“Not genuinely hospitable”

Ranked #2 of 20 Margaret River B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Not genuinely hospitable”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I wouldn't recommend this place because when you stay at a B&B you want the owners to be flexible and friendly, and I observed this based on three things:
**At 9:55 on the day of checkout we were given a 'friendly' reminder by Jane that checkout was at 10:00am;
**We asked for an extra towel and it seemed a bother: we were asked whether they hadn't already given us two towels;
**I arrived at 8:50 for breakfast (breakfast was at 8-9) and it seemed to be a bother.

That being said, the amenities and the food were excellent- I just didn't find the B&B to offer genuine hospitality. That little bit of flexibility is the kind of thing that makes me feel welcome to stay, return, and recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roushie
kirstiepurdie, Owner at Rosewood Guesthouse, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Hi Roushie
It can sometimes be a challenge to meet guest's expectations and clearly on this occasion we did not meet yours.
I am not sure how many B&B's you have stayed in but I will suggest to you there are certain courtesies expected of guests as well.
+ When you arrived, later than check in time, we took the time to acquaint you with the region and I telephoned to ensure you could get a reservation for dinner.
+ Yes you came and requested an extra towel, and Keith immediately went and got one for you even though at 8.30 we were cooking and serving a full dining room of other guests ... and yes he did ask whether we had forgotten to provide you with towels in the room. We need to ensure that we haven't overlooked preparing rooms carefully and we don't have a problem providing extra towels.
+ What you didn't mention was that when you arrived at 8.50 you chose to sit at a table which had just been vacated. There was a setting for you at another table and from their comments the other guests were a little surprised that you chose not to join them, however I understood that you wanted your own space.
+ Although I was still cooking for other guests I made the time to clear and reset that table for you and I am not sure that I received a word of thanks, I did ask whether you would like me to serve you then or whether you would like to wait for your companion. I am not sure what was inflexible in what I did!
+ Your companion came some time later around 9.15 and I then prepared the breakfast for you both and served it with the same care and courtesy as all our guests. I am glad you found the food to your liking.
+ when you left the table and settled on the couches to watch something on your ipad's you looked very comfortable and happy and I thought that you were enjoying your stay and that is what we hope to achieve with our guests.
+Yes I did eventually mention our check out time was 10am as at 9.55am you both still engrossed with the ipad's and based on our previous experience I was concerned that you might think check out was much later and I am quite shocked that you were offended by such a simple remark about a common routine in almost any place of accommodation.
+ In order to be ready for our next guests we do need time to clean and prepare the rooms and I am pleased that you appreciated that our rooms and amenities were excellent .

I believe that we are hospitable and flexible hosts, and the overwhelming number of guests are more than happy here at Rosewood. We were really disappointed with your comments as we believe we did everything we could to make your stay enjoyable even though you seemed to have little regard for the fact that we do have some customs which we do ask guests to observe.
Perhaps B&B's are not for you as I don't really know how better we could have served you.
We are committed to ensuring our guests enjoy their stay but equally we are entitled to ask our guests to respect our time frames that are there for a reason.
Jane & Keith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My husband and I holidayed in Margaret River and spent a very relaxed evening at Rosewood Guesthouse. Beautifully decorated - the cottage gardens are an absolute delight and we especially enjoyed watching the local birdlife whilst enjoying a AAAA+ home cooked breakfast on the morning of our departure. A touch of class with old world charm - very, very clean and well appointed accommodation. Jane and Keith made us very welcome in their home and were most helpful with information about local attractions and restaurants - our only regret is that we could not have stayed longer to enjoy a port or two in the lounge.

Hi Solidground69!
Fantastic to know that you enjoyed your stay at Rosewood and found the rooms to your liking and our garden set the scene. Lingering over a port in the guest lounge is a very pleasant way to spend the evening and we hope that you can return some time in the future to indulge.
Subiaco, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We only stayed at Rosewood Guesthouse for 1 night but loved every moment of it. Our room was lovely and our breakfast was brilliant - we loved the waffles! Keith and Jane were welcoming hosts and we were particularly grateful for Keith's dinner recommendations - we would have had no idea where to choose otherwise! The Rosewood Guesthouse is in a great location in Margaret River - perfect for exploring the surrounding area. We wished we could have stayed longer!

Hi TravellingKimmi
We are very pleased that we could help with recommendations and that our breakfast was enjoyed so much. We do our best to ensure a positive experience!
Thanks for recommending Rosewood.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

We have just spent a 2 night stay at Rosewood and it was far too short! Jane and Keith have everything just right. Our room was comfortable with the biggest bed I have ever slept in. The breakfast choice was amazing with everything home made, even the marmalade and preserves. I had the most perfect poached egg I have ever eaten.
We took a tour in Rose the Rolls Royce. It was the best way to see the area and visit some special vineyards. Keith is a great Guide with extensive knowledge of the area.
All in all I can not recommend Rosewood highly enough and will most definitely go back if we are ever in the area again.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
kirstiepurdie, Owner at Rosewood Guesthouse, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Hi Sandy
Wonderful to know that our King size beds met with your approval. I have just finished making some more Marmalade today and it is a good batch if I say so myself! Keith loves taking guests out in Rose Royce and think it is a memorable day too.
Once again thanks for your encouraging review and we hope to see you again!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2013

From the moment Keith opened the door to us on our arrival to the day we left our stay was perfect. The attention to detail, the sumptuous breakfasts, the comfortable bed and room. Jane and Keith left no stone unturned in helping to make our holiday all we hoped for. Their knowledge of the local area is so helpful in planning what you want to do and it certainly maximises the time you have available. We appreciated everything Jane and keith did for us to make our stay in Margaret River one we will never forget. Thank you so much Jane and Keith

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
kirstiepurdie, Owner at Rosewood Guesthouse, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Hi Clare & Paul
It was a delight to share our knowledge of the local area with you, we love to see our visitors explore the the region while still finding time to relax and unwind. Thank you so much for your very positive feedback and good luck in your new position and we hope that Christchurch has a very stable future!
Regards to you both
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My partner and I stayed at rosewood guesthouse this past weekend for my birthday and I have one word for it

..... AMAZING!!!......

Jane and Keith were very hospitable, from the moment we walked to the door, it was opened to a smiling Jane and a warm welcome. Breakfast was made promptly every morning and it was absolutely scrumptious. I would recommend the wonderful waffles ... Mouth watering...

The room was large, but had a cosy romantic feel to it. Furthernore, it was airy, vibrant in colour and clean. Our room had a bay window that looked out to the back garden. It was amazing to wake up to.

All in all I give rosewood a 5 out of 5 in every category. We had a lovely stay and will Definately be back as well as recommending to all our friends.

Thank you Jane and Keith. :) xx

• Stayed April 2013
kirstiepurdie, Owner at Rosewood Guesthouse, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Hi LeashyAnne
You very kind review has made our day! It is wonderful to know how much you enjoyed your stay, and that you appreciate the comforts of Rosewood.

We will make sure we keep up the standards for your return which we hope will be soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Keith and Jane were very helpful from the start, giving us advice on places to go and eat. The rooms were cozy and clean, beds very comfortable and the breakfast was delicious. I recommend the waffles -- very crispy with fresh cream and fruit. They also hand make their compotes (fruit cooked with either sugar or wine/liqueur) and wonderful with yogurt. At night we enjoyed complimentary cookies, tea with fresh milk, and port/sherry in their cozy sitting room. We enjoyed it so much we stayed an extra night. We walked in to town every night for dinner. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 which had a nice view to the back garden.