“Excellent hotel with fantastic customer service”

Grand Mercure Basildene Manor
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
“Excellent hotel with fantastic customer service”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night with my closest girlfriend last week and had an amazing time. This hotel is everything other reviewers have said it is. Beautiful grounds, lovely rooms, excellent breakfast. But what really makes this hotel stand out is the staff. All of them were so Warm & friendly, particularly Max. We found him, happy, helpful, and knowledgeable about the history of the property. Particularly liked the informal tour on arrival. Thank you Max - You are a gem. We had a wonderful stay!! Highly recommend.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
AccorVacationClub, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Beth S,
We are so pleased you both enjoyed your stay at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor. I'm sure Max was only too happy to assist you with the informal tour on arrival. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed 5 nights at Basildene Manor. From the moment that we drove in to the moment that we drove out, we were wowed by this property.
The room, with a private courtyard to enjoy a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, the beautiful manicured gardens, the sitting rooms where to read a book, the friendly and welcoming staff all made our stay at the manor the best experience of our Western Australia holiday.
The breakfast either continental or cooked was more than enough to carry you through the morning.
The small token given to us as we checked out of this stunning place, was the icing on the cake to enticing us to return. I do hope we will one day. Thank you Basildene Manor.
Grace & Alan

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
AccorVacationClub, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Grace295,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review for Grand Mercure Basildene Manor. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay, the private courtyard & the friendly and welcoming staff. We do hope you get to return one day!
Knutsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Basildene review 2

This is a really beautiful property with English style gardens sweeping down to a lovely lake and tennis courts. The staff, especially Dani are excellent as are her colleagues and the hard working breakfast and cleaning staff. They really do their very best to make you welcome and to be as friendly as possible. That said, as a hotel it struggles to work and as a B&B it's a bit too expensive.

Let me explain but please be aware that I am writing this from a British and Irish perspective. Those visitors from Australia may understandably have a different viewpoint.

Most people from our part of the world associate the Mercure brand as that of mainly 4* hotels. We just assumed that the Grande Mercure would have been an even better hotel, but it's not. It's just a posh B&B. Despite the beautiful setting at Basildene, there are simply very few facilities available that you'd expect from a hotel.

There's no restaurant and obviously no room service or bar. I think that the management should make booking.com aware of this as their info on the accommodation says the complete opposite.

The isolation that makes spending the day in the hotel grounds so relaxing is also a real downside when it comes to eating at lunchtime or in the evening unless you don't mind driving into town. I'm sure there are many people for which this is not a problem. I'm just not one of them.

One solution is to buy some lunch in town and eat it at the tables on the lower terrace. That's nice.

You should realise that this is a small country town and during the week, they will only have one taxi working. You should also note that the taxis take a maximum of 3 people and so be prepared for double costs. That could mean a $43 return to the centre of town which adds quite a bit to the cost of your meal. They are reputed to have a minibus but although we booked this twice, when it came to it the minibus wasn't available. The taxi company themselves are more miss than hit. They didn't show up on our first night and I drove into town. They didn't show up on our second night, but by then Dani had given me her number and she sorted it. The one driver in town was actually going to go home at 10pm but kindly hung on for us to finish our meal. Eating at 830pm is considered very late in these parts. Be warned. I didn't bother with taxis on the third night - we ate early and I drove.

Talking about times, this really is sleepy hollow. We were playing cards in one of the public rooms at 1045 pm with a very small iPhone speaker on quite low. Certainly much lower than a TV would be if it were on in one of the bedrooms. Dani popped down and asked us to turn it down (which we were very happy to do) because "it's quite late now and people want to get to sleep". 1045 is "quite late" in these parts. Beware!

Having spent the previous week in Third World Bali where a very strong WIFI signal was available everywhere including the lifts, the pool, the beach and the car that picked us up at the airport, I have been a little frustrated in First World Australia. It just seems like it's not seen as a priority at all here.

At Basildene, WIFI is available for free but only in the public rooms. I realise that they cater for an older crowd but even they are silver surfers these days. The room prices are very steep and the cost of putting WIFI in all areas relatively inexpensive. I think they're missing a trick here. The WIFI itself is unreliable such that the AppleMac in the hall doesn't get a signal sometimes. The best place to get a signal is at the back of the lounge next to the office (or in your room if you are staying in the Traminer room) however although the WIFI signal is strong, the internet access speed is ponderous at best and this deteriorates quickly if there are other guests using it. There's a bit of switching it on and off that goes on to try and fire it into action. I can't believe the office connection is this slow or they would never get through their day. I just think it's a bit of short sighted tightness by Mercure. Oh, and the 3G signal is a one bar so that's not an alternative I'm afraid.

Another issue is the size of the standard rooms given the prices charged. They really are quite small and simply don't have enough shelf or drawer space although there's lots of hanging room. A small redesign to the wardrobe could fix this issue easily and I think the management ought to consider this. Likewise, the bathrooms are tiny and have very little space to put anything other than toothpaste etc. a few shelves on the wall would be good when they are installing the shelves in the wardrobe. On the other hand, the rooms are very nicely furnished and you get a small fridge along with plates, cutlery, glasses, cups and a kettle.

The breakfast buffet is a breakfast buffet. It's no better or worse than most of the other 2,000 breakfast buffets that I've had over the past 30 years. I realise that this particular buffet gets praised a lot by TA reviewers but I can only think that they've never had one before. If you look at those reviews, 70% of them have made 5 or fewer reviews of anything at all (hotels, restaurants, attractions etc) and so I think it's fair to conclude that a lot of them haven't had a great deal of experience of the wonders of a hotel breakfast. Don't worry, you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect anything too spectacular.

Check out is a very relaxed 12 noon. That's better than most places I've stayed at and really does make a difference for a nice relaxed departure.

So it may seem that I have been quite critical here but these really are constructive suggestions. Let me make it clear that if you are coming for a weekend and don't have many clothes to put away, if you don't mind driving to a restaurant, if you like going to bed at 10pm and you don't rely on a good WIFI then you'll think that you've died and gone to heaven at Basildene. It's just that if these things are important to you, then you may leave feeling a tad dissatisfied.

Would I return? If I wasn't partial to a few drinks with my meals then I certainly would but the lack of anywhere to eat within easy walking distance is too much of a downside for me I'm afraid.

Room Tip: The Traminer room picks up a good wifi signal
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cookiemonster171
Glenbrook, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

From the first moment we entered the old part of the building and were greeted with an upgrade to a garden view King Room (I did book a King Room and mentioned it was my 60th) till the time we booked out two days later and were given some scones for our trip, this was a great place to stay. Lovely view of the garden and breakfast was fantastic. Thank you for the wonderful staff that made our stay great. Only regret was it was only two night next time at least three.

Room Tip: Worth the King Room with garden view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
AccorVacationClub, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor, responded to this review, 16 March 2014
Dear LenSydneyAustralia,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay & belated birthday wishes for your 60th! We look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time.
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We had the great opportunity to get married in this beautiful hotel and it was just amazing! It was exactly what we were looking for…
The hotel, the gardens, the atmosphere, everything is even better than the photos we have seen before getting there.
We would like to say a BIG Thank You to all the team and especially to chef Judith for her beautiful and delicious breakfast but also for her great assistance during the wedding. The rest of the team was also extremely helpful; even two young ladies helped us to restart our car which did not want to leave this beautiful property.
We would recommend this wonderful hotel to anyone who plan to go to WA or to any couple looking to get married.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
AccorVacationClub, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Legugusse2Montauban,
Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We certainly wish you all the very best for the future. Thank you so much for your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your BIG day & your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My partner and I stayed for two nights and I wish we could have stayed longer. The grounds were amazing, I've never seen such beautiful gardens at a hotel. I've stayed in quite a few places in margaret river and this has to be the most spectacular. Very romantic, very relaxing, would definetly recommend it to anyone looking for that romantic get away!

• Stayed February 2014
AccorVacationClub, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
Dear Nikki304,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review after your stay at Grand Mercure Basildene Manor. We are pleased that you & your partner enjoyed the grounds and felt it was romantic. Hopefully, we'll see you back for a longer stay in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stayed 2 nights at Basildene Manor . First room smelt of sewerage in bathroom. Drains were attended to with chemical, but we were not moved until the following night.
Breakfast was beautiful however the attitude of staff on both mornings could be described as "aloof" On the second morning after sitting for 35 minutes, the girl came to advise that she had forgotten our order! At this stage there was only one other couple in the dining room , and she had forgotten their order as well! Not good enough for a 5 * rating........get some friendly AND professional staff.
What a shame Daniella wasn't on duty when we complained. We may have left feeling that our concerns hadn't fallen on deaf ears.

Room Tip: The advertisements are misleading. Be careful......the standard rooms, especially the one we had nex...
2 Thank Sue R