“'Beautiful Birthday'”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Broadbeach, Australia
“'Beautiful Birthday'”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Due to distance, our family rarely get together, so when we do the decision where we celebrate is very important to us. On this occasion the celebration was a milestone birthday and friends suggested Oscar Ws in Echuca.
On our arrival, we were delighted with an open fire roaring, giving such a warm and atmosphere. The evening we dined was extremely busy, yet the staff were relaxed and went out of their way to insure every person at our table was related to, big ask for our diverse lot this being older, younger and youngest.
Yes, our expectations were high, however Oscar W,s surpassed this with ease, and made my birthday memorable which will be looked back on with pleasure.
Thank you from the birthday girl.

Ann x

Castlemaine, Australia
“Happy Find”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Wow

Exploring the Port of Echuca we found a little hidden gem." Oscar W's" welcomed at the door and guided to( In my mind) the best table in the house. We reluctantly left Oscar W's 2 hours later totally spoilt by the unassuming yet enthusiastic staff, along with the divine food and wine. (Great options of wine by the glass) Happily I can say we will be back to Oscar W's when next in town.

Happy Find

Melbourne, Australia
“Quite disappointed”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We were really looking forward to a special dinner at Oscar W's to finish off our holiday. The service was fantastic, really efficient and friendly, but we felt the food was disappointing. My entree of smoked trout salad was OK, but I couldn't find any smoked trout in it! There was a small amount of mousse which was supposed to be avocado - maybe that had the trout in it?? Lots of radicchio which overpowered the other flavours. My main of Murray cod was sitting in a broth which I didn't expect, so that was tasty but quite sloppy. My husband ordered the strip loin of beef (which is Porterhouse apparently), and for $45 you would expect the best steak, however he had to leave the sinuey bits, plus pay extra for chips as it only came with salad greens. Dessert was amazing - but all in all, we left quite disappointed for such an expensive meal.

Australia
“Was quite disappointed”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Whilst staying in Albury this past weekend my husband and I made a side trip to Echuca. We went to Oscar W's for lunch.

The restaurant was pricier than we really wanted for lunch and on reflection we should have gone to one of the nearby cafes. However when we entered I was struck by the decor and general ambiance. We sat at a table near the windows and it was a very pleasant view.

My first complaint is that we had to wait a while for a waiter to come near us to give us menus and take our drinks order even though the restaurant had few patrons. Once our drinks order was taken our drinks arrived promptly - different matter with our meals. We ordered char grilled moraccon chicken. Initially I enjoyed sitting at the open window, sipping a glass of excellent sparkling white wine, watching the paddle steamer go by however this palled after waiting an hour for our meal! I would find that wait barely tolerable if the restaurant was busy but as there were few tables occupied I thought the wait was excessive. After about twenty minutes had passed a waiter came and apologised for the delay but after that they seemed to deliberately avoid us.

At least once the meals arrived they were delicious but by then we were both so hungry anything would have tasted good.

I would have liked to have rated the restaurant higher as the location was excellent, the ambiance was excellent and the food was excellent but the overlong wait and the inattentivness of the waiters palled on me.

• Visited September 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Wont be back again”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is the kind of expensive restaurant which is a turn off to our family. The staff did not make us feel welcome or at home at all. The restaurant was nearly empty yet we were asked to wait. No introduction to the menu was made. I struggled to enjoy the food. I was glad to leave afterwards. I can imagine that this is the sort of place where you might take a dinner date, or a posh relative. You might enjoy a drink from the bar. The view is lovely, and the design and finish of the interior is very good. However, on reflection, we might have been better to have our lunch on the P.S. Emmylou. The location of this restaurant appears to be out of place amongst the tourist attractions. Next time we'll try that, we wont be back at Oscar W's again. I'm sure that lots of people will love this place, but not us. I'm happy to pay for an expensive meal, but it should be at least enjoyable, not a chore.

• Visited September 2013