“Location central”

Margaret River Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Margaret River
Reviewed 24 June 2013

At the hub of the Margaret River experience. A quaint old hotel with log fires everywhere. A good restaurant in the pub, and a cheery public bar with bar food. outdoor area for those nicer days. The room decor is a bit dated, but all clean and comfortable. The room was huge. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, always happy to have a chat and give some guidance.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Margaret River Hotel

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We came to the Margaret river hotel for lunch today. It's a beautiful building and has a lovely feel to it. I found the staff to be very friendly and professional. They have a large menu. You place your order at the counter but it comes out very quickly and it's nice and fresh. Both my partner and I were quite happy to spend time here and we will be back when we are again in Margaret river.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights on weekend here. Had room at back that had a kind of kitchenette. Clean and had comfy beds. My only complaints where the shower curtain that clung to you in the shower & having to wash up in the bathroom basin but not bad for the price. Lovely old pub.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Perfectly located in the heart of Margret River. Hotel room located behind the pub. Little pricy considering it was not peak season either. $160 a night. Clean, air conditioned and large-ish rooms. Separate bathroom with hairdryer and some toiletries. Small kitchenette with mini fridge, microwave and basic tea and coffee making facilities. Twin rooms available, which we had as it is very useful when travelling with family. Car park at the front door. Thought it was strange the signage in the room that informed that you have to clean up your own cups and plates or a small fee would be charged. Made the hotel feel more like a share house or workplace e.g. were people put up signs re: 'Your mother doesn't work her so clean up your own mess' style mannerism. For $160 thought that a serviced room would have include a general tidy up. Pub right next door not too busy or noisy considering it is May and cooling down. The food at Margaret River Hotel was excellent. Best minestrone soup I have had in a long time. Also drink wine in Margaret River I felt that the pints were expensive. Another good pub was Settlers in which I think all the locals must go as it was very busy. Over all it was a great base to visit the vineyards. after all that all we came to Margaret River. Loved the Watershed, Voyager and Moss brothers winery the most. Enjoyed a full day winery tour with Andrew who works for Margaret River Tours. Excellent meal at Voyagers also.
Top trip. Looking forward to do Swan River one day too. (Enjoy the drive via Cowaramup aka Cow Town with the fiberglass cows cute idea).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hamstar_7
Reviewed 29 May 2013

After expecting pub accommodation I was delightfully surprised. Beautiful rooms and a good price. I stayed in a spa room which was spacious and comfortable. The location is fantastic, right in the centre of town.

Room Tip: The spa room was fantastic. The spa was a good size and didn't take up the entire bathroom
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Broncos06
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Spacious family room with kitchenette is great value for such a central location. The restaurant offered good food, the Corner Bar had live music and provided a place to sit and watch the world go by while having a drink. All in all this made the weekend more relaxing and fun. We would stay again.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The Margaret River Hotel is SO conveniently located, right on the main street in town. The reception staff were considerate and allowed me to check in early (I was attending a wedding that afternoon and so appreciated extra time to get ready - I called the day before to see if an early check in would be possible and the person I spoke with a bit dismissive and said she would not guarantee that but then when I arrived I was able to check in about an hour before the allocated time).
The room that I was booked into was a standard room and during the few minutes that it took me to sign in, the check in person must have said about five times that I was in an 'economy room' - loudly so that anybody else in the surrounding area would know that I had taken a less expensive option. Given the price of the room - that was well out of place. For the cost of the room, one would almost get a suite in any Asian resort AND the rate would include breakfast. That was not the case at this facility - AND one has to leave the hotel to get breakfast, as they don't serve it in their dining room. There are lots of cafes near by on the main street, but ......................
My room was unbelievably clean and nicely appointed, although not 'fresh or new or modern' but very clean and comfortable and for a single night, more than adequate. The whole hotel is smoke free and you can tell the minute that you walk in - it doesn't smell old or stale. Just clean. The 'standard' room includes a kettle with tea and coffee provided with a small fridge, so I suppose you could always buy 'breakfast things' at the nearby supermarket and cater for yourself if you were staying for a few days.
Interestingtly enough the key to MY room also opened the door to another room, where I mistakenly went and put down my bag and shoes before collecting my suitcase from downstairs and bringing it up to my room (there is no lift so for those with access issues, bear this in mind with having to carry your suitcase upstairs - just like in SO many European accommodations). The key to my room opened not only the room I was meant to be in but also another room. I didn't check to see how many other doors I could have unlocked with it. BUT I did secure the chain to my door that night.
Also notable from a security point of view - the sash window to the room where I did spend the night, was open when I arrived and had to be secured by me. Access to the room could have been easily achieved from one of the lower roofs. If you read my other reviews, you would know that I always check out the security of my room - and in this instance - Margaret River Hotel failed. BUT it was easily rectified by me - and as I say, a chain to the door is available.
I would say that the winning thing for this facility is it's location ONLY - on all other matters, I found the hotel to be overpriced for what you got. The little bit of service that I did receive (at check in and out) was fine, but not outstanding BUT the cleaning staff clearly take their job very seriously as the hotel was SPOTLESS and both rooms that I saw, were impeccable. I think if you are planning on staying in Margaret River for longer than a single night there are many other more appropriately priced facilities to pick from, but the Margaret River Hotel is a famous and a bit of an institution, so at least now I can mark that off My List. I don't know that I would RECOMMEND this hotel, but there are many worse and LOTS better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo