“A Great Pop Up”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Stokehouse has been a long time favourite for us as we live in Melbourne. The fact that it burnt down 2 months is shocking but the good news is that the poop up is great. We had a family dinner there last week. The menu is a combination of what was on offer downstairs and upstairs - it works very well especially as you can have a relatively inexpensive meal if you choose the snack meals. As ever the staff and service is excellent and the view - well that's always good. Get there now as I think the pop up is only there until May, Mother's Day. It's a great experience

There are newer reviews for Stokehouse

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Due to the fire in January the owners started up a pop-up restaurant as your previous reviewer mentioned. It re-opened on Valentines day and we had dinner there the following night. The menu was pretty basic and the service was good under the circumstances.
The restaurant is to be rebuilt after "Mothers day" but possibly in a different location. Will look forward to visiting it on our next trip to Oz.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The original Stokehouse burnt down about 1.5 months ago but was quickly replaced by this "pop-up" restaurant run by the same people. The style and menu is closer to the "upstairs" bit of the original but as it is now housed in a large marquis (similar to the ones used for entertainment during the Melbourne Grand Prix), it offers a unique and refreshing dining experience. The food was very good and there is a set 2 course menu for $50 per person which is good value and gastronomically satisfying at the same time. It has a lovelty location right by St. Kilda beach and on a sunny day, I can think of no better setting for lunch by the sea.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

17 January, 2014, my husband had asked me to keep this evening free, go and get my nails and tan etc done as there was a surprise for me at a secret location and this would be the last of my birthday festivities, that had commenced in December, celebrating a special birthday. My wish was we were headed to the Stokehouse and I was not disappointed plus there were a number of our friends joining us which was so lovely. The staff were great, the view stunning, and the food we all enjoyed, was simply outstanding. Carpaccio just divine, Scallops amazing, Veal superb and the signature dessert, Bombe, came complete with a candle. They couldn't have done enough for us and it was a wonderful evening to share with good friends. Just after my husband paid the bill around 11pm, the evacuation request was delivered in a calm and concise way and off we all went out onto Jacka Blvde. The Stokehouse was unfortunately ablaze and we were so dismayed to learn early Saturday that this lovely place had gone up in smoke. Thank you to the staff and management for making my dinner party so delightful and we look forward, with anticipation, to the rebuild and enjoying your wonderful hospitality and cuisine once again. Wishing you all the very best for 2014.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We were recommended to go to the Stokehouse by an Aussi we ran into in New Zealand - we are very happy we took his advice.

First, make sure you book a table *upstairs*, not downstairs in the cafe.

Second, the food was the best we had in Melbourne. Don't miss the lemon ricotti stuffed zuchinee blossom appetizer or the roasted corn and kale salad (and I hate kale). My wife had the duck (4 stars) while I had the veal (5 stars). For desert we had the white peach souffle - amazing.

The restaurant is right on St. Kilda beach so you get to see all the beach action during your meal (or sunsets, etc). Restaurant is not noisy though (there is a deck out front with sliding glass doors between you and the beach action).

Service was great - fast, friendly and full of recommendations. Dress was casual (shorts and a casual collared shirt).

Reservations recommended. As is getting a seat by the window.