“Tidy and convenient, pool lets it down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grange on Farrelly

Grange on Farrelly
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
“Tidy and convenient, pool lets it down.”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights last week. Parking right outside the room which is handy. We didn't eat here. We went to use the pool (which was half the reason we choose this place overall) but the state of was shocking. Management need to work on this. No beds out and the water was dirty. Shame as it left us disappointed.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Kombikru
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Thanks Kombikru. We have had a couple of adverse comments about the pool in the last few days and I have now stepped-in personally to take charge of it. There are currently no issues.
Let me assure you that the water is never 'dirty', it may have leaves in it at any given time due to overhaging trees, although these are cleaned out daily, but the chemical quality is checked daily by ourselves, weekly by a professional pool maintenance man, and regularly by the Shire Health Dept.
Pool to one side, we are a well located affordable property just a few minutes walk to the Town Centre as so many reviewers have pointed out.
Thank you for your contribuition and we hope to see you again in the future.
Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Friendly staff who are very accommodating to guest needs. Great location. 2mins walk from main road and great restaurants. Nightly rate was rather high (as with all other Margaret River accom) especially as breakfast is not included. Decor is outdated.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TenzoM
Thanks Tendai M. Yes, we are Old Fashioned in our way, but we do try to stay contemporary with the services we offer our guests, there is a demographic that appreciates our style and that is what encourages us to keep going. However, for the record, I'll just comment that 'we', the other half (I hope she doesn't read this one) and I, have recently employed a switched on younger lady to oversee a bit of a modernisation programme and to take up the reins as we older ones take a step back from the day to day fray. We are confident that the end result will be an improvement for our guests.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again one day.
Richard
Albany
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Just spent 4 nights, was impressed with the size of the room. Overall it appeared clean but lying on the bed looking towards the "kitchen area" found cobwebs on the ceiling, heavy dust behind the bedside tables. the LED TV was mounted too high to view and was loosing picture quality so lowered it down to the desk unit where it improved picture quality immensely. TV was covered in thick dust. Bed was just ok & no latch on main window. (security issue) The door lock to the court yard was difficult to turn and needs replacing (common fault with old tie-bolt lock sets). Also there appeared to be a dried lump of faeces next to the roll holder in the toilet.
I took photos of issues but don't think it's right to add them here.

The setting was really nice & quiet, pool was lovely clean.

I realise that after reading most of the reviews & replies that an excuse will be made for these issues, but the reality is if reviewers are saying it's tired then you should perhaps believe them.

This is what this forum is all about, honest info for potential customers. I also am aware that every room is different.

Would I stay again? by myself on a business trip yes, with my wife no.

Hi end of the season but $210 was prob $50 to much.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Hello xpatTM, thanks for your comments.
First, let me say that I always respond to reviews, good or otherwise, because I think that if someone takes the trouble to write in then they deserve a response, let me assure you that all comments are taken to heart, good or otherwise, and I don't offer excuses.
In this case, we apologise, of course, for the lapse in houeskeeping that you pointed to, but may I suggest that a better way to deal with this would be to talk to management at the time so that we have the opportunity to correct the deficiency, and can take up the issue with the relevant staff straight away. All that is required is a low key comment and we can act on it, no stress.
The positioning of the TVs in some of the rooms is something that we inherited, but I agree that it isn't ideal, when we are next doing a major overhaul we will rectify it, but it isn't something that can be done in isolation, we are aware of it and have it on the list of things to do, is what I am trying to say.
Overall, we thought your review was quite generous, and we look forward to seeing you again one day, even if only on business.
Oh yes, one more thing, tired/dated whatever you want to call it, some things we can do, some things we can't. We are right now in the process of changing a few things, we hope for the better, and so our clients will be noticing a bit of an uplift in the next few months. Stay tuned.
Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Im a little disappointed for my value for money here.$230 a night with no breakfast gets you a little room with a TV and a very loud AC unit. The Spa Bath is dirty looking and once is filled with water you cant get the plug out . The bed is not a queen and they gave us 2 pillows from the 1970s like the rest of the decor.
On the website there is a picture of what looks like a pool(misleading photography-Should of read the facilities I know) but is actually a pond and at the moment has no water init just millions of mosquitos breading. Its all very old fashioned. You don't even get 2 spoons for the teas and coffees. The towels we had been given looked like they where left overs from the op shop down the road. It is quiet and in a good location but its not good value at these prices. Better off in a backpackers !!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 23 a queen spa.its quiet unless people sit on there verandas then you here everywo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quins15
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, 29 December 2012
Hello Quinns, A little hyperbole there, but that's OK. I wondered for a moment whether you'd mixed up your motels, but yes it's true the plug in the spa bath did get stuck, well and truly stuck and I had to get pliers to remove it, thanks for reminding me I'll have to go to the hardware and buy a different type.
Your pool comments are a complete mystery since the pool is full of, I can't remember how many, thousands of litres of sparkling water and people have been using it every day since the hot weather arrived, certainly no mosquitoes, or other complaints, happening there.
Otherwise, the Queen beds ARE Queen beds. Sorry if someone 'souvenired' one of your teaspoons and it wasn't noticed and replaced - you wouldn't believe how many of those we buy each year, I should get our name printed on them! (for advertising). The towels, we are pretty much using all new stock now so I think it unlikely that you would have got very old ones - unless you are talking about the pool towels we supply on request, then, yes, we do use up old ones we keep on one side that are still serviceable but not suitable to put in the rooms.
Finally, on the question of price this is a perennial issue that comes up every Christmas/New Year. Pricing is wholly dependent on competition and supply and demand, I need say no more because everybody knows - except to add that our pricing is always in line with other venues operating in the same market, relative to star ratings and location, of course.
Thank you for your comments, and we'll continue on our drive to make improvements each year.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 December 2012

This hotel is truely different and reminds us of the Little America chain in the US. On the plus side the staff are friendly, the rooms are spacious, the location is very close to town and roomy. As has been said, the rooms are different and not to everyones taste - and they weren't to ours. Very clean though. I will be honest and say however that I prefer modern hotels that are light and airy and these units are definately not that. Having said that, we enjoyed our stay but would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello chchgecko. Thanks for your review, which is difficult to respond to, except to say that we always acknowledge that the Grange is not going to be all things to all people. You are one of those people who didn't like the particular ambience of the Grange, it is a bit different as you've rightly pointed out, and we can live with that - apart from that subjective opinion we thought the rest of your review was of a positive nature; thanks for trying our establishment and maybe we will see you again one day.
Happy New Year to you and yours.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Grange with three other couples for a long weekend, whist attending a wedding. Not knowing what to expect, we were all pleasantly surprised. Check in was smooth and friendly. Each room has its own parking bay, but a car is not needed for the short stroll into the main area of town. Just cross the road as you leave the Grange entrance, walk through the hospital grounds and on through Coles car park, and voila! you are in the middle of all the shops and restaurants. The motel restaurant has a new Swiss chef, and the menu looked very appealing. Shame we didn't have time to try it out. The rooms are huge by motel standards, containing one double bed and one single bed as well as a big wardrobe. Three of the four rooms had four poster beds.There is a settee, coffee table, and window seat at one end of the room, adjacent to a back door leading onto a verandah which had a small outdoor table and two chairs.. There was a large flat screen TV on the wall, and a desk and chair underneath it. The rooms have a fair size fridge with small cartons of milk for using with the coffee and t bags provided. This left plenty of room in the fridge for our drinks and snacks. The bathroom which was quite dark, had a shower, toilet and washbasin. A huge plus was the powerful hairdryer provided.The towels, whilst not big white and fluffy, were absorbent and therefore adequate. I have a thing about top hotels which provide thick luxurious towels which don't actually dry you and hair dryers which sound like mozzies.
The main thing is that although the decor may not be to everyone's taste, being a bit chintzy with lots of dark wood, it was spotlessly clean.
The pool though small is a bonus, and the barbecue/outdoor seating area is very attractive.
All in all, the consensus of opinion was that it is a winning place to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rooms 1 to 4 inclusive. They are the most convenient for reception"
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
grangeonfarrelly, Owner at Grange on Farrelly, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear mctKalmundaWA, I hope I got that right,. it's a bit of a mouthful - just joking.
Thank you very much for your detailed and positive review, which we appreciate all the more knowing that it is the distillation of the thoughts of eight guests staying simultaneously.
The chintz, yes, oh well, it sort of goes with the property style so we don't change it. In a way the old Grange is unique, so it is what it is, we will continue on with our theme of affordable, clean, comfortable and location, location, location!
All the very best, and we hope to see you and your friends again one day.
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We were surprised how large the room was, with a large settee, coffee table, desk and a comfortable Queen sized bed. There was also a single bed and a walk-in wardrobe with an ironing board and iron. There was an seperate area in which we were able to make hot drinks, etcThe bathroom was large with a walk-in shower. Everything was very clean. A rear door opened onto a small terrace area with a table and chairs, overlooking the half tennis court and garden. Cars can be parked outside most of the motel style rooms. We had to pay extra (through an outside company) for internet use. This seems to be the same in most of Australia.

The outside area around the small pool and BBQ area was untidy. We were there in October but even in the winter I would have expected the leaves to have been swept up. Not causing any problems but it can give a bad impression.

We had Continental Breakfast in the restauant which included cerials, fruit, toast, etc. Not a very large selection but adequate. A cooked breakfast was available. We also visited the restauant for Dinner on some of the evenings. The food was very good and freshly cooked. Preparation took quite a long time, which did not worry us as we were in a family group and were happy to chat about the days events. However I would suggest possibly ordering earlier so that it is ready on your arrival - especially if you plan to go out in the evening afterwards. It is only a short walk to the Margaret River main shopping street.

It is locally owned and we found everyone to be very helpful. My wife's sister and her husband have regularly stayed at The Comfort Inn Grange on Farrelly and we would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SnapperLincolnshire
Hello SnapperLincolnshire.
We'd like to thank you for your kind and thoughtful words and for taking the time to come back to the subject after quite a break, you said you were with us in October.
Thinking of Lincolnshire reminded me of a few well spent afternoons at the racecourse in Market Rasen, in my youth, but that's another story.
Thank you for raising the many positives, and on the subject of leaves blowing about, yes, fair comment, one of the downsides of having a leafy property is trying to keep on top of the debris, we do our best but sometimes we don't always get there every day, depends on what the other priorities are.
Many thanks for coming back to make your contribution, your comments are appreciated.