“a nice hotel”

Geraldton Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Geraldton
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a good choice for a short stay in Geraldton the location is easily accessable on the way into town and has plenty of good parking outside your room

The upstairs room was clean and very large, and got minimal traffic noise and also has ocean glimpses from the small balcony

The bathroom was also of a very good standard

Good resturant and bar onsite no need to go anywere else

Room Tip: if possible get a room in the new northern wing
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen W

Reviewed 10 November 2013

There are plenty of alternate accommodation choices in Geraldton, don't stay here. The room was smelly and the carpet stained. The carpet was so dirty, my feet became black from walking to the shower to my bed. Cockroaches seen running around the room. I don't recommend this hotel and will not come back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
10  Thank Colin B
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed at one of the spacious ground floor rooms and everything was of reasonable standard. The room was clean and very large, and got minimal traffic noise (although you could hear everything that was going on in the parking lot). It's a bit far from "geraldton proper" but a good option if you want to just have a quick overnight and get back on the road/plane.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank desktopdreamer
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Only stayed a night, checked in late which was fine. Had bar fridge with reasonably priced drinks and snacks. Clean room will stay here again. Bed was comfortable. No noises and good hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Krystal S
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I almost cancelled the booking here because of some of the negative comments, dithering over the frankly mediocre choice of hotels in this town. Actually, the Comfort Inn reality is much more amenable though it would be an exaggeration to say it was a sensation.
1. Our Tom Tom seemed to have no idea where this address is and tried to send us on a 5-hour drive south. Not the hotel's fault, but you might find it hard to locate if you rely on a GPS. Even when we located it in Places of Local Interest it still seemed to think the motel was further south than it is, and '107 Brand Highway' meant nothing to Tom Tom at all.
2. Access off the main road is tricky and extremely tight. As we pulled in one evening a woman in a pickup was charging out, leaving us perched halfway back on to the main road for a terrifying couple of minutes. Parking is allocated by room number.
3. We had an upstairs room - these cross the whole building with access from the back. This led into a corridor past the bathroom and on to the main bedroom which had a small balcony overlooking the front parking and the street. Yes, it's true that road trains pass by not infrequently and while you can hear them, the idea that these cause hideous noise levels is absurd. We live in a rural village in Lincolnshire and are used to graveyard levels of silence; we both slept perfectly well and hardly noticed.
4. The room (205) had a fridge, microwave, kettle, tea and coffee, as well as free broadband for which you need a (highs-speed data ethernet cable (in the room desk drawer). They call it 'dial-up' which makes it sound like an old slow modem and phone line, but it isn't. It's perfectly good broadband. No Wi-Fi. Not all rooms have the free internet.
5. Bed was comfortable and air-conditioning worked fine. Hot water flowed freely though three rooms next to ours seemed to have no hot water on our second night. Room was clean enough.
6. There is a mini-bar in the fridge and on the shelf above with Australia's idea of comedy prices. I can't imagine why anyone other than a lazy lunatic would pay $3.50 for a packet of crisps or $4 for a bottle of water, but then a cooked breakfast here is $20 which I assume is all part of the extended bad joke, based on the idea that only millionaires stay here. Since every Australian I have met here talks about the appalling cost of living for them, you can only wonder who ever buys these. Still, we bought two potatoes in a local supermarket for the equivalent of one UK pound, a sum of money that would have bought me 4-5 times as many potatoes in the UK.
7. The free continental breakfast consists of a range of cereals, fresh fruit, toast, yoghurts and tea and coffee. That was fine and there was no imposed limit.
The bottom line is that a motel like this in Nowheresville AZ would be $60-80 in the US; without the breakfast you could get similar facilities for 40-60 quid at a Travelodge in the UK. So it's at least double that in Australia but that's normal here. So absurdly overpriced by world standards but not by Australian.The Best Western up the road has no microwaves, for example, so at least you have the chance to cook your own meals here. In that sense this Comfort Inn compares well enough even if the Australian tourist industry has little chance at present of attracting foreigners. No wonder we hardly saw any non-Australians.
Geraldton has Domino's Pizza, KFC and McDonalds though we didn't try any of them.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade to the upstairs room with fuller facilities and allegedly quieter though we honestly...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WelbyTraveller
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I had visited this motel quite few years ago for business and my corporate agent decided we should give it a go this trip. I generally stay with Comfort Inn as they are usually excellent value and offer a very comfortable stay ( i have been travelling for 1/3 of 2013 already so have seen many motels thus far) WELL.

The desk staff are less than helpful, I complained 3 times I had no hot water only to be told by the maintenance staff that I should shower earlier or later as others might have been using the hot water! Not what you would expect from a multi room establishment.

The restaurant fair on arrival was ok if you can handle the noisy "hello, good thanks" chatter that constantly streams from the kitchen. The pricing is also very high for what you get, even for WA. My dining choice then changed when I spotted the chef behind the garbage bins relieving himself only to walk straight back into the kitchen. Not what I deem as very professional.

There are many other basic motels in Geraldton, I would recommend giving them a go first and utilize this motel as a last resort. Quite the dissapointment. I will be speaking with my booking agent regarding this one for sure.

Room Tip: Make sure it has hot water and no ants. Highway facing rooms upstairs are double glazed so the noise...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sean A
Reviewed 7 March 2013

As I book through a corporate travel company and as my usual hotel had bumped its prices up a little I had no choice but to book a few nights at the Comfort Inn.

Pro’s. I was given one of the older, ground floor rooms and I must admit it was one of the largest rooms I’ve seen in this particular price range. Everything was there, bed, luggage stand, tea & coffee making facilities, flat screen TV on a swivel mount so you could move it depending on where you were sitting and even 2 comfortable chairs and a coffee table.

Bathroom was equally voluminous with clean towels and a good sized shower. However, it was here that I noticed plenty of small animal droppings. Not sure if they came from small lizards / skinks or cockroaches but it was disconcerting none the less.

I noticed that other reviewers had complained about the road noise since the hotel is about 10 – 15 metres from the Brand Highway but apart from one particularly loud truck it didn’t bother me at all. Neither is the attached liquor store a problem despite the fact that my room was only 15 metres away (it actually came in handy when I ran out of wine).

On the negative side the room was one of blandest I have seen. Pale green paint abounded with not a picture in site. It was like being in pea soup. It almost felt like a doctors waiting room. My suggestion would be to pop down to the local discount store, pick up some generic French prints and throw them up. Anything, even an AC/DC poster would make a welcome distraction from acres of green.

I didn’t have the chance to avail myself to their on-site restaurant but some of my colleagues that reside locally tell me they visit from time to time and the food is fine.

In the end, animal number two’s and the wall paint aside this is a hotel where you get what you pay for. The service is friendly, the rooms large, the bed comfortable. If you are after anything else you may need to open the wallet and go looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper I would ask for the rooms at the rear of the premises as these are shelte...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business