“Average to Good. Basic needs”

Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Reviewed 30 November 2013

10 mins drive from PN airport. Not far from The Square – easy walk. Surrounds a little dead with light industrials, quiet location. Has only 5 floors. Small lunch bar and Asian grocery shop next door. Pita pit next street up for wraps etc. Maccas for free wifi about 10-15 minutes walk (passing KFC) – all these turn left out of front door. For KFC and Maccas, turn left at lights and keep walking straight.

Large basic room and amenities. Good sized desk for work. Full length mirror (great!). Couch, chair and small table. Comfy double bed, pillows and doona but bed so light that it keeps moving around when you lean or sit on it. Clean and light-filled room. Good sized length bath. Complimentary 30 mins wifi/cable. Good water pressure and hot water. Coffee/tea, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, shampoo and conditioner, good blackout curtains. Lighting for makeup not great. Third pillow and safe deposit box in wardrobe but no bathrobe, slippers or shower cap. To make international calls, you need to dial reception - they call number and connect you through.

Breakfast spread adequate with good hot food (freshly hot) – crisp hash browns, creamy large mushrooms, decent sized sausages, big bacon pieces, grilled tomatoes with cheese, baked beans. Choice of continental ($16) or full buffet ($23). Adequate cereal choices, juice, fruit, toast, croissant and jams, coffee/tea.

Computer at reception area is a $2 coin operated use for 20 mins. Young lad on reception seemed more interested in the young female at reception instead of receiving me upon check in. I had to ask all the questions about wifi, breakfast, restaurant, any parcels left at reception for me, directions, map etc. Had to also ask for help with my bags to the room. Reception service could be improved. Service in dining room was great though. Chef’s special steak, egg and chips for $20. Room service menu quite limited and pricey, plus you need to add an extra $4 for in-room dining. Light snacks like sandwich or pizza can only be ordered after 10.30pm.

2  Thank Tweetcoz
Rean V, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Tweetcoz
I would just like to thank you for you detailed feedback on our hotel. Its always good to get feedback good or bad and I really appreciate your feedback providing a bit of both. We have looked at your email land especially focussed on the not so good.
WE have since your stay introduced a new Menu to provide a bit of variety to our guests and we have also discussed with the team the importance of great customer service and providing all information upon check-in
We would love to welcome you back in the near future to see the changes we have made

Reviewed 29 November 2013

The Travelodge Palmy is very central. Just a quick run across the road for breakfast at Cuba St Cafe, a 5 minute walk to the square and mall, and probably a 20 - 30 minute walk to Massey. The staff were very helpful and the room was light and comfortable. The bathroom was aging a little, but the water pressure and everything else was fine. The free, secure parking was also an excellent feature here.

Although the room service option is good and the food perfectly fine, I would definitely recommend a walk across the road to the Cuba St cafe. If nothing else - at least try some of their amazing cake

Dear Makkernz
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your experience at Travelodge. Its always good to get some good feedback and I have shared it with our team.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Check-in was fast and efficient. I arrived on Monday evening and was expected, everything was ready. First impressions of the room was that is was quite satisfactory. However when I went to have a shower I found no shampoo had been provided. That was rectified on my third day there.

Restaurante service was quite slow, but staff were friendly and there could be no complaints about the food.

The lighting in the room was adequate for watching TV, or for a romantic couple, but was too dim for studying business papers. (This seems to be a common practice among many modern hotels.) To get sufficient light to read meant lying on the bed so the bedside lamps could be used. OK for reading a book before going to sleep, but not for serious work.

By the Wednesday night temperatures were getting quite warm and that is I found the airconditioning didn't work.

Overall, I would only give this stay an average rating.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Rean V, Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Malcolm T
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. Since your stay we got a new F&B Manager and we also had a meeting for our housekeeping team to make sure they check every room daily to make sure all items have been placed in the room.
We will also be investigating better light for future guests

Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

A little old, but clean and tidy. My stay was quiet and comfortable. The air conditioning was almost silent, and worked well. Buffet breakfast had good variety, everything seemed nice and fresh. I've stayed here a couple of times, checkin has been slow each time.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Rean V, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Rendezvousnz
Thank you for taking the time to review following your recent stay. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our great team. We enjoy what we do and feedback such as yours, certainly encourage us every day.
We will be investigating the slow check in you have experienced over the last few visits and find solutions to the problem
We would love to welcome you back on your next visit to Palmerton north to see the changes we have made

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Firstly let me say that the room was very nice, comfortable bed and very clean. I had a lovely large window and appreciated being able to open the window for fresh air.

When I first arrived, I was getting changed in the bathroom and a staff member came in unannounced. I would have thought my luggage may have alerted her to the fact that I was there (my original room was not ready when I arrived at mid-day so I was given another. I assume that the room that I was placed in was supposed to be empty).

I had a brand new rental car and when I returned at night was shocked that I could not get a secure carpark. When I suggested to reception that I park behind one car with minimum inconvenience to just one car and that I would leave my keys at reception, I was told that the car that I was parked behind may want to check out early (this is why I was willing to leave my keys).

I had paid for two nights and upon leaving the premises on the first morning, reception came running after me to ask when I was checking out. I went upstairs to produce paperwork that showed that I had paid for two nights.

I was charged for a newspaper on the day I arrived when I wasn't even there.

Lastly the water in the shower was either extremely hot or extremely cold.

Lovely venue - not too noisy but there are a few issues that need to be addressed.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalia R

Dear Natalia R

We always appreciate feedback from our guests even if it’s not great feedback; it gives us the opportunity to improve the product we offer for future guests
In regards to the parking unfortunately we have only limited spaces available due to our central location, and for insurance restrictions our team are not allowed move guest cars.
I do have to apologise for you inconvenient experience upon arrival. Our team will always do their best to give guest a room as soon as possible but due to be fully booked the night before we had no rooms available and out team member tried to give an alternative solution but she should have made better preparation to make sure nobody else uses the changing room.

We would like to invite you to stay with us on your next visit to Palmerston north to experience our level of service we pride ourselves on

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We spent a Saturday night at a Dine and Dance, then had a room for a night. Following that our Company had a Sales Conference for two days.
First - Accomodation. Quiet, comfortable room with a great bed. Tidy room, clean and normal services such as mini-bar, aircon, TV. Good lighting, nice bathroom. Pleasant staff. VG breakfast.
Next - Dine and Dance. Good buffet food. Room perfect size. Dance floor built to suit, and a bar with enough variety in standard drinks ( nothing too fancy). Again very helpful staff. Good seating and tables, cutlery to VG standard. Highly enjoyable.
Finally - Conference. Excellent room set up. Good electronic gear, projector screen etc. VG refreshments, water, juice, ample coffee, good lunches, and a VG buffet dinner. Staff excellent again. Furniture very suitable.

Dear Trixta
The team at Travelodge Palmerton North are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your warm comments regarding service. It is also lovely to hear that you enjoyed your conference with us. We don’t receive a lot of feedback in regards to our conference facilities and we appreciate that you have taken the time to give some valuable feedback on our venue

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here just one night for business in September. Checked in after 10pm, so really only used the room to sleep and shower. Unfortunately the room temperature was too high (between 24-27 degrees) and the thermostat did not work. I called the front desk and staff came immediately but could not fix the problem. They showed me another room but it was no cooler. So she brought me a fan which helped a bit. It was cool outside, but alas I could not open the window. Other than this glitch, the room was clean and a good size. The staff were friendly and efficient, exactly what one might expect from a Travelodge.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Rean V, Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Crowfly2
Thanks you for your feedback on your last visit. We really appreciate your feedback. It gives us the opportunity to change our operation and keep increasing our guest experience. Currently we are investigating our room temperatures and we have specialists looking into this problem and finding solutions.
We welcome you back at your next visit to Palmerton North and experience the changes we have made