Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Palmerston North
Sydney, Australia
“loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

stayed last night and enjoyed my stay...they served a greta pinot at the bar, the bar food was prompt, well priced, quick and nice. The staff we fantastic, so helpful ....the room was excellent and the hotel is situated extremely well for anyone staying in Pamie !!! i would happily stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Heritage rooms are nice....check for an ironing board though as these seem to be lacking in sme room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank greggo60
Rean V, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear greggo60

Thanks for your great feedback. We do pride ourselves on our service and food and it really motivates the team to see good feedback like yours. Since your feedback we did a room audit to make sure we have all the items in the rooms. Thanks again for your feedback and hope to see you in the near future at Travelodge

Rean Vorster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had 4 nights at the Travelodge in Palmerston North. Good things: comfortable king size bed; quality linen; very clean; nice lobby; good bar and restaurant; room service with reasonable prices; good service; character building; very central to the square and good cafes etc. Not so good things: no electric blankets! (temperatures in Palmerston North can be positively arctic!) although there was a noisy heat pump; watch out for the showers! the room we had only had a shower curtain with the shower head pointing towards the door - my husband turned the shower on full and the pressure was great but flooded the bathroom; only 2 towels in the room (although happy to provide more); there was only one main light in the room that was not working and despite being notified three times it was not fixed (however, the bedside lamps did work and were adequate)
Overall, I would stay again as we received a good rate. Taxi to the airport $15 - $20

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear GertrudelowtherBell
Thank you for your time to give us some feedback on your stay at Travelodge Palmerston North.Its always great to get good feedback but even more important is the feedback on thing we can improve .We pride ourselves on our service and standards of our rooms we really let ourselves down in regards to the lights that was not working. We are also looking into electric blankets to improve our overall standard.
We would love to invite you back and see first-hand the changes we made and to really experience our great service we offer
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a family Wedding in late January this year. The hotel itself is made up of a "heritage wing" which is the older part of the hotel and a more modern tower wing.

I booked and prepaid on the Travelodge website far in advance and got a fantastic rate of only $69 a night for a two night stay. (no breakfast) There were various room options I could of chosen and I elected for the Heritage King. The Travelodge website has an extra function that allows you to book as a married couple - so for example: Mr and Mrs _______ which I did also.

The Hotel is positioned in a quieter part of Palmerston North and is a short walk to some of the best Cafes in the city - we had breakfast at the cafes and that worked out better then having breakfast at the Hotel I believe.

When we first arrived I parked out the front on the street which was fine because the parking zone was no longer being policed by that time. The lobby which forms part of the heritage wing was pleasant, clean and light.

The check in however was where experienced problems - The front desk staff handed me my key card and I was directed to the new wing of the hotel. I queried this asking if this was a "King room". The staff member said no this was a "twin room". I advised that was not correct as I had clearly chosen a King Heritage when I booked and also I was staying with my wife as I booked using "Mr and Mrs ___" so why would I want a twin room? The staff member got a little flustered and said "I will see what I can do" and started looking into it, after some time she offered us a "queen with sofa" room. I then advised "I booked a King Heritage months ago, can you give me an explanation as to why you are not giving me one?" the staff member literally shrugged then went back to her computer trying to find a room. After some time she actually found a King Heritage in the building and gave us the room card. Unfortunately she was not so apologetic about either.

This was quite annoying, as the room I had booked was clearly there and ready to go - If I had just been given me the correct room in the first place then we wouldn't of had to have gone through all this drama. Had we not been given the Heritage King then I would of taken it up with management then and there.

The Heritage Wing has one lift which goes between the three floors. The lift is one of those older style ones where you have to close the doors yourself, but it is fast and works well for the building.

The room itself was on the 1st floor and was amazingly light and spacious and had an outlook facing the tower wing. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The room also had built in wardrobe space and a desk and chair. Because the room we were in was facing the tower block the room was very quiet. ( I understand some of the rooms facing the street could be loud) The A/C in the room was amazing and cooled the room down very quickly. Sky TV worked well and the blinds kept the light out.

We were glad we pushed for the heritage room as we saw an example of the double room in the new wing and it seemed much smaller.

We were unable to get a car space at the Hotel the first night, so I left the car on the street overnight. The next day was Saturday so there was no risk of getting a parking ticket but obviously the preference was to park in the car park if possible.
I was able to get a space the next day but the carpark always seemed to be very full so keep that in mind.

The rest of stay was extremely good and all of the staff at the Travelodge post check in were really good to deal with. It is a shame that the check in didn't work as well as it should of, as it was the only negative on a really good stay. Clearly there was some sort of break down between reservations and the hotel. That being said if you cant trust the Travelodge own website then imagine what might happen if you used booking.com or wotif for example?

I would easily recommend this place and would stay again if I was in Palmerston North. Just make sure you get the room you booked!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Charlie_and_Sara
Thank you for your great detailed feedback on your stay .It’s always good the get detailed feedback like yours to get a better understanding on our guest experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and I do agree it’s a bit of a shame you had a few problems upon arrival with your check-in. Since your feedback we did have a meeting with our team to discuss your problems to make sure we continue to improve and make sure it does not happen in the future. In regards to our parking due to being close to the city centre we have only limits pace to allocate for parking but generally we don’t have a lot of issues with no parking space due to street parking.
Once again thank you for your great feedback and we hope to see you in the near future at Travelodge.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

We got an $84 room booking fir the 7 days in advance deal. Nice room, more tasteful art than I would have expected. Good bed and great blackout curtains that made for a good night's sleep. Great location close to. All the great cafes the city has to offer. Will definitely return here if in Palmy again.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from the garage door (from reading other reviews) and had a great night...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear sparkythekid
Thank you for your lovely feedback. Our team at Travelodge always loves getting great feedback like yours. Generally we don’t have a lot of noise problems with the parking area but if you’re a light sleeper it’s always better to ask for a room on the heritage side of the hotel. We are looking forward to your next visit to our hotel

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here over a weekend in a Heritage Room. The reception staff member was lovely and very welcoming, the room was relatively clean (a couple of hairs in the bathroom when we arrived). The bed was comfortable however the air conditioning unit above the bed was very noisy so it wasn't possible to keep it on when trying to sleep. It was a bit old so perhaps it has got a bit noisy compared to newer units.

Room service was excellent - very good value for money, food was excellent and the staff member who brought it up was very polite.

The main issue was that the walls seemed to be paper-thin and unfortunately we had very noisy neighbours so it was a bit of a problem. Also as it was a weekend there was a lot of noise from the street (not the hotel's fault of course, but it would be preferable if the walls were a bit more insulated). I have stayed at Travelodge in Palmerston North once before in the new section, and I don't think noise was a problem there, so if I was to stay again, I would definitely go for a newer room.

Housekeeping arrived at around 1pm and as we were still in the room getting ready to go out, we asked if they could return a little later but unfortunately they were about to finish, so we didn't have the room cleaned (we just got them to give us some fresh towels).

Overall it was an alright stay - the highlights being the reception staff and the room service, and negatives being the noisy neighbours.

Room Tip: Pick a room in the newer section.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Rean V, General Manager at Distinction Palmerston North Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear BMWLG
Thank you for your time to give us some valuable feedback
I have passed on your feedback on our team service and we do pride ourselves on great customer service.
I do apologize for your experience in regards to the noise levels. Usually we don't have a lot of street noise due to our location but unfortunately it happened on the odd occasion. On your next visit upon making your booking just request a tower side room and you will have a peaceful sleep

We would love to welcome you back in the near future to experience first hand that we are generally in a quite area

Rean vorster
Auckland, NZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

Recently in Palmy for a funeral and stayed here. Rooms were fine but nothing special. Service at check in also fine. Bar is actually very nice, but didn't try the restaurant.
Have rated much lower than I would have though due to an incident where after requesting a late check out at reservation, having it confirmed and then reconfirming at check in I was horrified to have a staff member walk into the room without knocking in the morning. Luckily all was decent, but could have been very, very embarrassing for all concerned. Terrible amateur mistake.

Room Tip: Keep the door locked!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear KBE9
Please accept my sincere apology for your bad experience during your stay with team member walking into your room.
Since your feedback I had a meeting with our team and housekeeping team to make sure they check any requests and to knock on the door before entering a room
I do agree that this is not acceptable and would like to invite you back on your next visit to show our improvements and to discuss this matter more

Ohope, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

As the heading says we have stayed on many occasions. We have stayed in 4 or 5 other motels in Palmerston North but after staying at the Travelodge the first time it is the pick of the bunch. We haven't been able to find anything which compares value for money. With all our stays we have found the rooms to be clean and will presented. There is a bar fridge with tea and coffee facilities. The last 2 stays we have had breakfast included in the package for very little extra. The breakfast was adequate. Parking is a little tight and there has been times where we have had to park on the street. Location is great as it is within walking distance to the town centre and near by eating facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear beachies80a

Would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valuable support over the past and hopefully in the future.
WE really pride ourselves on Value for money and its good to get some good feedback on our product
Due to our location being close to the city we will always have limited space in regards to parking. But we always try to manage our space effectively to make sure all guests have a parking space

Hope to see you soon and maybe we can discuss your stay and see where we can still improve