“Holiday Units”

Margaret River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
“Holiday Units”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Spacious family room with kitchenette is great value for such a central location. The restaurant offered good food, the Corner Bar had live music and provided a place to sit and watch the world go by while having a drink. All in all this made the weekend more relaxing and fun. We would stay again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Margaret River Hotel is SO conveniently located, right on the main street in town. The reception staff were considerate and allowed me to check in early (I was attending a wedding that afternoon and so appreciated extra time to get ready - I called the day before to see if an early check in would be possible and the person I spoke with a bit dismissive and said she would not guarantee that but then when I arrived I was able to check in about an hour before the allocated time).
The room that I was booked into was a standard room and during the few minutes that it took me to sign in, the check in person must have said about five times that I was in an 'economy room' - loudly so that anybody else in the surrounding area would know that I had taken a less expensive option. Given the price of the room - that was well out of place. For the cost of the room, one would almost get a suite in any Asian resort AND the rate would include breakfast. That was not the case at this facility - AND one has to leave the hotel to get breakfast, as they don't serve it in their dining room. There are lots of cafes near by on the main street, but ......................
My room was unbelievably clean and nicely appointed, although not 'fresh or new or modern' but very clean and comfortable and for a single night, more than adequate. The whole hotel is smoke free and you can tell the minute that you walk in - it doesn't smell old or stale. Just clean. The 'standard' room includes a kettle with tea and coffee provided with a small fridge, so I suppose you could always buy 'breakfast things' at the nearby supermarket and cater for yourself if you were staying for a few days.
Interestingtly enough the key to MY room also opened the door to another room, where I mistakenly went and put down my bag and shoes before collecting my suitcase from downstairs and bringing it up to my room (there is no lift so for those with access issues, bear this in mind with having to carry your suitcase upstairs - just like in SO many European accommodations). The key to my room opened not only the room I was meant to be in but also another room. I didn't check to see how many other doors I could have unlocked with it. BUT I did secure the chain to my door that night.
Also notable from a security point of view - the sash window to the room where I did spend the night, was open when I arrived and had to be secured by me. Access to the room could have been easily achieved from one of the lower roofs. If you read my other reviews, you would know that I always check out the security of my room - and in this instance - Margaret River Hotel failed. BUT it was easily rectified by me - and as I say, a chain to the door is available.
I would say that the winning thing for this facility is it's location ONLY - on all other matters, I found the hotel to be overpriced for what you got. The little bit of service that I did receive (at check in and out) was fine, but not outstanding BUT the cleaning staff clearly take their job very seriously as the hotel was SPOTLESS and both rooms that I saw, were impeccable. I think if you are planning on staying in Margaret River for longer than a single night there are many other more appropriately priced facilities to pick from, but the Margaret River Hotel is a famous and a bit of an institution, so at least now I can mark that off My List. I don't know that I would RECOMMEND this hotel, but there are many worse and LOTS better.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank theldag
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Gorgeous and centrally located. Old world charm. Great restaurant in the house but the waitress was banging away with the siolver ware while I was eating. I think they should polish cutlery in the kitchen not next to the tables where people are eating. The receptionist was super frinedly and the pizza was great too. Would stay here if I came back.

Room Tip: The pizzas are fantastic.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Spent two nights here in a room with corner spa. Although its out the back of the pub it is very quiet. Room was serviceable and would stay here again as you can walk everywhere on the Main Street.
Didn't eat here but the menu looked nice. Good wine & beer selection.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Leigh M
Taupo
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Last time in Margaret Riger we stayed here in the old hotel this time with out our knowledge we were booked into the units at the back. The room was dank, dark and cold on arrival. The furniture in the room was bad taste outdoor furniture, and there was a cockroach on the wall. The bathroom was unclean. We couldn't get the air conditioning unit to work and called for assistance which took over 3 hours to arrive. I couldn't believe that it was the same complex that we had stayed in two years previously and loved.

Room Tip: I wouldn't come back
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Christine R

Travellers are raving about these Margaret River hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were visiting the Margaret River region for three days. We stayed two nights here. The hotel is full of character as befits its history. Easy parking, easy to find, right in the centre of town. Easy walk to cafes, galleries, restaurants, supermarket. Our room was clean and comfortable and surprisingly quiet, even on Saturday night. We weren't bothered by the lack of service on a Sunday, and the friendly staff at reception had offered us clean towels if needed. Nice touches like current magazines and a bowl of fresh apples in the guest lounge, helped us feel at home. Aircon, fan and opening windows!
The restaurant and coffee shop downstairs served great food and the staff were especially welcoming.
There is no lift and all rooms are upstairs. Shorter flight of stairs from the rear entry (could do with a clean).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This Hotel - while the room was basically clean was dark carpets were not that clean O.K. Bed wasnt bad but the hallway walls were patched and scuffed - the back steps into the hotel were neglected. And something we have never heard of before - the rooms were not serviced on Sunday!!! No breakfast - only lunch and dinner.
It was in close proximity to everything tho and reception was nice and polite
Water pressure was almost non existent

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple