“Don't stay there!”

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Whanganui, New Zealand
“Don't stay there!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at the Oslo during November 2013.
The proprietor was very welcoming and friendly, HOWEVER, when we got to our room, we were a bit shocked.Too late to find other accommodation & we had had to pay all money up front when we arrived.
The room was spacious but not very clean. The microwave in it was really filthy, and under the bed - well! There was a wardrobe - we didn't use it and the one trip to the kitchen had us buying two plates, mugs, knives and forks, and a large bowl from a local charity shop. We ate in our room and rinsed our dishes in the bathroom. We did our washing at a local Laundromat.
Plugging in the kettle, fridge & t.v. on one multi-board blew the fuse. Luckily an electrician was in the building. He told us that all the sockets are wired on lighting cable i.e. 4 amp and not safe!
The bathroom (3 showers & 3 toilets was cleaned once in 7 days. Disgusting hygiene and cleanliness all over.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joy B
accomodate, Manager at Oslo Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
It is a rule of the hotel that all paid up front on arrival and if you dont want to stay you dont have to. Everybody can see their room before they pay if they want - no problem. WE have brand new laundry facilities on site but these guests elected to schlep their stuff down the street.
Our bathrooms are cleaned everyday and when we are busy they get used alot. WE cant have a cleaners 24 hours a day for budget accomodation - prices would have to go up.
These guests should be happy that we have new circuit breakers on our switch boards which keep the building safe if their is an electrical fault . It swtiches off the power and hence our elecrtrican on site fixed the problem - big deal!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

i first stayed here in october 2012, i walked in and thought omg, what have i got myself into but actually within a few days I'd made friends and learnt to like the place, i lived there for a month then came back in december 2012 for 2 weeks. we had the best parties at this place, new years was absolutely amazing although the mess left behind wasnt good, was mainly done by long termers at the hostel to be fair!! i then came back when i was travelling on my own i may, where again i'd made friend with lots of people and i ended up staying there for 4 months before i moved to a house. yes it is basic, yes it could do with a clean and yes there are people that have lived there for years that are a bit cranky but for $150 a week in the heart of st kilda you kinda get what you pay for. this place became home to me and as much as it has its faults i would hesitate in going back!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ginalara_x
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Reminds me more of a crack den than a hotel. Awful staff, really grubby, blood all over the bedroom carpet and the whole place stinks of weed. You couldn't pay me to go back again. Prisoners get better accommodation and they are being punished.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Britabroad92

Travellers are raving about these St Kilda hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

I booked a night stay for 48 dollars thru bookings.com. Was told on arrival that the booking hasnt beeen paid for and would be paid on arrival plus a 20 dollar key deposit which was also news. Nothing said on the website about this. It did the job for the night but the place needs a refurbish. The beds are old. The host even asked on leaving to being the sheets down for washing before checkout. Isnt that his job ? The guys attitude also stank he looked disinterested, took multiple calls engaged in conversation with another person thru checkout. Would only stay here again if it was the last option. thru phonecalls theu che checkout have the impression it was inconvienint or

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cappygolucky
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Me and my friend didn't even stay at this hostel but when we called to enquire about availability the man on the other end of the phone was so rude!!! He did not make pricing clear at all so when questioned he then came back with a very rude comment on "not being very good at maths in school". Being so disrespectful to people trying to find a bed for the night in a place you have never been before and then greeted over the phone by a vile attitude puts you off completely! Along with the other 50 terrible reviews on it being the worst hostel in St kilda and the dirtiest!! Be warned if you stay here!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hayley S
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was one of the worst places I ever stayed in!! The rooms were dirty, toilets had piss stains down the front of it for three days, carpets on stairway didn't look like they were cleaned for weeks, the reception was a waste of time, wifi the worst I ever used and the main computers are shockingly slow my advice find somewhere else to stay this place is terrible

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Sicknote27
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have no problem staying in simple places that have basic commodities. I have been in places where there is no water or the bathroom does not work properly, or the room doesn't seem clean enough. But it has been in southeast Asia! We are in Australia and I would expect something better than what Oslo offers to backpackers. For the same price and the same amount of time you can stay in other hostel with much better conditions. When I stayed, the room was really cold. Bed linens were really yellow. the bathroom was a mess but still I had to take my showers. During a night guests were screaming with loud music from 8.30 pm to 2.30 in the morning! With a clear sign of keep it quiet after 11 pm and no one else to tell them to keep it quiet. The social areas were really dirty and I did not even risk to cook anything in the kitchen. I agree with another comment, even if in booking.com there is an offer of parking spaces, well, there is not. My car was even towed away from the front of the hostel and no one said anything to me. It is unfortunate that this place has these features. The building could be a great place if managed differently. Its location is also great, just a short walk to the restaurants and the sea, and I love the sea. Another good thing about it is that I spotted a possum in the front yard! That was great. I recommend you to stay here if you are really in a short budget. After all, you will have a bed and a room, something that not everyone has nowadays.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Hotel Claremont
#108 of 160 in Melbourne
Quest St Kilda Bayside
#1 of 19 in St Kilda

Been to Oslo Hotel? Share your experiences!