“Must have changed since the last reviews”

Kimberley Gardens Hotel & Serviced Apartments
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in St Kilda
Adelaide, Australia
“Must have changed since the last reviews”
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My daughter and I, as well as 2 other kids stayed here during a trip to Melbourne for a sports event that they were competing in. We had previously booked somewhere else, but it was completely inappropraite for kids.

The staff at the hotel were exceptionally helpful and calming after I had spent nearly 4 hours trying to find accommodation for 6 nights in an apartment in the St Kilda area and was stressed. They had a 1 bedroom apartment available with a pull out sofa in the loungeroom which sounded perfect.

We found the master bed very comfortable althought the sofa lounge matress was probably only suitable for kids and not adults.

The bathroom was bright and very clean. The only thing was, it looked like it had a spa which we were excited about, but it definately did not operate anymore so we made good use of the indoor pool and spa which were great after a long day out.

The heating in the apartment was thermostatically controlled and looked fairly new, although it was in the main loungroom and kitchen and did get a bit chilly in the bedroom overnight.

I found the outside patio from our room a nice place to chill and have a coffee while the kids enjoyed some easy access to fresh air.

The internet charges very reasonable being able to purchase either a download amount or a timed amount without download restrictions. The connection and speed were great.

There is a restaurant on site, but seemed very expensive just for a burger. There is a menu in the room from a local Pizza and Pasta place which delivers and then they will charge back to your room. What a great service and great food!!!!

There was a full kitchen with dishwasher, microwave, hot plates and oven. The fridge was a small bar bridge and was not in the main part of the kitchen but in a small part of the loungeroom. The 1st night was a bit annoying with the noise of it going on and off but the kids got used to it after that.

We had no problems with getting a car park each day when we returned and most of all we found it very quiet and peaceful.

Definately will stay again next time.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Brest, France
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed in that place for tens days, first in an apartment then a regular room (much cheaper...). The apartment was very nice, perhaps a tad drab in its decoration, but pleasantly furnishe, roomy, and with a suitable range of amenities. The "spa" apartment was much the same but consists of only one room. There are micro-wave ovens in a room near the pool, and coin-operated laundy, each room and apartment has a nice shared patio. All in all, a pleasant stay and extremely helpful staff (my cab did not show up to take me in the morning, the reception desk employee took me in her car as she would have for a friend). Very quiet. All in all very recommended if you have to be in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Alceste
Thornhill ON
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Room was big but a funny shap so did not fit the 4 of us very well
No room service on a Sunday
Expensive with a surcharge for the 2 kids of $50 per night
No free internet
The Spa bath was very weird and hard to get in and out of to have a shower
We stayed there only because it was in the Jewish area and we wanted to be in this area
Resturant was OK

• Liked — iN THE RIGHT AREA
  • Disliked — It was only just OK value for money
  • Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank KiwiinToronto

Travellers are raving about these St Kilda hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2009

I stayed at Quest East St. Kilda for 3 nights in spring 2007. Things started out great, but become worse. As I entered, I was pleasantly surprised at how modern and "American" feeling the hotel was. The staff at the front desk were exceptionally professional, curteous and polite. A delight. The hotel has two levels, and both feature wide long corriders that are very bright, with plenty of natural light coming in. Unfortunately, this means that the hotel heats up very quickly in the warmer weather. Not only that, but there is a large artificial pond in the center of the hotel, and combined with the warmth, it adds a great deal of humidity to the air. When I entered my room, I found it to be quite large, clean, and modern. Unfortunately, the rest was a nightmare. Basically, I had 4 major complaints about the room. Firstly, the bed itself was about as hard as a rock. I could not sleep, at all. Beds in other rooms appeared much the same, and this indicates inexpensive furnishings - i.e., cost cutting. While some people do prefer hard beds, I for one, do not. The next problem was the noise. The hotel is set in a suburban area, so my room faced the backyards of houses. When I arrived in the room, in the afternoon, I was tired and wanted to take a nap. After 5 minutes, I was awoken by the sound of screaming children. My room appeared to face a daytime day care centre (no less than 10 metres away or so), and the noise of young children shouting and yelling continued for hours. In the morning, this noise once again started - this time it wasn't just children, but barking dogs as well. My third complaint was the air conditioning - which was so noisy, even when wearing earplugs, that I could not sleep. And finally, the curtains, when closed, do not keep out nearly enough light for enjoyable sleep. When fully closed, much light enters under, at the sides, and on top of the curtains, making the room still fairly bright. Perhaps I am too fussy when it comes to sleep, but I am certain that at least 1 out of the 4 major room complains that I have listed would bother people. Lastly, the parking - it's very limited. While free, if you arrive back at your room late at night, you will often find that the car park is completely full, meaning you will have to park on the street. On the final night, I had to do this, and the next day when I returned to my car, I found it covered in some kind of sticky residue all over, in the form of little spots all over the entire car. It washed off, with some elbow grease and about 2 hours of my time, but this is not the hotel's fault, obviously.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank MarkGreenburg
Wellington
Reviewed 6 January 2008

Looking for a place to stay near my daughter, I saw "Quest Serviced Apartments" and looked no further.
But though what service there is (from the nice young people on reception) is fine, these are scarcely apartments - three cups, saucers, plates and cutlery sets + a kettle (the first one didn't work but I got another within 30 minutes; my Sydney friend had to wait a day or two for her replacement ) and a toaster that would have had to be plugged in in the bathroom do not an apartment make. No chance of even limited self-catering here.
And the overall impression was one of semi-abandonment - tables and chairs stacked in hallways, dying vases of flowers that just got deader during my six-night stay, weeds in the balcony windowboxes and not one outside chair.
Is Quest deliberately running this place down? if so, they should be charging less than the $145 a night I paid and the $160 a night paid by my friend.
If you value your good name, Quest, get your act together.

• Liked — its location near my daughter's house
  • Disliked — misleading advertising - these are not apartments
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank Mollie59
Manager441, Owner at Kimberley Gardens Hotel & Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 23 April 2008

I was dissapointed to read of the problems experienced by this guest. We pride ourselves on our service levels and cleanliness of our property (many satisified customers will attest to this). Nonetheless, I have taken steps to ensure that similar events do not occur in the future.

In regards to the issue of room type, Quest East St Kilda offers a range of accommodation choices including 1, 2 and 3 Bedroom Apartments all with fully equipped kitchens, seperate lounge area etc. In addition we offer smaller Hotel style Suites.

On this occasion, the guest booked and received a "Standard Suite", not an Apartment.

We do not sell our "Suites" as Apartments because indeed they are not. To avoid further confusion, we have reviewed our advertising material to ensure that our different room types are correctly represented in the market place.
Sydney
Reviewed 23 October 2007

As first time guests to Quest East St Kilda, we definately would not be staying at this location again. It appears the Quest were under new management and this was quite obvious. The function rooms on level 1 right outside the lifts were like a dump yard which was not an enjoyable view. On day 3 of our stay, the lift was fille with vacuums and tables. These items were not removed and were still in the lift when we were checking out.

Moving onto the outside of the Quest, there appeared to be a strange smell of rubbish & waste disposal.

Apartments are not serviced on Sundays & we had to go to reception to collect our own towels after requesting them.

The rooms & relatively central location are the only positive about these serviced apartments.

I would advise the Quest to act quickly on solving these problems and create an environment and level of professionalism which an apartments of this nature deserves.

• Stayed October 2007
1 Thank sydkitty
Yes, you are quite correct and we do apologise for the excess "clutter" of tables, chairs and other equipment.

The property has long had a shortage of storage space but I am happy to say that we have now re arranged and built extra storage areas so this problem has been adressed.

In regards to servicing of the rooms, the Quest Group policy has long been to service rooms each day except Sunday and Public Holidays. Upon request, we do of course service rooms on these days. This is explained to all guests upon check in.
Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2007

I was initially aprehensive about staying here after seeing the reviews, however a friend had stayed there in december 2006 and said that the hotel had been re-opened after some renervations.
The result is really good. I asked the staff about it and they said that the hotel was closed for a year to refurbish.
I stayed in a "standard suite" which is just a hotel type room. Pretty spacious for what is in the room. Nice neutral colours and very clean.
My room opened to a nice balcony looking at a courtyard. I couldnt get over how quiet the place is, its so close to st kilda, and on a main road - youd never know it!
Staff were fantastic really lovely & hospitible!
I would stay there again no worries!

• Liked — The pool is really nice and the staff are fantastic
  • Disliked — it was a bit further away from st kilda centre than i thought... not too bad tho
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo