“Early evening experience”

Dining options: Reservations
Orsett, United Kingdom
“Early evening experience”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked over phone. Very spacious, divided into several rooms, but only two staff.
Waitress unaware of the term "sparkling water"! Settled for soda water instead.
We weren't made aware of the "specials"and as we were new to the place, didn't think to ask. Only became aware when overhearing a neighbouring table being offered them!
We asked for wine but it took a repeat request to get it to the table. Food was served efficiently. Starters (squid and whiting) were both very pleasant. The accompanying fresh coleslaw was delightful.
The mains were average. Mine(paella) was only warm but tasty. The seafood crepe was overloaded with cheese sauce which detracted from the taste of the seafood of which there was a good selection.
No fresh fruit etc for dessert, only rather heavy alternatives.
Overall a little disappointing. Quite expensive. Value average

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank ccw2912

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant; shame about the food”
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

The Boatshed is a lovely place, with a good atmosphere. There is plenty of room between the tables and the rooms are nicely decorated.
The food is not up to the prices, though. Our starters - calamari, crocodile- were delicious but the mains of rock lobster were a disappointment, particularly as they were expensive. I chose the grilled option which came with stir fried vegetables which were slimey and not fresh-tasting. I also asked for chips instead of rice and they were soggy and damp. I suspect from an oven or microwave rather than a frier.
It was a lovely evening out, but a pricey one.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Alison B
Ray T, Owner at The boatshed, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Alison B,
Thanks for your feed back , we are very happy that you liked our restaurant as my wife and i did all the renovating and decorating with a lot of thought going into table positioning to create more space.
As you would know some restaurants will cram in tables for the mighty dollar.
That brings me to my next comment the price of our local crayfish!
As you would have seen on the menu it's market price the price set by the fisherman's co op or other buyers, this can fluctuate by the day week or month anywhere from $12 per kg to $80 or more unfortunately due to the chinese new year coming up prices are high!! But you would have been informed by my staff of the price BEFORE ordering.
And very upset to see these type of comments made (the word slimy! vegetables as we do fresh fruit & vegetable orders daily!
Being Asian style stir fried vegetables they are cooked in peanut or sesame oil, perhaps there was a little to much.
About the comment of soggy chips normally the dish is served with rice as this would aid in soaking up the juices.
The chips are cooked in a deep fryer! With your request to have chips instead of rice perhaps we should have served them in a separate bowl…
Have been owner operator (Chef) of the Boatshed Restaurant for 15 years now, and just finding it a little hard to read comments like this as I take a lot of pride in what I do (but not always perfect) would like the opportunity to explain or rectify the problem.
Before the night is over…..
Hence this paragraph on the inside page of our menu!

If you have any cause for complaint or displeasure!
Please speak to the manager who will endeavour to ensure complete satisfaction!
Geraldton, Australia
“Too expensive”
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

39 dollars for Chilli Mussels....really? And tasted below average. $5 for one piece of bread....I came here with work colleagues that were visiting Geraldton. I was embarrassed that I took them here

4 Thank Jesspeel8
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Didn't really live up to its reputation”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

This place was recommended, and was busy for a Thursday night. The service was friendly and helpful. The menu was a bit limited, but a feed of local lobster was much anticipated. We started with oysters which were very nice, but my char grilled Asian style lobster was a little tough which was disappointing given the $70 price tag. Maybe the normal chef was having the night off?

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Rob W
Perth
“Staff let them down”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The food was very good here but I'm afraid the service was pretty average and the prices are high. We were greeted at the front area quite nonchalantly. They collected glasses from the tables using those white wire framed trays as if we were in a pub! The crayfish were $70 regardless of presentation and they're not in season until November in WA anyway! The rooms are lovely - lots of space between tables, wooden floor boards, nice atmosphere. We asked for the bill at the end of the night and it never arrived so we wandered to the front to pay. I'd try somewhere else next time as it didn't feel like a fine dining experience.

• Visited October 2013