“Another great stay”

Copthorne Hotel Palmerston North
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Girls on reception desk 16th of June at 10am were fantastic, we were off to the races and we checked in early, staff are always nice at this Hotel, room was lovely and warm, bed was comfortable and room was lovely and clean, bathrobes and slippers were nice on a cold frosty morning, and they even have buckets of warm water to defrost your car on departure! value for money and great location always like staying, Hotel is older but staff make up for this.

Room Tip: Tower Block rooms with balcony
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed 3 nights and was pleasantly impressed by staff.
Rooms are in need of TLC, but at least the place is priced accordingly.
Likely I will stay again as not much luxury offerings in the area. This one is at least not misleading!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2012

A one night stay at this hotel. The 3rd time I have stayed here and the rooms can vary alot in terms of quality and decor. This was a superior room and I wouldn't recommend standard rooms.
I found the customer service to be very good with a courtesy call about 15 minutes after arriving just to check that the room was ok. A nice touch.

The good points:
The room was bright light and airy and had a nice view out to the city. The room was a good size and quiet.
The bathroom was very clean and the shower worked well.
There is plenty of free off street parking and the lift was quick to access the room.
The hotel is a couple of minutes walk to central Palmerston North so handy to everything.

The not so good:
The bed is very spongey and I prefer a firmer mattress. This is unusual as hotels almost always have a well sprung bed.

I had the buffet breakfast which had the normal general selection of hot and cold items.

This hotel will suit most people fine so long as you avoid the standard room! The standard room if you choose that type is more like a budget hotel, and being at ground level may have issues with security as well.

Room Tip: Definitely choose the superior room unless you are on a tight budget.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My husband & I booked a night in the beginning of June 2012 just to get away from it all, Checked in by reception was fine but it was when we checked into our room & found not one light was working but the heater, the TV was on but couldn't get a single channel we tried everything we could as we are familiar with key lights operation, rang reception & directed us how to use the key to switch on lights which we did 10 times before we rung them. Then came, could a maintenance man or porter or DM, he tried the key himself & still nothing happened & he noticed was broken. What I couldn't understand was how did housekeeping clean the room without lights? and why the room attendant didn't report this issue that shows people are in for themselves they have no sense of responsibility, being proud what little jobs they do.The maintenance man do not know these types of issues unless housekeeping reports them.
Or who knows, could the room was OOO for maintenance but released to get that last bucks.
But thanks for the second room with electricity.
I know the hotel is been around for long time now but at least put some effort on cleaning or fix missing hooks on curtains. there was a dull feeling that hit me when I walked in the second room which was no different from previous room, no clean smell just an old dragg atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I spent two nights here recently on business.

The hotel itself is in need of a little tender love and care. It leaks when it rains and looks like it has seen better days in general. That being said, the rate was fairly competitive so that made up for these shortcomings to some extent.

The rooms are very basic (I stayed in the tower block). The bathroom and shower were ok, and the bed was good enough for a decent nights sleep.

The hotel restaurant delivered a nice dinner, I had a pork dish which I quite enjoyed. I had room service for lunch and despite the limited menu, managed to find a tasty toasted sandwhich that filled the gap nicely. The coffee was fairly average though.

The staff were good, answering questions and providing a friendly response to requests for amenities etc.

The location is good, quite close to the city centre and main shopping mall. It was an easy walk to other eating establishments as well.

Overall, the Kingsgate in Palmerston North was good value for money. Nothing flash, but it did the job. A reasonable choice for a short business stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2012

A very cheap rate for room and breakfast. Room was at back of hotel, where it looks a bit worn but very quiet. Bathroom a bit tired but other than that everything was very comfortable. It is in a fantastic location - very central. I would recommend it. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Good value!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2012

As with other reviewers of this hotel, I was pretty nonplussed. My work travel coordinator booked me in to the Kingsgate for a night this week. I stayed in a room in the main building which the receptionist referred to as "the tower"...it was old, slightly decaying and really cold. The net curtains were disintegrating with holes here and there, the curtains were hanging off their track, and the only form of heating was a little wall heater that just didn't have the oomph to warm the whole room...which on a positive note, was of a good size. I ordered a room service meal in the evening from the restaurant, and it was OK...pretty mediocre, but if I had been paying for it myself, I probably would have been disappointed. In the morning, I got half way through my shower (which was not a long one) when the water went cold and stayed that way. Given that the room was really cold, the temperature outside hovering around zero, I had been looking forward to at least thawing out in the shower, but this was not to be, so with plan B in mind, I headed downstairs to the restaurant for a cooked breakfast. Needing to get to work as soon as I could, I opted for the buffet breakfast...not good...I definitely couldn't recommend it...the food was lukewarm and the plates stone cold so by the time I'd had 2 mouthfuls, everything was cold and starting to congeal. And there is just something about tinned spaghetti for breakfast that is just not cool. The waiting staff were pleasant though, and I wouldn't include them in my criticism of this hotel. I think next time I need to stay over in Palmerston North, I will opt for somewhere else...anywhere else!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business