“Nice and Clean”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Horsham
melbourne, Australia
“Nice and Clean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel was nice and clean, the owners were very friendly and accommodating. Great pool and games room for some relaxation.These rooms have a large ensuite for that bigger family, the beds were very comfortable. Also opposite the park, where the kids can play.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

On arrival my husband asked about using our cards either frequent flyer or fly buys, the managers response was it doesn't matter what card we use it is the same price. I urged my husband on check out to attempt to use our frequent flyer card as to my knowledge we had asked on check in we didn't ask for any discount we just want to be able to claim the points. We were then told that we were given a discount for the room we received and that the frequent flyer card would cost him 6 percent, how does that work we just wanted to claim the points of staying at a Best Western which I believe is part of their deal with Qantas. We would not have stayed if we knew that he was going to reject acknowledging our card. Nearly 30 years ago I worked for Flag Inns Head Office training motel owners on the Flag system, I believe at the time this motel was part of the chain and is now with Best Western that is what being part of a chain is you get the benefits of the advertising and programs to entice customers, if you don't like people using cards associated to the chain then you should think about being an independent motel owner. Also very rude when I asked if the meal was ok at the pub next door and your response was we call them hotels here as if I was some pheasant. The rooms are very dated we will not be back!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Jenny O
GoldenGrainMotorInn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Grain Motor Inn, responded to this review, 18 May 2015
We are proud to be part of the best western chain and its rewards program. You were given a 15% discount on your room which excludes reward points. We thank you taking the time to review our motel.

Travellers are raving about these Horsham hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews so was hopeful.
Should have read the fine print. When I offered my Flybuys card for points I was told that it was not applicable due to my (slightly) cheaper price.
I read one review which said all rooms were quiet and mine certainly was very noisy due to the hotel being next door.
The room looked fine and beds were comfortable.
The Continental breakfast was very basic without any choice of cereal or juice.
The manager was very abrupt in manner. Poor start to our holiday.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steven P
GoldenGrainMotorInn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Grain Motor Inn, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Hi Stephen, thank you for the review.
We are disappointed your stay with us was less than what you expected. You purchased via a third party web site for a prepaid breakfast package $139.00 which excluded all reward programs. With your comment regarding the noise from the Hotel next door we totally agree. The level of noise from this designated smoking area in the hotel varies Sunday to Wednesday it is non existent Thursday to Saturday it becomes unbearable. Since your departure we have lodged a complaint with our local Council, they will arrange a meeting to have the noise problem solved. Due to the level of noise you had to endure if you contact us at the motel we can arrange suitable outcome.
AdelLondon!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This motel is comfortable. Rooms plain but serviceable. A/C & tv can be operated from bedside even. Its neat clean and of a good standard as a transit motel stopover but...
Beware...
theres a hotel on the western boundary where most of the units back onto. It was a Thursday night and the patrons were so noisy sleep wasnt possible until after midnight, not great for travellers planning on an early departure for either Melbourne or Adelaide!
This motel is right on the main highway between these two cities so we expected truck noise but the pub noise left the trucks for dead!!
For this sole reason we wouldn't stay again. However, if pub noise doesn't bother you or you're a VERY good sleeper it's worth considering!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AusBrit
Thank you for the review, we regret you had to endure the noise from the Hotel next door, however we have no control over Hotel. We have continually told them the noise is keeping our guest from sleeping. We are trying to find a solution that will minimise the noise level. In the interim we have decided to close our six rooms that back onto the Hotel Thursday & Friday nights which seem to be the worst nights. We are trying to arrange a meeting with the local Council to resolve the problem. If you would like to phone us at the motel we can arrange a positive outcome.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Digs of choice for me when traveling the west of Victoria. Not the newest rooms but clean, tidy and well outfitted. Most have room to set up your portable office. A little traffic noise, but I've never found it intrusive.

Make sure to book early, lots of Melbourne-Adelaide travelers, can be full from time to time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of our motel. It is very rewarding to read your comments. We totally agree with your advice for travellers to book a head when travelling from Melbourne to Adelaide Horsham fills up pretty quick during the week. Thank you again for your kind words.
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife and I first stayed at the Golden Grain decades ago, when we had young children, for family holidays in Horsham; and returned recently for an overnight stay. Its location is very handy to the picturesque May Park, a service station with a Subway and a pub. The motel exterior hasn't changed much but the interior of the guest rooms has obviously been modernised and upgraded over the years. The bedroom is spacious and the furniture and furnishings are attractive and practical. The bathroom is quite large and has very smart floor and wall tiles and fittings. The "negatives" were all small things, but annoying. Like other motels in my recent experience, the Golden Grain has three wall-mounted dispensers which dispense liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner, except that when I was standing naked under the shower, the soap dispenser was empty. Lighting in the bedroom is fine except that 2 of the 3 globes in the main ceiling light were dead. The "little notes" from management are offputting: one warning about the proliferation of ants if you leave crumbs or food lying around, another warning not to dye your hair or use bleach in your hair and then dry it on a motel towel, otherwise you'll be charged, and yet another warning not to take a bathtowel to the swimming pool (but no offer of an alternative towel elsewhere). The heated pool is still excellent and well maintained and very welcome, even in chilly autumn. Once again, there's a "little note" warning that the spa is not to be used or interpreted as a "hot tub", whatever that means. I would stay at the Golden Grain again and would try to turn a blind eye to the small things which annoy.

Room Tip: While the motel reception faces a busy road, all the guest rooms are well set back, so you'll ge...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GoldenGrainMotorInn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Grain Motor Inn, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Sorry to hear you had trouble with the bathroom dispenser a quick call to reception would have solved problem. Management notes are used to ensure our guests are fully informed on matters that may impact on their stay at our motel. It is pleasing to see you intend to return, once again thank for your comments.
Horsham, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

All my paper work said I had booked a two bedroom with spa, and the bedding config said queen in front room and three singles in rear room, and all we got was one small single room with a queen and two singles all side by side, no 2nd room for $190 for one night, I showed my paperwork to manager, pointing out the two bedroom fact and then pointed out the room config , all of which was stated on my booked confirmation , but got told that's not what I booked, my mistake I think was to ask for the key to be left out as we might be late to arrive, thus reception would be closed and I would have no one to talk to about the wrong room, but we arrived when reception was open and manager was quit taken back about me being there and questioning him as to why I didn't have 2 rooms. Very rude to tell me that I didn't book what was written clearly on my booking confirmation. You have been warned people, do not arrive late for you might not get the room you spent your hard earned money on! Very disappointing, manager should have at least said the two Bedroom ones are all full and here's a small refund , with apologies, and not try to tell me what was written clearly in front of me wasn't what I booked.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Kgwman
GoldenGrainMotorInn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Grain Motor Inn, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Thank you for the review, yes we agree your paper work showed you had reserved a 2 bedroom family room however, our paper work which I showed you indicated you had reserved a family spa room. When you make a reservation via a third party site all correspondence should be directed back to them which I suggested to you. We can understand your frustration however to suggest we left the key out to avoid talking to you is just plan silly. We are your stay was not what you had wanted but again we recommend you ask the third party site for their explanation. We will also be talking to the travel agency.