“Last Minute Surprise”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Sydney, Australia
“Last Minute Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We unexpectedly found ourself at Hotel Urban. The friendly staff who checked us in was accommodating, friendly and helpful. My partner and I received a discount as well as free parking. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower was also clean and well presented. Although we don't consume champagne (which isn't for everyone), it was good to see a complimentary bottle was provided.

The hotel is close to St Kilda Harbour and although it was a cold crispy winter's days, the stroll along the beach, pier and to St Kilda Pier Kiosk for brunch topped it off.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Hi Kulycia,

Thanks for your recent review.

I am always glad to here when our guests enjoy all elements of their stay, especailly the rooms, bed and our service. I will be sure to pass this onto the team.

What a shame you didnt let us know you dont drink bubbles....we are always happy to swap this over for something else you may like.

We look forward to having you visit us again sometime soon.

James Muscat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Took a Scoopon Deal with no idea about the hotel. It was better than I expected. The room and bathoom were clean and the bed comfortable. We stayed at this hotel for two nights, a Saturday and Sunday night and didn't experience any issues with regard to noise. The location is good, walkable to all that St.Kilda has to offer, which is quite a lot these days. Able to walk to great local restuarants and therefore no problems with having a wine or two - no need to drive, bonus. The hotel has a taxi rank practically at the door as well as a tram stop - number 96 tram which runs regularly, straight into the Melbourne CBD.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Maffradasher,

Thanks for recent review. Its sounds like you really enjoyed your last visit with us at Hotel Urban, and got quite a good deal on our last Scoopon offer.

I will be sure to pass your feedback onto the team.

Look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Brisbane Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a 2-day stay and were reasonably comfy. The hotel is fairly central, in a bit of a seedy area (not the "posh" end of St Kilda), with plenty of local eateries close to hand and a very noisy bar over the road, but at least the windows reduced that a bit. The bed was big and firm enough for us, although it dominated the quite "cosy" room.
A non-smoking establishment, it nevertheless had a cigarette burn in the bottom of the (pretty small) spa/bath/shower and the same bits of litter near the lift that we saw on arrival Saturday evening were still there when we left early Monday afternoon.
Staff were friendly and helpful, but we got a shock to find, on examining our receipt after we got back to the airport, that we'd been hit for a previously unmentioned "Saturday stay" surcharge of $50, which spoiled the stay! They clearly need to be more upfront about guest charges!

Room Tip: Try and keep away from the main road and its trams and traffic.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hi ianzcarr,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you found your stay at Urban St Kilda comfortable and the staff helpful and friendly. Apologies in relation to the smoke burn in your bath, but as you can imagine as a 100% non smoking hotel we do our absolute best to ensure our guests refrain from smoking, but not always do they respect this.

I have had a chance to look into the charges on your booking and have seen that it was booked through Groupon. As with all our Groupon deals, these incur a $30 Saturday night surcharge (which is the amount you where charged) payable direct to the hotel which is clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions. It seems you may of missed this upon booking.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed here one night on a Wotif deal, for a Friday night. I found whilst checking in the Receptionist wasn't friendly at all - no smile, no 'how are you?, or 'have a nice stay' etc.
The parking is quite difficult to get into and its first come first serve, so you cannot book ahead.
Once we got to our room we found it to be pretty good for the deal price, with a bottle of champagne included. The bathroom was nice and tidy also. Overall the room was nice and clean, though lacked in the arty vibe you get in the reception area and café.
Unfortunately we had a terrible sleep that night, the worst I've ever experienced due to the neighbouring room. We were kept awake till approx. 3am, after calling Reception which didn't do anything but call their room - which they didn't answer. It was really disappointing in their behalf, because we were in a split room with the connecting door locked - so we could hear every noise each other made. Surely they had other rooms available to put us in, even if we did pay via Wotif on a cheaper room deal. All in all it was quite disappointing as it was for my boyfriends birthday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room way from the elevators and not a connecting room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WeLoveMelbourne
Hi WeLoveMelbourne,

Thanks for your feedback. So sorry to hear that there were elements of your stay that didn't meet your expectations.

Your comments regarding the lack of service provided by our reception team at check in are very concerning and certainly not the level of service that the team is trained to provide.

In relation to the car parking it is unfortunate that we only have 30 spaces in our own carpark. Ideally many of our deals are sold with carparking and keeping this in mind we have to reserve them for these guests. On a postitive note, there is a multi-level carpark next door which is 24hrs and offers car parking for only $2 more than the hotel, I hope this was offered to you as an alternative.

I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to show you that the level of comfort which you experienced on this stay is not reflective of the usual high standards our guests normally experience. Should you choose to stay with us on your next visit to St Kilda please get in touch with me directly on jamesm@hotelurbanstkilda.com.au and I will be sure to look after your booking personally.

Thanks again

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Whenever I book hotels I make sure the room has a tub as it's not a luxury I'm able to enjoy in my shower-only apartment. This room did not disappoint with it's large bath in the bed area. You can lie back and watch a movie on the big screen TV. There is plenty of space to spread out with a separated bathroom containing a basin, shower and toilet. The room is very clean with shiny tiles and a spacious desk to put a laptop and newspapers, as well as eat. The bed was extremely comfortable with a firm mattress and soft underlay.

There was not much to criticise with regard to the room itself however there were some minor disappointments. When checking in I asked if there was room service for dinner and was told yes. I phoned to order a meal at around 6:20pm and was told the kitchen was closed. I find this rather baffling considering 6:30 is still early, and I was not told the cut off time when checking in. I was advised to try MenuLog which was fine but most of the restaurants listed have a $25 minimum order which makes it a bit expensive for one, not to mention wasteful. My order arrived within an hour with no cutlery or napkins and therefore I had no choice but to eat my dinner with a teaspoon (or go downstairs in my pjs and ask for cutlery). But overall not a major issue.

The other minor thing was that the TV had minimal channels so I would recommend bring an iPad with GooglePlay and spend $10 on the wifi.

Overall a very comfortable stay with friendly staff. One night was not enough.

Room Tip: Get the round room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hi Lindleann,

Thank you so much for your recent review. We too also love our unique Round Rooms, and they are so popular as we only have two....nothing better than relaxing in large spa whilst cathing up on some TV.

Glad you slept well on our Urban Snoorer also, they are so comfy, so much so that we even sell them to our guests. Feel free to call us directly if you want to know anything further about how you can own your own.

Apologies about the miss-communication regarding Room Service we recently trialed having the kitchen close on a Sunday night due to Winter but have now reopened.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here during March 2014.

The hotel was being renovated which involved noisy works and hindered entry/exit from the building. However, no apologies or compensation was made for the inconvenience.

Our room wasn't available at the agreed check in time and we had to wait for another hour.

The service was not friendly or welcoming, some staff seemed more interested talking to their friends or watching sport on the TV rather than helping guests.

The room itself was dirty, including hairs in the corners of the bathroom, stains on ceiling, urine stains at the back and under the toilet seat, unknown stains on the duvet cover and the furniture in poor condition. As an example of the poor standard, a piece of dental floss remained on the floor of the main public corridor for 3 days.

Our view out of the window looked out onto the neighbouring building's roof. Which would have been fine except it looked like Oscar the Grouch's living room. One day we were looking out the window and watched the cleaner in another hotel room wipe off the water tumblers with a bathroom towel.

Overall, really disappointing because the TripAdvisor rating had made it seem really good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Rydges St Kilda, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Hi Shelley F,

It was unfortunate that we were undergoing our facade and entrance refurbishment during your stay, and although we did our best to manage the noise there are always times when this is not going to be possible. On a positive note the works are now all complete and we have had nothing but positive comments about our new look.

Your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room and the level of service provided by our reception team are very concerning and certainly not the level of service that the team is trained to provide. I do wish that you had taken the opportunity to ask for me during your stay to discuss your concerns as I would have been able to take action on them immediately and do whatever possible to resolve them whilst you were still staying with us.

Thanks again

Travellers are raving about these St Kilda hotels

Mildura, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had never really stayed in this area before but I was having trouble finding any hotel in the Melbourne CBD over this particular weekend. I found this gem as a Last Minute Secret hotel and was overall really happy. It said it was a 4.5* however I would rate it a good 4*. Our room was on the third floor and had no view to speak of (trashy rooftops) however this had the bonus of being away from the road and we heard absolutely no road noise at all.

The room had a king bed which was very comfortable, good heating (split system), clean bathroom with good water pressure and a decent sized flat screen tv. It was fairly austere but we had no complaints. My only issue about the beds were the pillows - they were either super flat or really high.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. There are a lot of restaurants on the same same road but also within a short walk to Acland street and surrounds. We caught the tram in and out of the city very easily - there is a tram stop almost across the road. Very convenient. In fact I think I will consider St Kilda for future trips where I usually stay in the CBD as I loved the vibe of the place and the lovely esplanade area.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay again if I got the room at the right price.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hi JustAllie,

Thank you so much for your positive review on Trip Advisor. There is nothing better than booking a mystery hotel and discoverying a little gem.

It seems that you enjoyed Hotel Urban for everything we want it to be. I will be sure to pass on all your feedback to the team.

Our beds (Urban Snoorer) are very popular and our guests are always commenting on them, so much so that we now even sell them to them. If your keen to know more about how to purchase one let us know and we will be happy to assist.

Glad to hear you will be back to visit us again.