“Everything is perfect !!”

Bendigo Backpackers
“Everything is perfect !!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We were three students (2 french and 1 aussie) and had a great time ! Clean, cheap, well situated, nice host, free wifi, free laundry, free coffee&tea. What else ? Perfect place for a short stay, close to shopping spot, restaurants, bars and nightclubs. It matches perfectly with family, students, couples, hips of friends, anybody will be pleased !!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 February 2014

After seeing the reviews that are quite negative about this place at the start we were quite aprehensive about staying here.. we are 3.

After traveling over from Perth we have stayed in our fair share of crap, dampy, overpriced places. And in reality this place does feel like your home. With free wifi, free washing machine (free powder too) free tea coffee as well, you can feel that the owner especially goes out of his way to make you feel welcome.

But above all this isnt a Palace or a YHA (it lacks the price of one of them too) and it does have one or two cobwebs in some places but to me i couldnt care less, thats not what matters to me.

Having arrived on a thursday the owner gave the three of us (it must have been quite recently) a 6 person dorm so we could stay together and the beds and bathrooms are in good condition.

Overall and ultimately i am very satisfied.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed one night in this Hostel on our way to Camberra. The service is excellent, free Wifi, free laundry, nice host, clean kitchen and bathrooms, a common room with TV and sofas. The room was comfortable and spacious. The quality price ratio is really good. I totally recommend this place, especially if you want to walk around Bendigo because everything is really close, nice restaurants, café and shopping are 10 min away by walking.

1 Thank Marion C
Victoria
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I booked three rooms to stay at the Bendigo Backpackers two weeks prior to needing accommodation for a reunion we were to attend locally, however, just three days before check-in I received a phonecall to confirm "ONE" room had been booked. It didn't seem to matter to the manager that I could prove the booking with printed confirmation - which clearly shows I had asked for three rooms. I am totally disgusted by their inept and careless management. They'd obviously double booked the rooms and we were the ones who ended up with the short straw. I now have to fine alternative accommodation for the weekend at short notice. Not impressed - not by a long shot. If this is the way they run their bookings office then I can only say we're probably lucky not to be staying at there. Bad form. Not recommending this place to ANYone!!

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelStamp

Travellers are raving about these Bendigo hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

It is so SO hard when writing a review not to let the actions of your fellow guests influence your judgement of a place. Their impact on the hostel leaves with them. We stayed overnight and shared the place with a large group of what seemed like Uni students basically and we felt like we were crashing their party. They weren't impolite (in fact we were invited to go clubbing with them), but they were very loud and dominated the hostel with their food and drink left all over the place. I suppose had the hostel had on site staff they could have attempted to reduce the impact of this group on the other guests. But hey, it was part of my experience.

The room was quite comfortable and very clean. I shared with a friend who was also quite happy. The bathrooms were not exactly clean, however it looked like they had been just been used by a whole load of girls beautifying themselves with hairs all over the place. I mean ALL OVER THE PLACE. The kitchen was untidy, again strewn with empty bottles and takeaway containers.

The person that checked us in was as eager to get out of the place and seemed to be as awkward walking through the party as we were, but made no apology for it. Once they gave us the key they quickly locked the reception and went home.

It was a short walk into the centre of Bendigo which was pretty cool too.

All in all I think the problem here was the lack of supervision through the lack of on site staff. Who I presume was the owner checks you in and leaves everyone to their own devices. They could have at least attempted to manage the group or failing that clean up after them. But don't let one saturday night take away from the fact the hostel is well located, had clean and comfortable rooms, and presumably with a different crowd would have been a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank S1m0nT
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I checked into this backpackers slightly wearily because of the reviews that i had read on this site and the place couldn't be anything further from any negative comments below.

The check-in was orderly, friendly, efficient and at a great price.

I took a private room which was straight forward but very comfortable. The room was clean and tidy and i have no complaints.

My only issue was that I couldn't work the heater so upon asking the lady on reception, she immediately came to my attention and rectified it within a few minutes even though i just couldn't figure out a simple thing...the service was there!!

The Backpackers is quiet, the TV/lounge is comfortable and the kitchen has everything that you would need and more.

I am writing this using the free internet provided.

I travel as a sales rep and will come straight back here for the duration of the time i am working here..the next four weeks.

Lastly i would honestly recommend this place to anyone considering staying here and wanted to write this to help support a cool little backpackers that seem to have had a bad experience with a bad (not to mention long gone) manager.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2013

So I decided to cheap it on a weekend to Bendigo and stay here.

The room was clean (though I slept in my sleeping bag w/my own pillow)
The owner/manager was an alright guy, let us swap rooms.

However:

The bathroom/toilets were vile
The halls were disgusting
The amenities were poor

I’d probably crash here again for the price, if NOTHING else was available in town anywhere.

Spend the extra if you have it and stay in a motel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends