“Best place to eat in Margaret River - Will be missed!”
Review of Winos - CLOSED

Winos
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I love Winos. It's my 'go to' restaurant when I want the hubby to take me out for my birthday and we also go there every year for our anniversary. Dined again on Saturday and, again, wow. BEST GNOCCHI ever! Also enjoyed various other items on the blackboard menu including the rocket salad and some seriously awesome mushrooms with goats curd. May have cleared the bowl with some bread it was that good. Plus some delicious Zinfandel! Winos is going to be sorely missed. Thank you Mike and all the crew for the good memories, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

Lovely to walk in to a fire on a winter night.

We were "walk ins" but were given a table near the fire. Service was prompt and friendly.

Loved loved loved the crab pâté. The chorizo was a different style from which we're used to - soft, juicy and salty. The gnocchi was disappointing - a little soggy and the manjimup truffle was visible but aroma less and tasteless. Braesola was deliciously moreish.

All in all, interesting dining with some hits and some misses.

Wine list oddly doesn't list the wine label, just the varietal.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Really popular, fun restaurant. Always busy. Good food and good service. We have been there a few times and will be back.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Thanks Michelle

I'm glad you enjoy what we do. All of my staff really do their level best to provide a unique and enjoyable experience here at Wino's. I am really proud of what we have achieved over 13 years.

I am also glad I get to go out on a positive note. Wino's will go on, and the staff will do their best to continue what we are renowned for going forward.

As a parting note, I hope all of you bloggers out there consider applying the same level of public scrutiny to yourselves and your own work/business/job, as you feel free to measure out to hospitality industry.

It's been a trip. Adios

Wino's

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We chose this restaurant to celebrate my 50th Birthday, what a let down!! We had crab pate, pickled herring, esperance scallops (2 each to be exact!!), Manjimup gnocchi.. Terrible, bland and a complete waste of money. The menu is difficult, plastered over 4 or 5 boards, the selection is poor and we found we just chose because we had no other choice. I did enquire if I could have the steak cooked the way I LIKED it, only to be told the chef refuses to cook it any other way than medium rare!! Surely if I'm paying for it, it's my choice how I like it cooked?? We did think of leaving but realised the chance of getting into another restaurant was remote at that time, so decided to give Wino's a go!! The service was lack-lustre, the food, poor, bland and scarce, we paid $123 for a few crackers and pate, 2 scallops each, 1 herring and a couple of gluggy gnocchi.. Never again!! Wine was great though!! New to Margaret River area and certainly will never visit Wino's again!! Very disappointing.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Uncle!!

I throw in the towel. I am beaten. It has taken 13 years of being a human dart board to do it, but you have won. I have tried my personal best to always deliver a unique Margaret River experience that is grounded in integrity in all the we do. From the sourcing of the freshest local ingredients, to our depth of wine list that spans 30 years of wine in Margaret River, we have only sought to provide something that we feel makes life worth living.

But the personal cost of doing so is too high. The investment of not just money, but your soul, too consuming. So it is with grace that I thank all who have supported us over our 13 year history. For those who seek to publicly defame and tear down, I honestly hope they never have to contend with the same level of public scrutiny on their jobs and lives as they feel free to measure out to others.

It has been a real trip. I move on knowing in my heart that Wino's meant something, and that in the end, it was the thrill of seeing countless customers simply enjoy them selves, make friends, propose to their partners, celebrate weddings birthdays and anniversaries, or generally just feel better about the world, that made it all worth while.

Cheers

Ex-owner

Reviewed 6 May 2013

We went there after hearing recommendations from a few different people about this restaurant - for the prices we were disappointed. I know that restaurants in general in Oz are expensive but for the money we paid here the food was below our expectations. Since food is such a personal thing I am not trying to say that the food was bad or of low quality - I just found it too complicated and unnecessarily so. They could be a lot better if they perhaps simplfy their menu. We ordered a crab meat pate which felt like a thick mayonaise paste. The spatchcock was good but again - I think its a pretty simple chicken dish made to be fancy unecessarily. Lastly we ordered lamb - didnt like the way it was done. But to be fair to the chef - we are not used to lamb being served as a beef steak would be - slightly pinkish. Overall it's a good restaurant but perhaps the tone of food there didnt match our pallette. Having said that I will say that the service is great - wait staff/manager all are excellent.

MRWino, Owner at Winos, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Hey there

I would have to say this is one of the better average reviews we have received. Thanks for being so thoughtful in your comments and taking the time to explain your thoughts to us. We will certainly take on your comments and seek to make sure we hit the level of product and service that has allowed us to be a part of the Margaret River landscape for so long.

I trust others who want to offer some criticism are as constructive as you.

Regards