During a recent trip to Margaret River I thought I would try out this accomodation as I had heard good things about it and the room pictures looked good on the website. What I didn't know was that a) the website pics are old and misleading to the current condition and overall 'feel' and b) the motel has recently been sold and this management are amateurish at best.
When we arrived our key was left out despite arriving during reception hours. We tried the door anyway because we needed pamphlets. The smell of smoke was overwhelming when we entered (it is advertised as a non smoking property! The manager (?) Bruce lives in the unit out the back of reception). We were advised we were in a newly renovated room (which was not the one we had booked but we thought we would have a look anyway). So we started to offload our luggage out of the car (NB Avoid the 'ramp' as the angle it is on surely must be illegally steep) and traipsed around for a while trying to find our room. We eventually found Room 12 written in texta on a wall and went in. I was not happy straight away as we had to walk past, and were next to, the managers residence and balcony and the smell of smoke was overwhelming even outdoors walking next to it.
The room we found to be very poorly renovated. I suspect it is 2 old offices and a storage room which they have converted. It is hard to describe the rooms, it was like a bit or a rabbit warren, the rooms didin't align and so even though the air con was in the living room pointing towards the bedroom, no air got through to the bed so it was very stuffy. When the air con is on too you need to be careful of the overflow which dumps onto the steps (also illegal?) and makes it slippery.
In summary here is a list of things we found which were not satisfactory;
- multiple lip marks on the wine glasses
- noisy overhead fan in bedroom
- bed is squeezed into a small space and not much room around it
- there is a ledge which runs the length of the bottom of the mirror. Unfortunately the ledge makes access to the toilet difficult as you would not be able to sit straight without banging your head or shoulder
- the internet didn't work
- poor and possibly dangerous access
- loud road noise
- large air con unit (for reception) boxed in on room 12s balcony which was loud and very hot
- poor quality pillows
- no soap provided
- poor ventilation
- building rubbish left around the side of the accomodation (which is the view from the room we were put in).
We rang around some other places to see if we could get different accomodation and found some but be wary.. we discovered later that the new owners also own the two nearby (over the road) guesthouses (of which there are some poor reviews too) and Nathalies restaurant.
Eventually we got hold of Bruce who despite living on premises and we knew he was in the room ignored the bell and didn't answer his mobile so we called the landline twice while we waited outside. He agreed quickly to a refund (thankfully) but did at first try and tell me that it was ok to smoke on premises (even outside this reception door is a non smoking sign and on their web site it says non smoking property!).
We packed up our stuff and took off. Never will we go back there or to the other 2 properties we know they own. BTW - we were not the only ones to leave. 3 adults who arrived at the same time also left at the same time very unhappy and we were also told by the wonderful hosts were we did end up staying that they had had enquiries from another couple the next day and also had 2 from one of the other accomodation places owned by this group leave and look for alternatives.
It may of been nice once, but is not now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Adamson’s Riverside we make every effort to ensure our guest’s stay is as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. As soon as you arrive you will be warmly welcomed as we provide a home from home friendly atmosphere.Our commitment to you is to really make a difference in your time spent in Margaret River leaving you feeling relaxed and energized, share our enthusiasm for what is probably one of the most inspiring regions in Australia.Choose Adamson’s Riverside as your place of holiday here in the beautiful natural attraction of the Margaret River region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Adamson's Riverside Accommodation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adamson`s Riverside Hotel Margaret River
- Adamsons Riverside Accommodation Hotel
- Adamsons Riverside Accommodation Margaret River