“expecting a simple meal and beer with my girlfriend.. only to be blown away by the stupidity of the waitresses.”
Review of The Sphinx

The Sphinx
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Geelong
Reviewed 26 May 2012 via mobile

my girlfriend and i went here expecting a simple porterhouse and a beer and the service was appauling. apparently one of the blonde (and i do mean blonde) barmaids had her non existent hearing aid switched off. unable to hear "pot of draught" and"millers" and insisted they have no millers beer despite the fact its in the menu and right behind her. also wasnt even asked how i liked my steak cooked.

love the setting but the service is sub par due to staff who seem devoid of any intelligence.

• Stayed: May 2012
There are newer reviews for The Sphinx

Reviewed 17 April 2012

I like most people who read or write these reviews like the honest feedback that warns us off sub-standard places. But to be fair, this place is considerably better than the reviews here. Which are fairly old. I stayed here for three nights a month ago and was genuinely worried by the reviews before I arrived. But on check-in the staff were great, actually, better than many expensive places.

So i then prepared myself for the scary accomodation that was coming my way!. I put my key in the lock, opened the door and.... smelled fresh paint! Yep this room had been refurbished and was amongst the better motel style rooms in Geelong.

The management here has done a fairly good job to make staying pleasant. I didn't eat here but others i spoke to did and reported that it was not bad at all. If you are looking for top shelf maybe look elsewhere. But The Sphinx does a good job of providing clean, secure and decent accomodaion as part of a good pub. Worth a go. :)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank RP37
Reviewed 20 October 2011

The only good thing about this hotel is the city its in.
I had the room with the "spa". Which was a rather disgusting bathtub with a few hairs inside.
The price they charge was just outrageous. Not really a place to come back to!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Jekoko
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Rooms were very basic, not at all like the website, The pool was more then green with beer bottles, and rubbish floating in it.
The was no breakfast service or any fresh milk, towels or linen delivered daily
Meals were way over priced
The Rooms are located behind the hotel, hotel is open until 3 am with no car park security, we had a hired car that we ended up leaving in park wood motel up the road.
over all we found it to be a very bad experience and would never ever stay again. there's a much better option up the rd, Park Wood motel .

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SydneyLittlegem98
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The sphinx has once again disappointed our expectations. We stayed at the establishment as well as experienced the nightlife and dining.

Accommodation:
I wouldn't recommend it at all. I know some upgrades have been done, but not alot has changed. The carpet is still putridity stained and dirty. We tried to get the heater to work, but it wouldn't, so we froze most of the night.

Dining: The food was awful. The seafood basket was full of fat and fried food. Anything that wasn't fried was stone cold. Some sort of abysmal salad was propped on the side, but i couldn't bring myself to eat the entire meal. The amount of fat the food had been cooked in was evident because the food was soggy and tasteless. A little like cardboard actually

Nightlife:
Friday night is karaoke night at the sphinx. Three time my partner had to change because of some stupid dress code they have after 10pm. They will not accept white dress shoes or his uncollared shirt, even though it was quite tasteful and had been bought at David Jones! Meanwhile, there were men in work boots and singlets in the bar area that we were not being allowed into?

I cant continue on, we wont be back. I am considering contacting consumer affairs at this stage for our money back. I do hope others take our advice because the experience was less than satisfactory and we'd like to think it doesn't happen to anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank serena1244
Reviewed 20 December 2009

i have never ever stayed in such a disgusting place... and to have to pay 115 a night., we booked from the lovely sphinx site on the internet. nver again will i do that. the room was absolutley disgusting. carpet putrid bed looked like a two year old had made it. and blankets and pillows were filthy.luckily we had our own. not fan no windows to open. and its was hot in geelong. everything about the room was dirty bathroom was filthy we had thongs with us otherwise we could not use shower.as for their so called mini bar and continental breakfast they advertise you have to pay for the breakfast and mini bar is missing.then we get to the swimming pooland spa.ducks wouldnt even swim in it.truely a very disappointing experience. biggest rip off ever.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eaglesPerth
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I went on uesday 20th October and ordered the lasagna. It was "swimming" in orange fat!!!! It was so bad I had to mop up the fat with a serviette, but unfortunately the orange fat had run underneath the chips making the whole meal greasy and unedible.

You would think that anyone worth their weight in the hospitality industry would have sent it back to the kitchen to at least be replated. No..... says a lot about the standards they have......

Give it a miss as they must buy very fatty mince - even though the price was only $10 - take you're money down the road and get something from the bakery - at least you'll be able to eat it!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business