Base Backpackers St Kilda
Eildon Mansion(St Kilda)
Oslo Hotel(St Kilda)
Apartments Ink(St Kilda)
View Hotel
Rydges St Kilda(St Kilda)
The Prince(St Kilda)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsboozy bingotravel deskjob searchred eyeprivate rooma great place to meetown bathroomamazing locationcleaned dailycouple of nightsluna parkmeganmelbourneharriskitchentramst
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Base was the first ever hostel I've been at in my entire life and I couldn't have asked for anymore, it ended up being like a home away from home. Being a young female solo traveller it really boosted my confidence staying here and I had the time of my life! All the staff are ridiculously friendly and welcoming, treat you really well and are there 24\7 for your every need. The location is perfect, just a 20 minuet tram ride away from the city and about 15 minuets from Chapel street. With Acland street being a 30 second walk out of the hostel you're sorted for your food, shopping and there's loads of cafes and places to eat! The hostel facilities itself are everything you'd need, kitchen with all the utensils, lounge area with TV available for when you just want a lazy day and its also a good place to make friends. Ping pong and pool table. Computers, printers (small fee). the bar area has something different going on every night. It is noisy when you want an early night sometimes but its nothing that's going to ruin your stay and there's ear plugs available! I thoroughly recommend staying at this hostel, its perfect for the solo traveller,very safe and welcoming.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Melissa G
BASESTK, Manager at Base Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It seems like you had an amazing time with us which is exactly what we aim for!

We hope to welcome you back to Base Backpackers St Kilda in the future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hostel because the base backpackers in sydney was excellent.
The sydney x base had helpful and friendly staff with great on site security.
The same can't be said for the Melbourne x base. I stayed here because my friends were staying here. The hostel itself was clean tidy and modern with great rooms and facilities and a fantastic night club with great themes every night.
It was ok until a false complaint was made against me and around 2am in the morning the security guard asked me to leave the hostel. He was rude and was making me hurry up to pack my bags. The complaint was not investigated into and was asked to leave immediately. I am still owed 3 nights rent, the staff where rude and often un helpful I will not be staying here again. They let the side down

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
BASESTK, Manager at Base Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for leaving us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems although your stay with us was cut short due to an incident - you appreciated the cleanliness and our bar.

I'm disturbed to read that you feel you were evicted without reason. It's only in very rare instances that our security are required to help escort a guest out of our hostel and it's generally when the receptionist on duty is uncomfortable or having difficulty in doing so themselves. Regarding your refund - it is a BASE wide policy that no refunds are given on evictions however I urge you to contact me on georgia.mackay@stayatbase.com if you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at this hostel during my time in Melbourne. Met some great people and each night had a laugh.

rooms are tidy and place is modern. Staff are pretty helpful. This is a good place to start off a trip in Australia.

Location is in St Kilda, right next to the beach and places for food etc....easy to get in and out of other areas of the city

Room Tip: Go large and go mixed
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
BASESTK, Manager at Base Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you enjoyed your stay with us which is exactly what we aim for.

We hope the next time you're in Melbourne you stay with us at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA for another great time.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hostel is in a perfect location seeing that you are right at the beach, and St. Kilda is absolutely lovely anyways. It’s easy to get in the tram and go to the city center as well.

The hostel itself is quite nice, but a little over-priced..you can find cheaper ones in St. Kilda..Also at first it might seem nice to have a lot of drinking people around you, but if you intend to stay for a week or longer, it might annoy you a little bit. But for a few days, it certainly can be fun.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
BASESTK, Manager at Base Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate all feedback given and it seems like you pretty much enjoyed your stay with us.

Just so you know - we do have a lot of free activities during the week like visiting the Queen Victoria Markets, Yoga in our bar, Royal Botanical Gardens, free BBQs, Live music and bar games throughout the week just to name a few.

We hope the next time you're in Melbourne you stay with us here at BASE BACKPACKERS ST KILDA and take up all the free things we have to offer.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the girls only dorm for 2 nights. It was very clean and the beds were comfortable. It had great security and a lovely staff. The only problem was the noise. The music was on very loud until 3 in the morning! I was on the third floor and still could hear it clear!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khadijah A
BASESTK, Manager at Base Backpackers St Kilda, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Hi there,

Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Backpackers Melbourne, St Kilda. We appreciate you taking the time to compete the online survey, we value your comments submitted.

Although it seems like you had a pretty good time with us it seems that the Bar affected your stay with us which is disappointing.

Although our in-house bar can be lively and patrons come to party hard this should not have impacted on your sleep.
We have made a number of changes to reduce sound spilling into accommodation areas. These include a state of the art sound system, sound proofing, and decibel reading though a hand help monitor during the night.

We wish to apologise that noise from the bar area may have impacted on your stay.
I hope that the next time you stay at this or another Base property you will encounter a more restful night. We hope to welcome you to this or another Base property in the near future!

Best Regards & Happy Travels,