“Good start...poor finish”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We wandered down Fitzroy St, checking out options. A kindly waitress came out and told us that Bar Santo was having a '$20 for every main course' deal that night. This should have warned us that the chef had probably taken off for the evening...but we were not that quick thinking. Service started off well, with drinks and entrees provided quickly. Grilled asparagus - tick, a garlicky bread - tick, roasted olives - tick. And then all went awry.....We sat and sat and sat and sat and sat - finally asking where our main course was "5 minutes" smiled the waitress. About half an hour later they appeared. My well done (yes I know, I know) porterhouse had transformed itself into a bloody, flat square of some sort of el-cheapo skirt steak. Fried wedgey things were nice and small handful of salad ok but nothing to write home about. Even more amazing was the 'reef' addition to my item, which I'd asked to be removed. This was a bowl of what looked to be prawn shells drowning in a sea of some sort of orangey-creamy sauce, with their sad antennas poking out of the top. My friend's pasta dish was not what it purported to be on the menu and had also had a mysterious transformation from a marvellous fresh-sounding spaghetti marinara into a linguini-something with a heavy, oily looking sauce. We paid $88 for the experience and wandered sadly off into the St Kilda night, wishing we had gone to Cinta Blu after all....

Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

The lovely waitress was what redeemed this place, but thats it. The food came quick, but was not ideal for the price. Had the $15 lunch special, a calamari salad. As you can see from the photo, there were only about 5 rings and a mound of leaves. My partner asked for fries, and got roast potatos (!) instead. He said they were good though. the couple next to us got the chicken parmigiana - it looked huge. If you want value for money, that would be your best bet I think.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We ate at Bar Santo because it was cold outside, warm & friendly inside. We ate arancini & spaghetti marinara, both excellent, and enjoyed good wine by the glass.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Where do you take 'out of towers' but to Fitzroy St.
We hadn't been there for a while, so we selected the restaurant by site only. And Bar Santo's menu looked good.
The waiter was friendly - British back-packer of course - and our drinks arrived promptly.
For entrees we ordered some tapas to share... it was OK but nothing special, and the waiter apologised for the state of one entree which fell apart in the deep fryer! Why serve it I thought? Cook it again and get it right!
We watched some impressive looking mains come out... the fish and chips looked particularly impressive.
But when ours arrived, our Chicken Parma's were the smallest I've ever seen; in fact they were halved; literally. Each person got half.
The seafood risotto was OK... but 'wet'.
so overall: OK... just OK.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Absolute worst breakfast ever. Came out cold (even the pot of tea was luke warm), over cooked poached eggs, stuffed up one order, staff were very slow. Very disappointed!