“Not just a pub”

Price range: US$17 - US$22
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

First visit & definitely won't be the last. Excellent service (Riley was excellent), beautiful decor & atmosphere and seriously great tucker! . Haven't tasted a porterhouse like the one on our 'share' plate for years - bought back beautiful memories. Downside - hmmm.....having my husbands chair facing the live Friday night football tv.

1  Thank CoastalTraveller1

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Overall, a thumbs up from me. The only negative comment I would make is that I get the impression that it is trying to present itself as being more upmarket than it really is. I'm not fussed at all that it's not a fine dining experience but those expecting that could end up being disappointed.

Good food with a more extensive menu than a usual pub bistro, very good service - friendly and quick - and pleasant, if a little dark, surroundings. Having a dedicated car park just across the road, which always has a spot for most lunch times anyway, is a bonus for what is almost inner city Geelong.

Don't be taken in by all the advertising and expect this to be a sophisticated gastropub. It's not, but none the worse for that.

Recommended.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Ate there with some friends and we were all underwhelmed by the meal and the price. Food was average and expensive. Good selection of wines and good service. I had lamb cutlets which were tuff and for $38 had to pay additional for some greens which were very nice but for another $9 it made it an expensive meal. Didn't go there by choice and won't be going back again unless I have to.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Yes, it's the middle of winter, and it was a Monday night, but it was my birthday and over the years we have found 'The Isles' to be consistently good. That being said, our last visit was most disappointing. Greeted at the door by the waiter, his first response when seeing our group of five was 'But you only booked for four' which seemed to indicate quite a problem, despite there only being two other occupied tables.

The wine list is very extensive but is not matched by the quality of the food or service. We all thought that despite the prices, they were just pub meals at best and when I pointed out to the waiter that my chicken was undercooked, after briefly taking it back to the kitchen, he returned with exactly the same dish and told me it was impossible that it would be undercooked. I could not eat the meal and was not offered any alternative. I would have even settled for two minutes in the microwave! This took the shine off an otherwise enjoyable evening.

1  Thank Wayne H
Reviewed 14 July 2017

Went here Friday night 14/07/2017 for dinner with some friends. They had been heavily advertising their dry aged meat cabitnet so I was keen to try a steak. I ordered the (allegedly) 400g rib eye at $42. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The steak was cooked fine but the cut I was given certainly did'nt look anything like the photo at the front of these reviews. At the cost I expect something that I would say to people "That was great" but this steak was not in that class. Further, the wine list is very overpriced. $45 was about the cheapest red I could find (Koonunga Hill) and $13.50 for a glass of moscato is outrageous.

One of our group ordered profiteroles for dessert, when they arrived they were missing the butterscotch sauce and had to be returned. Not good enough if you are trying to portray yourself as a restaurant not just a pub bistro.

All in all a disappointing experience and I for 1 will not be rushing back there.

1  Thank GeorgeV57