“A Place to Chill Out”

Hidden Valley Forest Retreat
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Stayed 2 nights in the Stone Cottage and though not as luxurious as the other units, it was perfect, private and very comfortable. We relaxed and enjoyed our stay. A screen door would assit the breezes to flow thru the cabin, maybe a small log fire for winter time would add to the character.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brendoon

Reviewed 19 October 2012

It sounded expensive, but managed make that seem like no issue. Unique space, in fact spaciousness of mind would be a defining reaction. And it was spotlessly clean (me and my wife get the creeps easily if not).

The variety nice little touches: a simple espresso machine that pumps a sweet brew, the bush-window view rain-shower, nice iPhone-friendly sound system, and the bedroom that is a refuge yet has a wrap-around panorama window below ceiling-level so you can see the trees blowing in the breeze as you lay there.

I really feel mystified by the Chrisgarner piece...for one thing, the owners are 60, and their only grandchild lives interstate...so...who was fishing?? (btw, I though the lake-pond was so-so...but it's behind trees anyway.)

There is a couple of bottles of their own wine thrown in, but neither of us drink, so can't say about that.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

As some previous reviews, I dont know where the people with negative reviews have been... .
My husband & I spent 3 nights at beginning Oct12, for our 30th Anniv. We found the bush, lake, frogs, ducks, rabbits a fantastic and serene experience. The candles & log fire, the outdoor spa & barbecue. The comfy bed and large windows, were all very romantic to look at the night sky & stars or just bush and lake. We did select the most expensive retreat building, but the serenity was worth it. The private lake has some great boardwalks to stroll on and swim in.
The owners and staff were extremely friendly and helpful.! There quickly if you needed anything, and not there when you didnt want them. They try to impose as little as possible whilst still keeping things maintained. Rupert the private chef was very friendly & his food fantastic!. The steak bbq meal order was yummy & well worth it, and the breakfasts were great too. Lots of fresh homemade food & drink, with some good wine if required....
We will be back there again one day... Definitely! THANKS!

Room Tip: Loved private lake.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hetty G
Reviewed 30 September 2012

my partner and i stayed in the deepwater retreat for 2 nights over the long weekend and we werent dissapointed. the location is spectacular, not cheap but well worth the money spent. having read a couple of negative reviews we have judged the retreat as we saw it and we cant fault our experience. the host/owner sally was extremelt friendly, helpful and accomodating. the fresh homemade continental breakfast was beautiful. we reccomend the retreat to any couples looking for a relaxing weekend away and we look forward to returning in the near future. thanks again to sally and the other staff for helping us celebrate our honeymoon

Room Tip: deepwater retreat is a must
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simontw23
Reviewed 18 September 2012

After staying at a number of retreats in the South West this would be the only bad & worst experience I've ever had.
I suprised my Wife & booked the Deep Water retreat chalet for a special occasion . On entry to the chalet we were
greeted with cobwebs around cieling and windows with flies stuck in them, a kitchen fan with oil dripping off it and a fridge that stinks to high heaven. To top it off a hour & a half after we arrived at our private Deep Water retreat with an outdoor spa the caretaker and his kids turn up without notice to pull a net in off the jetty wich accompanies Deep water Retreat so I'm not to happy with the invasion of privacy!
However after I phoned them about the problems we have had they offered us 2 bottles of wine for the caretker visit and to come and clean again. I would have thought when you pay $495 per night it would be spotless in the first place.
Anyway thanks for a weekend that was supposed to be special but wasn't!!
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I gave my girlfriend a rough idea where we were going...she has super high expectations and hidden valley exceeded my girlfriends expectations! And mine!...the definition of relaxing! The massage,the waking up to the animals in the Forrest,the wine and especially the home made platter and food. I even stuffed my order up and had nothing for the Saturday night....called up and it was my mistake but they accommodated us with in 10mins with most lovely meal.
I was due to fly back offshore on the Monday and I was trying to delay that because it was just so dam relaxing! Couldn't speak high enough about the place...we will be back very soon!
Broc,Rachel.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

We stayed 3 years ago in their Deep water retreat and loved it so much that we returned this month for a 3 night stay. It was good but not fantastic like last time. You can't help but feel they are doing things on the cheap. We never had our room cleaned once which was dissapointing as the last thing you want to do is make your bed when you are paying 5 star prices. The coffee and tea were not replaced so we ended up having to buy our own. 3 years ago they use to make fresh bread and drop it off and clean the room, replace milk, tea and coffee everyday. On the plus side their property manager Andrew was very pleasant and knowldegable. It is a beautfiul spot in the forrest very peaceful and quiet. The outdoor spa is amazing. If the owners would put more effort into the little things I would think this place would be booming with couples.

Room Tip: Deepwater Cabin is the best.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple