“Still a bit undecided...”
Review of Pepper Jack's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Pepper Jack's Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boolarra, Australia
“Still a bit undecided...”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have eaten here before about 12 months ago, and enjoyed the whole experience. This used to be my partners favourite restaurant. However, after dining there last night, I don't know how to feel.
The service was irregular, water was brought out on arrival, however waited over 15 minutes for drinks after ordering. It was not busy. White wine was served in a large red wine glass (minuscule but still noted)
Meal service was very quick.
Oysters where not shucked correctly, disconnected from the shell nor were they clean. The Kilpatrick sauce was minimal and dry and were not served with a shellfish fork. Overall this made them difficult to eat and were not enjoyable.
Ordered the rib-eye on the bone (rare) and was tasty, tender and everything you would love in a steak, however was a cooked inconsistently medium to medium rare. While it was still tender and enjoyable, at a steakhouse this shouldn't happen.The scotch fillet was not trimmed of fat, yet beautifully cooked to my liking (also rare). The sides were good. No complaints at all. The peppercorn gravy is still by far the best element of the dishes. The desert platter was tasty, but not served with plates to share, however was fixed promptly on request.

Music was not suitable for a restaurant environment - early Miley Cyrus tracks, while enjoyable in a car, not so enjoyable at a steakhouse. Overall, the food was okay - pub quality but at steakhouse prices, with bistro quality service.

• Visited October 2013

“Great service, poor presentation.”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Well, we just got home from the Pepper Jack's and we really aren't sure how we feel about the place.

The good:
The service was faultless, friendly and fast. Water on the table promptly, meals arrived quickly, drinks brought immediately upon ordering.
The meals weren't fancy, but they were very tasty. The chips were fantastic! The salmon was cooked to perfection, the carbonara was creamy and hot, the chicken burger was plain but beautifully cooked.
The Saturday night entertainment (Darcy Fox) was excellent, not too loud that you couldn't have a conversation, and it was pleasant on the ears.
The place was very clean.

The bad:
We had a table both near the door and next to the window which was unpleasant. There is no dressing on the window so people walking past can stare in. People walking in also walked right past us. There was no privacy and no cosy atmosphere. Something as simple as a screen by the door and a covering just next to the table on the window, even just halfway up would make a world of difference.
Likewise a little bit of green salad with the salmon and a better sized burger bread would have improved presentation of the meals.
The garlic bread was woeful.

The ugly:
I think that had we not been sitting in such an exposed location we would have enjoyed our meal much more and stayed longer. The prices were a little high but the service was worth it. Meal sizes seemed hit and miss, none of us came home hungry but we had a late lunch. A hungrier person may not have been full.

Overall a decent dinner.

• Visited June 2013
“Average Place a Steak”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is a restaurant situated at one of the main street in Traralgon.

The reasons I decided to have dinner at the place are one - listed on the information centre's list for meals plus listed on the motel that I stayed in and two - I love steak!

I'm glad there's a special on for the night - porterhouse steak 300g with garlic prawn sauce with char potatoes for the price of $26. The normal price for steaks at the place is average of $30 - $40 and sauce cost extras on top.

I requested for the steak to be cooked to medium. Unfortunately, some parts are well done and the others medium rare. The porterhouse seems to be tougher than other porterhouse that I've had at other places. Sauce and potatoes are good though.

I don't complaint as I normally order medium given the possibility of some chef cooking the steak towards well done or medium rare. I can comfortably eat both spectrum of the steak preparation. The only dissappointing thing with the steak for the night is that the cooking is not consistent throughout the steak.

Staff is friendly overall and speed of order to being served is quick for a steak - around 15 minutes.

Given the experience of the steak, I will rate this place as average for the price I paid for the night. Not worth the value of the steak if you're paying full price even if you want to try.

Personally, I won't go back to this place.

• Visited June 2013
“Seafood Platter for 2”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My wife & I were staying in Erica for a few days & were looking for a nice restaurant to visit. We happened upon the Pepper Jack website & the food sounded quite good and the place seemed quite fancy.

We were a little shocked when we arrived at the restaurant - the outside is quite plain & uninviting. The inside looked good - nice setup of tables. They should spruce up the window - the pink drawn on l
writing advertising a new special cheapens the place.

We arrived about 6.15pm, so were first ones there. The two ladies working front of house were friendly enough - the blonde waitress stood around a lot, just staring into space, didn't seem to know how to keep herself busy while it was quiet.

We ordered the platter for two - a selection of seafood, rump steak & chips, for $85. First the positives - generous amount of chips, oysters were amazing, as were mussels, Moreton Bay Bug was delicious (first time trying it), and prawns were great too. Lovely flavours on oysters and mussels. Not a fan of the flathead - wife liked it tho. Very filling. A couple of negatives - first, the rump steak. It was awful - really let the meal down. Full of fat. The bits without fat were cooked to my requirements (medium), but disappointed in quality of the meat provided when the seafood was so good. Secondly, its a platter for two so it was odd they gave us 3 oysters and not 4. How do you evenly divide 3? Being a gentleman the wife got the 3rd!!

Overall a good experience let down by some rough edges - improve the quality of the rump steak & the platter is a winner.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome food, delightful staff, great value!!!”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at Pepper Jack's over several weeks while working in Traralgon through January to March 2013. Being new to town Pepper Jack's came highly recommended by my motel and offered charge-back to my room which made things easy.

From my first visit the waitresses always made myself and my work colleagues feel welcome. With each return visit I felt more and more like a local as they greeted me with a smile. They were friendly, efficient and knew their menu well, always freely offering their suggestions on the extensive menu choices and the regularly updated specials.

Meals were always prepared promptly and even when the venue was busy the wait was imperceptible. Portion sizes were always healthy, cooked to my liking and appetisingly presented; I never left feeling hungry. No chance of running out of menu options either with a variety of meat cuts, sauces and sides to keep things interesting. They even have non-steak dishes for those who don't realise where they are dining (in a steak house). Just when you thought you couldn't eat anything more, a selection of irresistible and decadent desserts was on offer with new tempting treats available regularly.

I would recommend Pepper Jack's to anyone looking for a great value and fulfilling meal in a friendly atmosphere. You wont be disappointed! I look forward to my next work stint in Traralgon so I can dine there again...

• Visited February 2013