“Nice view & food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Tides of Geraldton - CLOSED

Tides of Geraldton
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Open since 2006, well known restaurant. I was surprised it wasn't listed already; maybe because it is on a third floor and not highly visible from the street.
Carnarvon, Australia
“Nice view & food.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

I took my wife here for a meal wanting to take her somewhere a little nicer. After some deliberation and asking around I went for Tides, as it was supposed to be fine dining. I must point out that this was the first place I had eaten out at since arriving in Geraldton.

This restaurant has two plus points. Firstly that you can see the Indian Ocean, although that is over some rooftops and secondly, that the food was excellent or at least my wife thought so.

What let it down, given that this was supposed to be a fine dining restaurant, is that the décor is looking a little tired, for me the atmosphere wasn't very good due the volume of noise and the service was also lacking for a fine dining restaurant. The waiters/ waitresses were not very attentive.

It terms of the food, it was excellent but there really isn't a great deal to chose from. I actually struggled to find something that I would like and pretty much had one meal to chose from, although it was nice. Where as my wife immediately decided on hers and thought the food was excellent.

Although the food was nice, I would point out that as a fine dining restaurant, the portions are very small and this is not the place to come if you are looking for an actual meal. Also, it is very pricey and your bill is likely to come to well over $100+.

I was a little disappointed with the overall experience for such an establishment and it didn't quite live up to what I was expecting. Despite the food, I don't think I will be returning any soon.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Markao

“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

It was amazing. I had poached snapper in a coconut and fish sauce with ginger, coriander and lime leaf on rice. Stunning view of the sunset. Top notch service. I was on my own and couldn't have felt more welcome. Now enjoying unusually good espresso. In between couldn't resist lamington ice cream - house speciality. Will be back. Probably tomorrow.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank AlDalziel
Perth, Australia
“Not up to the hype unfortunately.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

There's usually a reason why people talk about a restaurant's view... a colleague and I went to dinner on the back of some favourable feedback.
The room is tired looking, too much open space, too bright and weird colours, fittings etc. A bit drab really. We were seated inside, ther is a wide verandah with tables and a bar off to one side. The space has potential, just not being utilised properly.
The wine list is ok and there are wines by the glass available.
I had a "reef and beef" although that's not how it was described on the menu. A terrible, gristly piece of steak. I left about a third of it as it was inedible. My colleague had pink-snapper and thought it was good. We shared a plate of greens as a side dish.
The meal came to $130.00!!
Two mains, a side dish and four glasses of wine total.
Fine dining it ain't, so why are we paying the fine dining prices??

• Visited November 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

5 of us plus a baby on a Tuesday night. The staff organised an outstanding spot on the balcony with a small area adjoining for any baby needs. Service was very good indeed. Tapas entrees plus oysters was just perfect to start. Our main meals were brilliant although two pork dishes were a little over done but still very tasty. A little disappointed to not see West Australian wines headlining the wine list. Pricing overall is okay. If price is your chief barometer then don't choose Tides. Having said that there prices and quality stand up well in my view. Yes we will return and the ocean and bay view is quite superb. So well done and thank you to everyone at Tides.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank yeovil32
Perth, Australia
“Surprised to the Upside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Having grown up in Geraldton, I have known of this restaurant location for many many years but rarely visited. Having heard it had improved recently we wandered down for a Tuesday dinner. The service started slowly but improved throughout the night. The wine list was fair. The view was excellent.

We started with tapas, a wonderful and filling mixture of tastings. It was quality but with a recognition that we were in country WA. Both mains were great, with my de-assembled lasanga an absolute standout.

With a little more energy on the service and speed of staff, Tides can be the / a premier restaurant in Geraldton (IMO)

Visited October 2013