“Clean and affordable - no issues here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Paruna Motel

Paruna Motel
Paruna Motel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Swan Hill
Orange
“Clean and affordable - no issues here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We found this place to be excellent, excellent, excellent value for money! The room was clean, spacious, modern air con/heating, comfy bed, good bathroom - all was great!

The location was superb and we certainly had no complaints. Our stay was above average.

I would recommend this to other travellers.

Stayed July 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was the worst/scariest stay we've ever had. We left after the first night, but paid (and were overcharged) for two. When I booked I enquired what the 'pet friendly' policy was. The owner replied "Policy is that when the door is closed, I don't know what happens behind closed doors" - weird. Still our old dog would be happy sleeping in our car at night and on her mat in the bathroom during the day.
When we arrived, a sign in Reception joked that their dog ruled the motel - indeed it did. Barking at you incessantly when you left your room, walked past reception or even walked past the property on the public footpath. This did not make us feel welcome or comfortable, nor did the reaction of the angry-faced owner when I explained to him that we were staying at his establishment as his dog ran at us barking when I took my old dog for a morning walk.
Later that morning, after advising reception we didn't need our room made up as were staying two nights, the owner called me when we were out at breakfast to complain our dog was in our bathroom (though there was no need for him to be in there as the room wasn't to be cleaned). "Yes", I said. "You are a pet friendly motel". He then said this was not the motel policy - but when I explained to him that he had not told me that was the policy - in fact he had told me something completely different, he said "Well, that's not my responsibility!"
As soon as I heard this, I remembered a review I had read before we stayed, claiming that the owner had thrown stones at a departing customer's car. I had ignored it at the time, thinking it improbable, but as I listened to the illogical voice on the phone, I knew this could now have been very true.
So being that the room was just a cupboard with a few beds (including a small, uncomfortable double) and the owner and his weird dog were not at all hospitable or rational, we decided to get out of Dodge in a hurry.
Thankfully another man was in reception when I went to check out, as by this stage, I was quite scared. Of course, we shouldn't be surprised that we were not charged the $95 a night we were quoted when we booked - rather $113. I burst into tears as I got in the car, but was happy to be out of there as soon as we could!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Hypatia M
steve s, Manager at Paruna Motel, responded to this review, 10 November 2014
I can only say that the Motel is now under different management and I would never hope to get a review like that one.

Travellers are raving about these Swan Hill hotels

Canberra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

One night was enough as I was travelling for work and needed something fairly cheap in Swan Hill. The motel has a self rating of three * but that is, in my opinion, rather too generous. Rooms are very dated, the carpet was stained, the hot water (Dux instantaneous) was not very hot, the soap was I think the worst smelling I have ever encountered. On the positive side, the towels were fluffy, apart from the carpet the room was pretty clean and rooms at the back were quiet. As I said in my heading, based on the price it was a place to sleep and was OK. I certainly would not rate it highly in terms of value for money though as I have stayed in much better places for less in lots of country towns in Australia.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Mildura, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

we took a deal for 2 nights including breakfast. it was good value for what we paid rooms are dated but clean. good position in walking distance od main shops. there a lot of classier motels in Swan Hill but the value here for a nice quiet comfortable room means we would use it again .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian M
victor harbor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Older style motel but well located in main street of Swan Hill, Room was rather small with facilities dated however it was quiet, very clean and very good value for budget conscious travellers particularly when compared with other nearby motelsWould stay again for short term visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peter g
Craigieburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Management very friendly and helpful. Great place to stay and only a short walk to the main shopping centres and resturants. Keithie the handy man a fantastic little bloke too!!the most comfortable queen bed that I have slept in in a motel for a long time. Lovely, friendly people and a great breakfast. Highly Recommend.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Getabout2
Wonthaggi, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

This was a lovely place to stay, walking distance to shops, restaurants and the Pioneer Settlement. It was a great room with plenty of space and the most comfortable queen bed that I have slept in in a motel for a long time. Lovely, friendly people and a great breakfast. Highly Recommend.

Room Tip: All ground level, we had no. 14 and it was great.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple