“Perfect business hotel”

Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Geelong
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

This is a great little hotel. Located up the bay from the CBD, park an bay views are very pleasant.
I arrived late and tired and had a drink at he bar after check in. The manager took my bag to my room- initiative...I later had room service after a big day of driving. The meal was tasty, well priced, with a beautiful gooey chocolate fondant for dessert.
Staff were friendly.
Room was pleasant and comfortable.
I would stay again for business and pleasure as was good value and a pleasant surprise.
I

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
BaysideGeelongMgr, General Manager at Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear nodbod,
Thank you for your comments.
I will be sure to pass your compliments onto the team.

I am especially pleased to read your comments regarding the room service dinner

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I find myself disappointed after my second visit to this hotel. Although quite pricey the location is very good opposite the beach and the rooms are clean and comfortable for a short stay. So I booked a room through the internet and went the day before to the hotel and paid with my credit card as I didn't want my elderly mother to pay. At this time I assumed that all costs were paid...I wasn't told any different.......that was certainly a big mistake.
On arrival late at night I went to get the key for my elderly mother and was informed that I couldn't have my key without a $100 security deposit. I explained that it was pre-booked with my credit card and that amount could have been previously taken out...however it wasn't....so as I didn't have my credit card with me I had to get my elderly mother to pay the $100 security deposit. As a result she was very upset at the cost withdrawn from her account until she left the hotel.
I found the customer service extremely unhelpful and lacking any empathy with my situation...just stating that it was 'company policy and I couldn't have the key without the $100 security deposit."
As a result I will not be booking this hotel again and as I am a frequent visitor to Geelong I am sure I will find excellent accommodation and customer service elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
BaysideGeelongMgr, General Manager at Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear icehouse45,
Thank you for your feedback.
I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team.
We welcome all feedback, some of which may not be complimentary and highlights areas we need to improve whilst positive guest comments help inspire the team to excel in customer service.
Unfortunately, it is clear the team member dealing with you when paying for the stay for your mother was not thinking of the check-in procedure. I am disappointed that the people your mother dealt with on check-in were unable to clearly explain the need for a security deposit for incidentals on a prepaid room.
I have used your experience in a training session to highlight to the reservations team their need to better communicate these procedures to all guests.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed in one of the 'economy' rooms on the first floor which overlooked the internal courtyard carpark checked in around 11pm.

Basically, if you are stay in one of the 'economy' rooms you will find only one rather partial photo of the room - basically the bed - on their website. For a reason. Basically, as opposed to the rest of the rooms advertised, the economy rooms look like a relic from the past - 80s decor, old, mismatched, uninviting and with a bathroom equally outdated. Dont get me the wrong, the room was adequately clean, everything worked (even if it rattled, leaked a bit), but I suppose that initial feeling of disappointment when you enter the room never left me - as I really wasn't expecting what I got. Everything in the room just felt past its use-by date.

Maybe the fact that I was woken in the morning by a large coach idling in the carpark waiting for a elderly tour group to get up and on the bus didn't help. A little card and chocolate i found on the laminate wall unit welcoming some stranger back to the hotel, I also found also a little disconcerting.

For a hotel that has very pricey breakfasts, an upmarket restaurant attached, and great location to the bay etc - the current state of the 'economy' rooms do not fit the branding for this chain. I have stayed in many 'economy' rooms in other hotels before and these have been simply decorated and inviting.

Room Tip: Avoid disappointment. Dont go economy
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Dale-77-OZ,
Thank you for your feedback.
We appreciate your comments regarding the room you stayed in. Yes, some of our rooms have not been renovated and are marketed and sold as a 3 and a half star rooms. We are in the process of fully renovating these rooms and I am sure the difference will be notable. In the interim these rooms have new beds and curtains and enjoy all the facilities of your other rooms.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great view from room 64, excellent customer service, spacious room.
On-site restaurant black salt is an excellent place for breakfast, the full buffet is reasonably priced and has a good variety. Dinner is priced a little on the high side; however you get what you pay for as the meals are fantastic. Had the eye fillet and chocolate fondant, which combined with the view and atmosphere at the restaurant made for an enjoyable evening.
Came for a mid-week getaway and couldn't have been happier with my choice; would highly recommend!
Will be back again.

Room Tip: 64- right in the middle bring bubbles for the spa!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear mizz93,
Thank you for your comments.
I will be sure to pass your compliments onto the team especially the restaurant team.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Spa in the Bayview Apartment

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I booked a weekend away for a family catchup. From check-in to check-out the stay was absolutely wonderful.
We stayed in a Bayview Apartment which did not disappoint. Wonderful views of the bay, clean room and very comfortable bedding. The room was lovely and spacious especially given we were a family, and they happily accommodated all of our needs during the stay.
I had seen some feedback about traffic noise being on the esplanade prior to booking, however we all slept very soundly and were not disrupted by it at all, day or night.
We also dined in the restaurant, Black Salt on a number of occasions. The service was always quick and professional. My mother had a few dietary requirements and they happily catered to her. All meals were delicious and well presented. It was also my birthday and the chef very kindly surprised me with a special message drizzled on my dessert plate. We all agreed that for location and service, it was the best place in Geelong and would have to make it an annual event! A big thank you to the whole team for making it such a memorable holiday!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rebecca M

Dear Rebecca M,
Thank you for your comments.

Glad your family “catchup” was a memorable one, for all the good reasons.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Hotel is beautifully located looking out over Geelong Bay and a short, enjoyable, walk along the boardwalk to the many coffee shops and restaurants over looking the bay. We were allocated Room 43, single beds that were comfortable, large bathroom and coffee table and desk - what more do you need. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfast (cost $19) was more than adequate. Would definitely stay there again and recommend to friends. Sitting outside overlooking the bay enjoying a glass of wine late in the afternoon was very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Avoid room number 33 as it is adjacent to the door to the second floor and apparently quite noisy as...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear AllanKorat,
Thank you for your comments.
I will be sure to pass your compliments onto the team.

I’m glad you were able to take advantage of the views from the Bar & lounge.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

This is a well located hotel, reasonably priced, spacious room, parking provided and close to the esplande where it's only a 10 minute walk to main part of town.

We were able to walk along to Cunningham pier for dinner which was fabulous. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sally S,
Thank you for your feedback.
I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team.
Quality Hotel Byaside, Geelong