“Great Food in a bad combination”

Speight's Ale House Palmerston North
Price range: US$11 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, New Zealand
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Great Food in a bad combination”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The place is awesome and the environment is very nice for unwind & dinner. Price is reasonable. Fast service and very friendly staff. The food presentation is not attractive but it taste very yummy, The servings make your tummy stretch but the combination is bad. Customer should ask the food combination during order takes place or request for best recommended from the waiter.

• Korean first
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I don't like writing negative reviews but I couldn't really give my experience a 3 star, even when considering its intended market. I expected a pub like meal, with good comfort food at reasonable prices. I found the price of my steak right up there ($33 if I remember correctly) yet it was not a good cut and over cooked relative to my order, with vegetables way undercooked (and we like crisp veges!). My wife's baby pavlova was really a large meringue. While the service was OK there was a sense of tiredness and staff being rushed (although accepting it was graduation week).

Visited May 2014
Palmerston North, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
“a go to place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

great décor,staff are awesome.The food choices are varied for all tastes and good value .The beer choices are great for the blokes and wine choices to suit all.Great place to take the family

• Visited November 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Always a reliable choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Good food. Large meals and that pub atmosphere which we enjoy as a family although it can be noisy so I would probably recommend sitting upstairs. Great choice on the menu and the fresh breads are delicious. We always find restaurants like these expensive now as the children eat adult meals but it's no worse than any other and it's the drinks that bump up the price.

Tauranga, New Zealand
“I Love a Speights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

First time visit. Unfortunately after making an internet booking the staff were unable to locate the booking. Some of our party arrived before myself so were left waiting. After the apologetic staff seated us we were treated to a very nice looking menu. A lot of choices sure to please everyone. Good price for the portion size. I love Speights beer so tried the new "Wheat". A lighter ale closer to Gold Medal with a hint of spiciness. I had the Shearer's Shank Lamb, very nice. Staff were well dressed and pleasant. We will visit again, great place to take the Uni daughter for a fed. have scored it "average" but sure to get a higher score on the next visit.