had these, but I was also surprised to see the asian pork belly, and some interesting salad options.

In keeping with country serving sizes, my dish came out with a large chunk of pork belly. But unfortunately it was dry and the corners were a bit chewy. My wife's salad was wilted, and some of the leaves were definitely past their use by date.

The kids had fish and chips - the fish was ok but the chip serving was paltry. We had to order a separate bowl of chips ... which turned out to be a large serve.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

So if you want standard pub fare, and quantity over quality, the place is fine. Just keep your expectations set at the right level.

• Visited July 2014

Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
“Nice Night”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Helpful staff, good food and plenty of it. Food and drinks were reasonably priced. Classic country pub atmosphere and only a short walk from where we were staying for two nights.
When I'm next in Bendigo I will visit again.

• Visited October 2013
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“awesome”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

great food - large meals, wonderful service, friendly staff, welcoming atmosphere. would go again definitely! Yummy

Visited October 2013
Bendigo, Australia
“Classic, consistent pub style meals”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I go here about once a fortnight as it's close by and never fails to deliver on good quality classic pub style meals with a bit of a modern twist. Thursday night is $20 seafood night and it's great value with a few different dishes to share. There's classic pub food like parmas, steaks and the fried sea food basket, but for something different try the seafood paella, grilled mushroom burger or one of the pastas. It's really good value with most meals around the $16 - $25 mark.

Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My lamb was still Baaaaing”
Reviewed 2 May 2013 via mobile

We went here for lunch on a Tuesday. When we arrived we were the only ones in the whole place, I should have taken that as a clue to what was to follow. We both ordered the 4 crumbed lamb cutlets on a bed of mash with Veggies. I think it was $26.00 each. The wait was ok I think it was 15 minutes and when the meals came out they looked great. I did notice that our 4 cutlets was only 3 but the looked good. The crumb on all of them was really thick but the cutlets were all raw. Don't get me wrong I do like my lamb pink but this was beyond pink it was still in the paddock Baaaaing. We will not be returning.

• Visited April 2013