“Not that nice”

and 1 more site!
Margaret River Lodge
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Not that nice:
1. Firstly, i mean the reception staff. Strictly insistent to demand guests to do his job while checking out.
2. the room cleanliness. no, not okay.
3. location is bit too far from town if u r on foot.

however, i met good friendly travellers there who i wish i'd stay longer to befriend with.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank indcpps7777

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

I have no words. This place is so disgusting. Everything Laura wrote from her entry 'wouldn't let a dog stay here' was absolutely accurate. I won't repeat again but I will add that the mess in the kitchen makes it a biohazard area, theft of food and alcohol from the communal fridges is a daily occurrence, the TV is unwatchable and my feelings for Margaret River and hostels are tainted for a lifetime because of this pithole. Stay here at your own danger.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank arumanda
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have travelled across Australia staying in many hostels (many excellent, some so-so) but this is by far the worst!!

It wasn't the lodge I stayed in but the city centre branch on town view terrace, couldn't find it separately on here but it is managed by the same people as the Margaret river lodge.

If you are planning to stay here and look for work and you want to stay up late every night drinking and listening to the long term residents boast about how many girls they have ****** then this place may be an option for you. However if you are merely visiting Margaret river for a wineries tour etc and want to actually enjoy your stay, then I would recommend paying that bit more for a hotel. Wish we had!!

My friend and I stayed here in January 2013 for 3 nights and this place really put a dampener on our whole trip to Margaret river which is such a shame as the region has a lot to offer and a winery day trip should not be missed.

The only good thing was the reasonably clean bathrooms, everything else about the place was awful. Staff were helpful but it's not the staff that are the problem here, it's the residents!!

We stayed in the female dorm which was occupied by mostly seasonal workers rather than tourists. This meant that they are rising at 4am to go and work in the vineyards or working late in restaurants until the early hours. Because of this there is never really a 'quiet time' at the hostel and you are woken at all hours by people coming and going. Basically the residents stay up till about 2am most nights drinking and making a lot of noise, then you get a rush of people leaving for work at 4am switching the light on and off and making lots of racket and banging around in the dorm getting ready, here they don't give a damn if they wake you up or not, of course I expect a little noise when staying in hostels but we should also expect some consideration towards each other but here there was none. I had the worst 3 nights sleep of my life here!!

And because the guests are seasonal workers and here long-term they seem to think its ok to leave their entire suitcases and dirty clothes strewn all over the floor so the room stunk and was like an obstacle course trying to get to our beds. Brilliant. The whole atmosphere of the place is dominated by the mostly
British men who stomp around the place like neanderthals burping, drinking nonstop and watching football. Think they must have had about 3 brain cells between them in total.

The air conditioning was non existent during the day so the room was sweltering and then at night time got progressively colder so by about 3am you were absolutely freezing feeling like you were in the North Pole! And we weren't even able to control the air conditioning ourselves (like in any other hostel) as the controls are not inside the room so you are at the mercy of the hostel management. Seriously anyone with half a brain would not want to stay here!

Along with the worlds most lumpy pillow that consisted of 5 balls of material shoved into a pillowcase, I was so excited to leave and get away from that place.

A low point for me was one horrible little specimen (resident) boasting to another about how he had ****** a girl outside on the porch the previous night.... this hostel attracts scum!!

I really feel sorry for the Aussie locals who live on the same street and have to put up with the horrors that come and go from this place. We couldn't wait to get away. Normal and decent ppl please dont consider this dump of a hostel, you won't regret it!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura F
Reviewed 14 January 2013

First time staying at a hostel in margaret river, My friend recommended it. I must say the place does not look like it has been maintained and well kept. Management needs to look into the state of the female and male dormitories. The bunk beds were filthy in room 6 and quite a bad stench. We stay after the xmas period and was fully dissapointed by the noises, ventilation and the hygiene of the place. I did not even dare to go near the pool. I wasnt sure how clean it was. Also there is not a single fan in room 6 and I was dying trying to sleep. Next day we change to room 7, it was just average ok for the last night. THANKGOD. I hope every dorm is not like that or else we all will be suffering and gasping for air. I will not be recommending this to any budget goers or backpackers.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a proper fan....
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alias88
Reviewed 11 January 2013

First time I stayed at the YHA Margaret River lodge was prolly 5 years ago and I held fond memories of it, but 5 years later, I can't say the same anymore. The place is run down, kitchen is in a constant mess and dirty, the room we had the first night was a nightmare! (No fan in the room and it was summer, the available beds were two top bunks and one bottom bunk, but neither of them were clean... there were bugs on the bed and the room smelled, apparently the fly trappers didn't help much). As we arrived late, we decided to just put on the sheets and try to fall asleep, but the heat was just unbearable.. We decided to change room the next day and got a SLIGHTLY better one. The bathroom was bright, but not clean.. we didn't even go out to the pool.. This place has potential, but something needs to be done to help spruce up the place and bring back its shine 5 years ago.. The doors didn't provide much security and it was quite noisy even after 1am so I couldn't get to sleep for fear that some drunks might walk into the room.. Unless this place gets a makeover soon, I will not recommend this place even to my enemies.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a fan.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angela C
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The reception is efficient and friendly.
The location is in the middle of nature.
In the double room where we was everything was very old and dirty, with a smell of old and dirty. The bathroom was very dirty as well. We don't suggest tris place.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francesco G
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed in this place in one of the private rooms. The private rooms are in a seperate complex from the dorms allowing for 'extra privacy' and seem to have a different vibe from the dorm area - it was quieter and more family-oriented perhaps where the private rooms were located. It was a nicely run hostel with lots of facilities. We didn't use the pool as the weather was not great but there is plenty to do and see. The staff were friendly and helpful, offering us lifts to places free of charge as we didn't have a car. The room had one of the most comfortable beds I have stayed in on my travels. The decor could do with a freshening up although this is a minor criticism as the hostel is good value for money.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family