“Convenient”
Review of The Cobb Hotel

The Cobb Hotel
Reviewed 17 December 2012

THe room was very basic but for $57 was great value. The room was above a pub but no noise was evident - restaurant below was great. A five minute walk to town was great with restaurants all very close. Staff were all polite and efficient - will be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 November 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel as we found quite good reviews about this hotel. It is centrally located, few minutes from the shopping malls, The Square, and other fine dining places in PN. The hotel was quite cheap and the room was small but clean. It is funny that the Hotel Reception is usually closed out all the time, and is dark in that area and the Bar girl served as Receptionist, handing out the keys to our room. The staff were friendly and helpful; but the most disturbing events began to unfurl at night. Unbeknown to us, the four of the neighbouring rooms were used by partying swingers, who began their misdemeanor at 10pm which went on all night until 5am. The rooms do not have landline phones and when we tried the phoine number which we found n their website, no one answered. There were several men and women doing this, even having sex right there on the open hallway. Few more joined in their orgy coming in and going out of the Fire-Exit door at the end of the hallway, which unfortunately was located just next to our room. The noise, the screams and the vulgar slangs used by these people was absolutely unbearable. It was shameful to think that my wife had to go through all this with me. although, I did not dare to challenge them, being 2 against a dozen wilful and notorious people. Money and booze were freely exchanged between these people. By 6am, most of these people had checked out and we decided to cancel our stay (we were scheduled to stay for 2 nights). When we checked out., Sarah the duty manager apologised hugely and promised to return one day's room fare which was approved by the General Manager of the Hotel who also has sent an email of apology over the incident. The money for the 2nd day was returned to us, although we were not compensated for the first night. Stay out of this hotel from Friday to Sunday, unless you want to join the swingers here.

Room Tip: Rooms appear good value for the money you spend, but what might happen at night is absolutely unpred...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravellerPorirua
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Not looking for flash, just needed bed for the night the Empire filled all my needs. Nice and central I used local bus system, easy to follow and fares system clear. Glad I was in a premium room further from the bar, could be noisy over weekends I think. Room was old but beautifully clean will stay again for quick trips.

Room Tip: Premium rooms further from bar and still affordable
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Centrally located in Palmerston North, few minutes from The Square, shopping malls and restaurants, this hotel was quite cheap. The room was warm as at my home, clean and well organised. The staffs were friendly and helpful. The bar on ground floor was a bit noisy but definitely a place to hang out in the night. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Location is excellent, the place is clean and check in procedure was easy.
Top half of bed was sinking and very uncomfortable, TV wasn't tuned into Sky in our room and after asking someone at 10am in the morning they said they would re-tune it by the evening. The evening came and we went down to the bar but they were over-run and didnt have time to come up.
Overall, what you expect for a budget stay and for the price and location was a good choice for what we were after

Room Tip: Worth the extra to pay for rooms away from the bar!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just needed a place to crash after a friends party so booked one of the cheapest rooms I could find online. Pleasantly surprised! It's not flash but very clean and comfortable. Free parking was handy. Location was very central and above a busy bar. Noise didn't bother me as I was out til after the bar closed.
Reception staff were very friendly but when I first checked in I found my room still being cleaned. I was an hour or so early so wasn't bothered about coming back later but found it odd they gave me the key when it wasn't ready. Otherwise, very accomodating.
Overall I had a very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Old-fashioned town-centred hotel. Tired rooms, but with en suite and tv. Very good for price. Easy for strangers, however, to wander around corridors. No full-length mirror, grrrhhh!

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms are above the bar which is extremely noisy on Thurs, Fri, Sat nights. However, I...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo