“Excelent!”

Brasilia, DF
“Excelent!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Excelent hostel!
Very clean place, friendly people, good location.
Great opportunity to make new friends!
The hostel have collective kitchen and each guest has their wares (provided by the hostel).
Very clean bathroom and free wi-fi.
And the town of Margaret River is wonderfull!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Ben M, Manager at Margaret River Backpackers YHA, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future! We take the cleanliness of our hostel very seriously, so thank you for commenting on that. Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I stayed here while I did my regional work in Margaret river so I stayed on and off for over 5 months. It's in a perfect location to town, Ben the manager is brilliant and knows so much about then local area so it is nice to actually get decent advice on things to do there. It is a working hostel so there are rules which are sometimes hard to abide (no alcohol n noise after 12on weekends) but it was certainly good during the week as most of us had early starts during the week. I have some of my best memories being there and I made some amazing friends and I cannot wait to visit it again when I return to oz! Keep it up guys!

• Stayed July 2013
Hello!

We would like to thank you for your very kind words! For you to say our hostel is the"Best ever!" is really encouraging, and great to know our hard work is having a positive influence on travelers. Its all about respect in our hostel, and we hope you return to Margaret River again one day! There will always be a bed waiting for you!
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I was staying here with some friends for a few days while we were checking out the winery's. The bedrooms were dirty and smelly. Curtains always drawn and windows shut. Bedding was not clean and you weren't allowed to use your own. The floors were all dirty and it looked like the place had not been cleaned in a while. We had to to pay before we saw the room and there was a no refund policy otherwise we would left and found somewhere else. The front desk manager was unhelpful, he did not know much about anything in Margaret River. The only good thing was the location. I have stayed in many back packers - more so in NZ, however this was the worst one I have stayed in.
It took all our effort just to be there when we were sleeping, let alone during the day. I would not stay here again. EVER.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Ben M, Manager at Margaret River Backpackers YHA, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Hi,

Thank you for reviewing our hostel, and we are disappointed our hostel did not meet your expectations. We strive to provide the best possible facilities and service for our guests, and take all feedback on board to improve our business. I was actually away on holidays at the time of your visit, but I will do my best to respond to your concerns with our hostel.

Your first issue of the cleanliness of our hostel is something we take very seriously in our hostel. We employ a cleaner for 5 hours a day to clean the hostel. I believe they do a great job, but I also understand this is challenging in a shared accommodation. Our bed sheets are provided and cleaned by a local linen company, and each guest is always given fresh,clean linen. Our Blankets are washed after each use and the mattress protectors are cleaned on a regular basis. Our business is also subjected to random health and safety inspections by the shire of Margaret River, of which our most recent one we were commended on the cleanliness of our business.

Keeping the dorms smelling clean and homely is always a challenge particularly in our larger 8 and 10 bed dorms. Our guests are free to open the windows and blinds as they wish. My cleaners are also asked to open the windows when they clean the dorms everyday to ensure the rooms get a chance to air out. The only time I ask that the windows are closed is on very hot days when I have the A/C on. This is purely so the A/C works efficiently for the comfort of our guests.

Its difficult for me to respond directly to the customer service you received on your visit. I think your request to see the room prior to booking is perfectly reasonable. I always give people the option to see the different rooms we have available prior to booking. The no refund policy we have in place is general practice in the industry, however we do refund in certain situations. If someone is really not happy with our hostel and I think the reasons are valid, I will happily refund the remaining nights.

Thank you again for your feedback. We hope that you might consider staying in our hostel again, when I'm confident you will have a more memorable experience.
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

This hostel is one of the best hostels I have stayed in and I met some great people here! The hostel is centrally located in town and just a short walk from the bus station. The facilities are modern and very clean, and it was nice to have free Internet and cable TV.

There was a great atmosphere in this hostel, with a great mix of long term working travelers and other backpackers passing through for a few nights. The manager was super friendly and told us everything about the area, some secret spots and booked our wine tours and surf lessons which were all amazing!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Oosthuizen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Margereth River YHA on town view tce just got a new manager (april 2013). It's a nice place to stay. Its not that big, but that is what I like to meet other backpackers and have a bit of contact with everyone.
The manager is really nice and always able to help you!
It's close to the towncentre and there is a hostelshuttle that will bring you to the beach and back, different times a day.
It's a bit difficult to go around the area without a car, but a good place for a bit relaxing. There are a few tours you can book.
I enjoyed my time here. Was here for about a week in the beginning of Dec.

• Stayed December 2013
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Service - it's depend on situation, maybe. be careful of the owner, could be rude to u. the staffs are not bad though

Facilities - kitchen, bathroom were not too bad. dorm beds are not too dirty but we need thicker linen for the freezing condition at nights.

i met cool, friendly people in this hostel.it was like a big family, people mixed & blended from all around the world. i enjoyed my stay very much b'coz of the travellers here despite of the ill-mannered owner.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Cape Town
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I have travelled across Australia staying in many hostels (many excellent, some so-so) but this is by far the worst!!

It wasn't the lodge I stayed in but the city centre branch on town view terrace, couldn't find it separately on here but it is managed by the same people as the Margaret river lodge.

If you are planning to stay here and look for work and you want to stay up late every night drinking and listening to the long term residents boast about how many girls they have ****** then this place may be an option for you. However if you are merely visiting Margaret river for a wineries tour etc and want to actually enjoy your stay, then I would recommend paying that bit more for a hotel. Wish we had!!

My friend and I stayed here in January 2013 for 3 nights and this place really put a dampener on our whole trip to Margaret river which is such a shame as the region has a lot to offer and a winery day trip should not be missed.

The only good thing was the reasonably clean bathrooms, everything else about the place was awful. Staff were helpful but it's not the staff that are the problem here, it's the residents!!

We stayed in the female dorm which was occupied by mostly seasonal workers rather than tourists. This meant that they are rising at 4am to go and work in the vineyards or working late in restaurants until the early hours. Because of this there is never really a 'quiet time' at the hostel and you are woken at all hours by people coming and going. Basically the residents stay up till about 2am most nights drinking and making a lot of noise, then you get a rush of people leaving for work at 4am switching the light on and off and making lots of racket and banging around in the dorm getting ready, here they don't give a damn if they wake you up or not, of course I expect a little noise when staying in hostels but we should also expect some consideration towards each other but here there was none. I had the worst 3 nights sleep of my life here!!

And because the guests are seasonal workers and here long-term they seem to think its ok to leave their entire suitcases and dirty clothes strewn all over the floor so the room stunk and was like an obstacle course trying to get to our beds. Brilliant. The whole atmosphere of the place is dominated by the mostly
British men who stomp around the place like neanderthals burping, drinking nonstop and watching football. Think they must have had about 3 brain cells between them in total.

The air conditioning was non existent during the day so the room was sweltering and then at night time got progressively colder so by about 3am you were absolutely freezing feeling like you were in the North Pole! And we weren't even able to control the air conditioning ourselves (like in any other hostel) as the controls are not inside the room so you are at the mercy of the hostel management. Seriously anyone with half a brain would not want to stay here!

Along with the worlds most lumpy pillow that consisted of 5 balls of material shoved into a pillowcase, I was so excited to leave and get away from that place.

A low point for me was one horrible little specimen (resident) boasting to another about how he had ****** a girl outside on the porch the previous night.... this hostel attracts scum!!

I really feel sorry for the Aussie locals who live on the same street and have to put up with the horrors that come and go from this place. We couldn't wait to get away. Normal and decent ppl please dont consider this dump of a hostel, you won't regret it!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!