“An affordable and comfortable stay, with great service!”
Review of Holiday Lodge

Holiday Lodge
Ranked #17 of 54 Maafushi Island B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“An affordable and comfortable stay, with great service!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at Holiday Lodge Maafushi for three nights in August 2014. It was extremely affordable, but that did not mean the standards of service were lower. Firstly, we were upgraded to a bigger room because the standard room we booked was under maintenance. The room itself was clean, comfy, and relaxing. There was a TV with many cable channels on it, and the toilet was good. We were also given two bottles of water everyday. Buffet breakfast is included in your room rate, and we were provided with heaps of tuna, roshi, sausages and eggs. The food is a mix of Maldivian and international styles; while simple, it was hearty and delicious.

What most impressed us was the full day snorkeling excursion we booked with Holiday Lodge. We snorkeled at six points and stopped at Sexy Beach sandback and an uninhabited island for lunch. Everything was well-planned, and we were taken care of very well. I was most satisfied with Ali's service. I was not the best snorkeler and he took care of me and accommodated me, making me feel safe as I got more comfortable underwater. While he led me at first, he also didn't hover around me and let me snorkel freely when I was more confident, which I really appreciated. I enjoyed the experience very much. Ali also took many photos for us on his Gopro camera, and it helped us to capture a lot of great memories. I would highly recommend Ali to anybody looking for a great vacation in the Maldives!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YiningHe

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Two friends and I stayed in the Holiday Lodge in Maafushi in May 2014.
The staff were friendly and helpful. They picked us up from the ferry on the 15th, and dropped us back at the ferry on the morning of the 17th. We were greeted with a welcome drink on arrival, and given an introduction to the water activities available. Meticulous planning and attention to detail were visible: They even had set procedures such as a board on which to note down your preferred activities the night before, and the activities were planned keeping contingencies in mind. All details were shared with everyone, and the staff maintained a very approachable attitude at all times.
For our group, who decided to try snorkeling, they provided a guide, and free snorkeling gear and a whole morning in the house reef. The guide was patient with us, and friendly but not intrusive. We were also provided bicycles, to be used at our convenience (for our entire stay), and they, much like the snorkeling equipment, were well maintained. Given the dimensions and weather of the island, this was the best option we could have wanted.
The food was good, and they even offered me – the sole vegetarian in the group, and possibly in the lodge at the time – vegetarian options. They went out of the way to organize a dinner on the beach for us, which far exceeded our expectations when we made the request. The room was clean, and they were dedicated to keeping them clean.
Overall, a very pleasant stay, and we would gladly go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Madara_Ranmuthugala
Samut Prakan, Thailand
Reviewed 10 May 2014

All in all, I have to say that the experience at the Holiday Lodge was great. I stayed for a total of seven nights and it was very enjoyable, peaceful, and relaxing.

Room

To the room, very modern and most notably, VERY clean! My room came complete with a closet, minibar (although nothing is inside it), nice cold air conditioning, overhead fan, and a bathroom and two separate showers. One equipped with hot water, the other without. The room also made for a very comfortable sleep.

Next, the food is great and breakfast is served complimentary and comes complete with juice (or coffee), and then a buffet breakfast. They served toast, sausage, boiled eggs (sometimes a fried egg), tuna and even pita bread to wrap the tuna in, and usually bananas but sometimes oranges were offered.
Their menu was VERY extensive and the food for either lunch or dinner was absolutely the best!! This was a high point about the hotel. No matter what I ordered, their food was very very good.
For ordering food from the menu for lunch or dinner, it is not complimentary but can be ordered all throughout the day.
The buffet dinner is probably the best though but is tentative of people signing up for it.
For most things that are done at the hotel, one must sign up for it and at breakfast, the staff will show you a list of the food that will be served for that night and then you can determine if you want to sign up for it. They also apparently have a little thing where at least four people must sign up for the buffet in order for it to commence. Even if not enough people sign up, one can still fully order from the menu. The buffet did have some truly great choices though and no surprise that the fish was one of the most frequented of the main courses each night along with this really good local pudding that was usually served for dessert.
Most notably, on Tuesday night they have a local band named Boduberu play traditional beats and is put on by the hotel and you get to jump into the music and dance along. A very cool performance!

Island

For the surrounding area, well, the island is very small and on land, there is not much to do but then again, makes for a purposeful relaxing time on a little island.
Walk to the north end of the island and you’ll find the beach that all the visitors go to. There are also a small selection of restaurants and a souvenir shop (although some of the stuff was rather expensive).
Walk to the other side of island opposite the touristy beach, and you’ll find another beach that is almost always empty yet private and your own beach.

Activities

Lastly, to the activities, they are plentiful to choose from and have everything from diving, snorkeling, fishing, a sunset cruise, a trip to private sandbank, and much more.
The sandbank was really cool and felt totally like I was miles away from the rest of the world. Also, the ability to see all the different fish, sea anenomys, and most importantly, all the different kinds of corals featuring the very cool table corals and brain corals were astounding. Not to mention the waters of Maldives are just perfect and like a swimming pool.
On information about the pricing of the various excursions; they get more cheap the more people that join in on the trips.
Thus why I make a special note of saying that, for those solo travelers (which was the case for myself), trips WILL be doubled. I was actually a little shocked when I first discovered that but still managed well with planning my trips. Just beware that they can get pricey despite excursions being half a day or just an hour. (I’m not trying to scare anyone just want to give the heads up since I didn’t know or ask the hotel prior to taking my vacation:)

Con

The only thing I wished was changed was how you are billed at the very end of the trip. (I kept a pricing chart of what I was spending so I had some idea but one won’t even know their total until the night before you depart from the hotel (which I didn’t really like but of which my bill ended up being cheaper than I had thought which was nice). At the beginning of the trip on my first day I when asked if I could pay for food at that moment, they said that customers are billed at the end. Not the end of the world, but I’ve always been used to a ‘pay as you go’ status and then you have a better idea of what you’re spending.

For more information and if you would like to contact the hotel to arrange transportation to and from the island, the website is: http://www.holidaylodgemaldives.com/

Just go to the ‘Contact Us’ menu if you have any questions about transportation or anything regarding the stay and this will get you plugged into the staff at the hotel directly.

In conclusion, the Holiday Lodge Hotel was just great! Ali did a wonderful job, was exceptionally helpful throughout the duration of my stay, made sure that everyone was enjoying their time, and asked how everything was going on a day to day basis. If I decide to go back to Maafushi Island again, I would certainly go back to this hotel and absolutely recommend others to stay at this accommodation!

Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Lucknow City, Uttar Pradesh, India
Reviewed 6 May 2014

its a nice hotel located at one end of maafushi island, we stayed at deluxe room, but it didnt had television, except this our stay there was excellent.
On our request they gave us a FREE snorkelling tour at maafushi island and presented me with beautiful shells.
Maafushi is 1 km island so everything is near by we took the bicycles( available at hotel free of cost) and used to roam around the island. Very rememborable trip.

Room Tip: standard rooms are small but have tv deluxe rooms are big without tv
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This place is great! The staff is wonderful. Delicious included breakfast buffet. Dinner buffet is also very good for only $10, come hungry. The room is nice and clean with AC and fan and hot water. Maafushi is a great island, so quiet and peaceful compared to Male. You can book all sorts of activities right from the hotel. I would definately recommend this hotel and will return one day.

Only downside is the ferry to Maafushi only leaves Malè at ten am and 3 pm, less than $2 for 2.5 ride. Otherwise you have to take a speed boat which is $160-200. So if you have a late flight like me book first night in Malè and come On the ferry the next day. But definately come to Maafushi and stay at holiday lodge, staff is wonderful. Thanks guys!

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank shannonb81
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This small inn is staffed by very dedicated and friendly professionals; including, but not limited to Aali, Jain, Mohammed, etc. They keep the property very clean. Sign up for any of their excursions, you will not be disappointed at all. I ended up going on their snorkeling six hour trip; which included lunch at a really cool intermittent sand bank, for 80 USD-taxes included. Just as we were finishing lunch, the tide began to rise! I saw lots of sea flora and fauna that I had no clue was out there. Holiday Lodge organizes a cultural show, Maldivian culinary specialties included, every Tuesday night for 10 USD, which is highly recommended. A local troupe performs various Maldivian dances where guests end up being part of the show, as they dance to the beat of the drums! The staff told me they are planning new outings, so by the time you get there, hopefully they can surprise you with new exciting excursions. Oh, by the way, if you do not have an underwater camera, no problem, they do. Just bring a USB and they will share your ocean quest photos with you.

Room Tip: At the time of my sojourn there was almost non stop construction next door. Make sure you tell the s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Was at holiday lodge for two nights. Great experience.

Great hammock!
Great with free bikes!
Best of all: Realy friendly staff, who helped with everything, and made sure I had a good time.

Definitely recommend!
Thanks guys!
And thanks for the special school/orphanage tour. Very interesting!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo