“Location Location - right in the centre of everything”

Novotel Melbourne St Kilda
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Reviewed 8 June 2014

3 girlfriends spent Sunday night in a large room with queen bed and 2 singles. armchairs and coffee table in the middle of this spacious room with teamaking, barfridge and spa bath room. Cost was $288 plus $25 each for a great brekky and $20 each for undercover carparking. It's not a high quality place inside - a little tired but very spacious and clean with everything we needed and the colour tones were bright. The bathroom was sparkling and appeared to be updated.

Checkout was 10am but we went to breakfast at that time and dawdled over a full brekky till 11 or later. Breakfast room overlooks the esplinade and beach. The St Kilda Sea Baths is right opposite and we left our cars at the hotel after we checked out and spent a few hours sightseeing on foot down to Acland St and Fitzroy St and then relaxing at the Sea Baths. It was great knowing our cars were secure after checking out and that we wouldn't be slugged for public parking or booked for overstaying while we enjoyed our day.

The only down side to the Novotel is that their pool is outdoors which is no good on a wintery June day/evening but at least we had the Public Baths and the beach, both right across the road for summer holiday-makers.

Room Tip: Only 2 of everything although we booked and paid for 3. We didn't ask for extra tea/coffee, armc...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maturegirl3199

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Welcome to the Novotel St Kilda,
Such a lovely place, (Such a lovely place) Such a lovely staff.
Plenty of room at the Novotel St Kilda,
Any time of year, (Any time of year) You can find it here.
You can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave.
We will be back in February 2015 for the Eagles Concert.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Margaret S
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Margaret,

I cannot help but hum the Eagles tune to Hotel California with your review, thank you for taking such care at thought into this, the team here are truly touched by your comments and it will be shared for all to see.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require any future assistance.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 4 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Steve P

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We arrived from sunny North Qld last week for a conference that my husband was attending. The family room was very spacious and clean and plenty of room for all of our luggage. The only thing my husband was a bit disappointed about was that we didn't have an ocean view. We were on the other side of the building. Since I booked the room I didn't know that we had an option of this or not. So I would recommend asking if any of the family rooms had ocean views. St Kilda was a great area to be in. The girls and I walked down to Acland St, had a nice hot coffee and wandered around the cafes and shops. Then we decided to get a taxi and head into DFO South Wharf. This is only a short taxi ride and cost approx. $18 each way. Worth it for the shopping!!! St Kilda is a great area - plenty of eateries and when the sun is shining - which it did for 3 out of our 4 days - it is great. Breakfast was included in our package and the buffet breakfast was good. Bacon, eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, sausages etc. Also there was quiet a good variety of bread for toast. Very good stay for families.

Room Tip: We had family room on level 5 - this was at the end of the hotel corridor and very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RozMcF
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Our business trip started badly, with fight delays causing our arrival at the hotel to be delayed till about 11:30pm. When we tried to gain access to the hotel the doors from the carpark were locked. We used the intercom to try to alert the front desk of our arrival.....no response.
We tried banging on the door and continued to use the intercom for some time before I eventually pulled out my itinerary and called the hotel on my phone.
"Oh sorry sir, the intercom doesn't work!".....great!
The rooms, while clean are a little dated now and have been renovated a few times by the looks. My room was a weird layout which sort of wrapped around the rear of the building, making it impossible to watch the TV without re-arranging all the furniture.
As per other reviews, yes the elevators are noisy. luckily I was so tired that I slept ok.
The Breakfast is very expensive. I know a lot of people like the idea of a full Buffet breakfast, at the hotel, but this is not my thing. There are a plethora of great breakfast places, within walking distance - Phamish is a standout, and its just down the road towards Acland St.
On the up side - The Gym at the Novotel is Good! and there is a pool. The carpark is large with a good undercover area.
Location wise, you don't get much better, and the tram station is literally right out front.
As for my "Average" rating, well I rated my preferred hotel as "very Good" and I didn't like the Novotel as much.
For those who prefer a Hotel with meals, bar, gym etc. all on the premises, You will probably like this place, if you get the right room.
Look for a room away from the elevator and facing the bay.

Room Tip: Look for a room away from the elevator and facing the bay
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Greg S
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Greg

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on Trip Advisor. Firstly it is great to hear that our Security measures are working well however in your case, unfortunately too well. Please accept my apologies for the Intercom not working on your arrival and please be assured this has now been rectified.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Llewellyn.Wyeth@accor.com on your return visit and I am happy to personally ensure that you enjoy your next visit to us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is a little on the older side - it definitely has that "seaside hotel" feel, but check in was seamless, the room was spacious and well appointed and the view from the windows straight out onto the bay was superb.
The seafood buffet lunch was especially impressive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EJK80
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I've stayed at many Novotels within Australia and have always found them to be consistent and affordable, particularly when I was travelling with family.
The Novotel in St. Kilda has location, location, location going for it, particularly if there on a Sunday morning when the Esplanade Market is on.
The rooms are good - not brilliant but clean and simple. If possible, ask for a room at the front for a view.
The breakfast was very good and the kids chowed down for quite a while on all the food. I've eaten in the restaurant once for a conference and found the food good but not brilliant - what I'd expect at a conference.
Parking is available. Staff are helpful.
In summary, I enjoy staying at the Novotel and will continue to visit but I'm finding the price is becoming a little out of my range for what's on offer. But location is key and Novotels have placed themselves strategically at places across Australia.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Llewellyn W, General Manager at Novotel Melbourne St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Go Girl,

Thank you for providing your feedback here on Trip Advisor.

We are in the process of changing our food offering for our conference delegates and believe that the new menu will continue to offer an exceptional quality experience to our guests with a more healthier option.

We do hope we can welcome you back in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to do so.

Yours Sincerely