“Not what its raved about to be.”

BASE Backpackers St Kilda
Melbourne, Australia
“Not what its raved about to be.”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed in Base for 4 nights but wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. Heard many good things about the Hostel however, I could take it or leave it.
Stayed in a 8 then 10 bed dorm (8 dorm was $40 which is pretty expensive!) and the rooms didn't seem that clean. One morning there was glass on the carpet what someone must have brought in from theirs shoes, I cleaned it up straight away before the cleaners to save an accident. I came home that evening and the room hadn't been hoovered, so was a good job I did!! The bathrooms are anything flash and the walls are pretty thin! The sanitary bin STANK! And clearly hadn't been emptied for days and days, which is pretty gross.
Beds are pretty good, and I liked that you had lockers under them.
The food in the bar was amazing, ate there a few nights. GET THE WINGS! And was offered a free bottle of Trevi one evening, don't get that in alot of places :)
I wouldn't recommend this place if your not out to party (we were unaware) You can hear the music from your room until early hours, I have to put in ear plugs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EveryonewantstheD
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Hi there!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! We appreciate all feedback given.

We're upset to hear that we did not exceed your expectations of us. During our summer months our prices do go up - however we do provide many free activities like yoga, run club, daily tours and games in the bar.

Regarding the cleaning - we have communicated with our house keeping team to ensure a situation like yours does not arise again. We appreciate you cleaning it up yourself however, feel free to tell Reception and we can come do it for you as well - day or night :-)

Other than that it seemed like you enjoyed your stay with us which is what we like to hear. We hope to again welcome you back to Base St Kilda or another Base property in the hopes we can exceed your expectations of us.

Best wishes and safe travels,

BASE CREW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in December, just before Christmas. Arrived at the hostel fairly early in the morning (9-ish). Were able to check in but not go to our room until after 10am when everyone else checked out. We were given storage for our bags and went off to explore St.Kilda itself. The shops are brilliant, could have spent a fortune. Lots of restaurants, though steer clear of Nando's, its rubbish!!
When we returned to go to our room we were originally given a shared 4 bed dorm, however, a mix up had occurred and there was only 1 bed available. immediately staff sorted the problem and gave us a private room at no extra cost..... a bonus!!
The hostel does what it says on the tin, clean rooms, en-suite bathrooms, nothing overly fancy.
It is very noisy on party nights and you need to fight your way through the queue outside to get in.
Used the shuttle from the airport to get to the hostel and was pleasantly surprised that it was free for those staying 3 nights or more.

Room Tip: as high as possible to get away from the noise of the nightclub....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Hi
Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Melbourne, St Kilda. We take these reviews super seriously, and are really appreciative of you taking the time to complete one for us. It sounds like you had a great stay with us which was fantastic to read and exactly what we would hope for.

We hope to again welcome you back to Base St Kilda or another Base property in the near future.

Raph Kozminsky
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I booked Base due to the fact I had previously stayed here for 7 weeks in Oct - Dec 2012 and had enjoyed my stay.

Because I was staying over Australia Day/Open weekend the price was increased - this happens for various events throughout the year.
I was staying more than 3 nights so I recieved a free transfer from Melbourne airport which was good.

When I arrived I was able to put my things into my room although the bed hadn't been changed - this was fine as I just wanted a shower after a long flight. Bathroom decent size. Beds comfortable - little worn.
I had previously stayed in a 10 bed dorm but due to availibility this time I was in an 8 bed dorm. The thing I like about this hostel is that everyone is really friendly and you'll always talk to the people in your room if you make the effort.

Compared to my last stay I found this time round a little disappointing. The place seemed run down and in need of a lick of paint. The bathroom even once cleaned (daily) seemed dirty. The room is hoovered every other day.

Last time I stayed I had a room overlooking the middle of the hostel (10 bed), this time I had a room over-looking the street (8 bed) and suprisingly I seemed to be able to hear the music from the bar more this side. Having previously stayed I knew to take ear plugs so this didn't overly bother me.

I didn't eat in the bar this time but they do provide good food at good prices and have offers on each night. Thursday (Ladies night) is by far the most popular night and is always Pumping. Monday (Bingo) is a good laugh too.

There is a 24 hour McDonalds nearby. St Kilda beach is a 5 minute walk. Supermarkets - Coles & Woolworths - are both a couple of minutes away along with some great restaurants. Galleon do a great breakfast. Bluecorn, Mexican on Barkly St & Grill'd - amazing fresh burgers! Tram line a minutes walk and these will take you to the Botanical Gardens and into the city.

Taking Tram 96 into Albert Park has some good restaurants and South Melbourne market is a good place to hit - I LOVE the food here!!

Overall location is fab, but the place does seem run down. Not sure if I would return..

1 Thank dani_lea
Hi
Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Melbourne, St Kilda. We appreciate you taking the time to compete the online survey. It sounds like you pretty much enjoyed your stay with us which is great to hear and what we aim for!

We do try and repaint and update our rooms during our winter months so we're sorry if we missed spots! It's reviews like yours that help us keep our hostel in tip top condition so thank you for pointing these issues out.

Georgia Mackay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place is more like a hotel than a backpackers hostel.

Everything is very modern and clean and the place had security locks in the lifts and every corridor.

Location was great, close to the beach. Opposite Luna Park and the tram stops.

This place does have everything including an onsite bar, where EVERYONE goes, be prepared for a great night.

This really was a slice luxury compared to what we where used to, the only downside it is very pricey

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Georgia Mackay
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I could be very negative, but lets focus on the fact it is a backpackers budget hostel and that is all, it is conveniently located to the beach and many shops and amenities. Tram located convenient to Luna Park number 16 and also 96 will take you direct to Federation square, the city, great way to get around. Base can book tours for you which is good too and pick up from outside but be warned you may get dumped back at their office and find your own way back from Fed Square. Melbourne is lovely and on a very budget stay Base is the advisable option, but do not expect much sleep, clean rooms, replenished towels or usual typical amenities it won't happen, it does provide the typical hostel facilities for laundry, bar, deals and good nights in, but you really want to be out and about to have fun and enjoy the area. The female staff are all miserable, the two male we encountered were much better and more approachable. This is solely for backpackers on budget between 18 and 30 years of age to fit in and accept their operation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Hi!

Here at Base we work really hard and ensuring staff atmosphere is awesome and feedback that our staff were grumpy is seriously disappointing! If you had a few minutes please e-mail me at Georgia.mackay@stayatbase.com and let me know exactly who the staff were so that we can address those issues with them individually.

Comments like yours are vital to improving our service to travellers so please email me so we can discuss this further and better the experience people have in our Hostel. We really appreciate the time you’ve taken to write a review for us.

BASE MANAGEMENT
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at Base solo in one of the private rooms on the first floor. Everyone who worked there was super friendly, the price was reasonable, and the room was very clean and pretty nice, though not hotel-level--duh! it's a hostel!

There was noise, but again, it's a hostel, and it usually totally subsided by 1am. I come from NYC and I have a naturally late bedtime. This did not bother me. I wouldn't be staying in a hostel if it was very important for me to be in bed by like, 10pm. But they do provide ear plugs! Pleasant dreams!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
BASESTK, Manager at BASE Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Hi there!

Thanks for taking the time to complete an online survey. We appreciate all feedback but it's ones like yours that we aim for!

Base St Kilda
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hostel is a great place to stay in if your travelling by yourself. The bar and daily events in the hostel make it easy to meet new people. It's clean with every room having its own en-suite. The staff were really friendly and made the stay a home away from home. Also you can't go wrong with the location with it only being a 5 minute walk away from the beach and St Kilda high street being right next door. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Melbourne.

Room Tip: If your a girl stay in the girl only dorms because you get extra perks with them such as a free towe...
Hi

Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Melbourne, St Kilda. We appreciate you taking the time to compete the online survey. I was particularly pleased to read that you rated your overall experience as 10 out of 10!! So, It sounds like you had a great stay with us which was fantastic to read and exactly what we would hope for.

Base St Kilda