“You get what you pay for”
Review of @ The Hub 'East'

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palmerston North
@ The Hub 'East'
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This review applies to a long-term studio unit rental. My room was clean and functional. Most of the staff were helpful albeit more used to dealing with students. Note that when they say you need to provide your own linen, this is not the usual definition of 'linen' - you need to supply blankets and pillows as well as sheets and towels. The walls are fairly thin so a neighbour taking a shower early morning or late night could wake you up if the configuration of your room means that their shower is right beside your bed as mine was ! Showers are fantastic, very powerful, hence why the neighbour's one woke me occasionally.
Overall, I think it was reasonable for what it cost and fit the purpose for me of being a stopgap until I bought a house.

Room Tip: I'd recommend getting a room on the front of the building as the back overlooks a pub that is ve...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Hinemoa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This was without a doubt the worst accommodation I have ever experienced. In case you are encouraged by the photos on their website, the room we were given was MUCH more basic, which would actually have been OK... if it was clean. Unfortunately this was definitely not the case. The bathroom was absolutely filthy, grime caked on the bottom of the shower. When my husband had a shower on the first day he found the water pooling and looked down to find whatever was down the plug hole floating around his feet. I chose not to have a shower for obvious reasons, and placed a towel on the floor to avoid touching it. When other members of our party complained about problems in their rooms nothing was done by staff despite saying they would. When we raised our issues with the staff member on the front desk at time of check out, he could not have been more rude or less sorry. And informed us that they cleaned the rooms to their standard and if we didn't think that was acceptable then we should stay somewhere else. I wonder how the room could have been cleaned when a dirty towel was left on the floor of the bathroom and someone else's milk and yoghurt was left in the fridge. The only good thing about our stay was that we were only there for 2 nights (only one for me thank goodness). This is cheap accommodation and you will get much much less than what you pay for. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank SPhillips1975

Travellers are raving about these Palmerston North hotels

Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The first room I was placed in was horrendous. The whole room was filthy and the bath room was caked in dirt. Extremely unhygienic. Furthermore, the kitchen utensils I had ordered were nowhere to be seen.

The second room was a little better, but the bath room was dirty there as well, and was not properly cleaned until I had complained about it several times. I actually had to show the cleaner where to clean.

I was told at check-in that towels and bed sheets would be changed every week. I had to wait almost 3 weeks before they changed them, after complaining three times about it.

The staff is unprofessional and does not take complaints seriously. They say they will fix things, but you will have to complain several times before they act.

Paper-thin walls, night club next door with very loud music and shouting people every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, making sleep difficult.

Dirty, stinking carpets throughout.

Windows didn't close properly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank hakonm
HubReception, Manager at @ The Hub 'East', responded to this review, 5 March 2012
This person is a disgruntled ex-tenant who rented an apartment, they were not a motel guest. We run 2 different businesses, serviced accommodation, and flat rentals. There are over 100 flats for rent. Unfortunately we have no way of preventing ex-tenants from posting reviews on this website which have nothing to do with our serviced accommodation motel business.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I decided to stay @ the Hub because it seemed like a good place to have my own space - yet be able to socialise with other people too. How wrong could I be!? The receptionist was very unwelcoming to start. Upon entering my room I saw it was small and dirty and cold AND missing half the furniture! The windows did not shut properly and so when it was windy I felt like the storm was whistling straight into my room!
I have never stayed in such a hostile environment.
As I had signed up to be a long term resident, 1 day into my stay I could not claim any money back, and lost a lot of $$! I have never written a review before, so please take note of this and don't even consider staying there!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
14 Thank Kiwi_Tourist30
This person is a disgruntled ex-tenant who rented an apartment, they were not a motel guest. She was evicted from her flat for not paying her rent, and decided to take to this review website. We run 2 different businesses, serviced accommodation, and flat rentals. There are over 100 flats for rent. Unfortunately we have no way of preventing ex-tenants from posting reviews on this website which have nothing to do with our serviced accommodation motel business.
New Zealand
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I chose to stay at @ The Hub based on its website. The backpacker rooms and communal areas looked cosy and clean, and for $40 for a 1-person room with an en-suite, it seemed like the best value for money in Palmerston North. BUT...reality: The outside of the building is dirty, 'free parking' is severely limited (18 places - most filled with long-term renters) and difficult to access, and the hotel entrance is next to a sleazy sex shop. The receptionist was rude to us as soon as we entered the building. She charged us $85/p/night for single rooms. When I complained, she said that "the backpacker rooms are all sold out" (we were there before the uni season and after the summer tourist high - it was NOT busy. Also, I had checked Wotif that morning and rooms were available) and "you wouldn't like those rooms anyway". We were running late for a meeting so booked the rooms.
The lift and lobby carpets were stained. Ceiling tiles throughout the building looked leaky and moldy, the lobby of our floor smelled of urine, my TV and bedside lamp didn't work, I had no tea, coffee or sugar in my room (my companion had some in his), the windows didn't shut properly, the room was cold, my toilet had a paper seal showing it had been cleaned but I opened it to find old poo in the bottom, the cutlery and crockery appeared to be dirty, there were no extra blankets, the ironing board was dirty and left marks on my shirt, and the inner-sprung bed was horrid - like sleeping on a plank of wood covered in chicken wire. Also, the wireless connection was too weak to be useful - I couldn't retain a signal long enough to connect - and reception is only available between 9 am and 6 pm, despite the 'after hours' number. I have gone into detail because no one should put up with staying in such an awful place. I was expecting simple but decent accommodation and found instead a dirty hovel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
12 Thank KiwiOnAPlatter
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 January 2011

The photos made the rooms look a lot bigger and cleaner than they were. First, the place is hard to get to, and there is no indication as to where the car park is, until you have checked in and received a key. The office wasn't staffed when we arrived and we had to summon someone using the buzzer on the outsdide of the buiding. The single room in particular, was much smaller than it appeared, with room for just a bed and a wardrobe. There was rubbish from the last occupant on top of the wardrobe. As for the great views offfered - our outlook was on the back of other ugly buildings and roofs. The room was serviced once during a four night stay, and before we left we ran out of loo paper and tea and coffee (and we were away at Massey for long hours during the day at a contact course), and the rubbish was overflowing big time. On our final night (a Thursday) an 'illegal' night club across the road kept us awake for hours, with extremlely loud music. The office is only staffed from 9 on in the morning, so checking out made us late for our session at Massey on the last day. There was also some confusion over our rates when paying, and when we mentioned the things we were not happy with, we were told we should have rung a staff member, but when you dial 0 after hours (the only times were were there) the message says it is for emergencies only. The staff probably wouldn't have considered our overflowing rubbish bin and lack of clean towels an emergency, so we didn't feel we could bother them outside their 'normal' hours. This was for $75 a night, which we were told was a 'reduced' rate (after complaining about the original rates). Next time I will happily pay $25-$30 extra a night for a clean, quiet motel that is serviced every day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank arenzo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 December 2010

New Year's eve on The Square! Great to be able to have a night out and walk home as opposed to jostle amongst parked cars and traffic jams after the big night. It's an inner city hotel so it's expected to have people around - even after midnight. A great place to be if you want to walk to anywhere.

The hotel staff were very hospitable and friendly, security is impressive. Great location, good room, comfy bed...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo