“Homely and clean”
Review of Sunkist Guesthouse

Sunkist Guesthouse
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

Excellent hostel, very clean and well organised! Loved the lay out and the rooms were huge, kitchen and lounge areas were great, and free Internet for 1hour great bonus. The owner was very friendly and also travelled himself so I think it helps. Great location really, only 5-10 mins walk to shops.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed 18 June 2012

What a great find in central Thames. Great location to all that the area has on offer. Wonderful friendly staff who are only to happy to help. This packpackers is very clean, well maintaned and the team are always wanting to improve the travellers experience. The outdoor BBQ area and garden are lovely and warm in the sun and a great place to socialise. The overall experience is top notch and I would highly recommend that you stay here next time you are in Thames. Well done guys on your successful business :)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed here for one night and I would definitely return. Everyone was so lovely and helpful and very accommodating. Big thumbs up! The garden is very sweet. If you're headed to Thames you should definitely consider staying here!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at this backpacker for only one night but had a great experience. The carpet had just been changed a few days before I arrived so the hostels was very clean and nice. I slept in a 4-bed female dorm, the room was big enough, from what I remember the view from the window was far from unforgettable but that's not what I was there for anyway. The man at reception was very helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Toilets and showers were extremely clean and you could tell everything was very recent so it is always a bonus! Towels are for hire at reception for $2 if I recall correctly, internet is available but not in the rooms you have to go to the common room which has board games, a nice fire in the fireplace and a huge tv. You can hire a car from them and they also organize day trips. Overall a very good experience, I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I have to agree with a lot of the other reviews. The place is nice, the rooms are nice, the common areas are okay. But the owners ruined the experience for us. The guy was somewhat friendly but the lady (his mother, I think) was terrible. One example that illustrates it all:
We were cycling through new zealand and we had some pretty bad weather. I asked her if she knew anything about the weather forecast for the upcoming days. Not a very strange thing to ask, I assume. Her answer: "Look mister, we don't have time to look up things like that. At 7pm there will be news on the television, followed by the weather forecast. I suggest you watch that."

That was indeed our only option, because internet there was so limited and so expensive that we couldn't use that either.

On the last day we had to check out at 10am from the rooms, which is reasonable. What I didn't find reasonable is that we couldn't use the common areas at all after 10am or else they would have to charge us extra. And it was completely not crowded in the hostel, so we wouldn't have bothered anyone. It wouln't have cost them a penny. So it was a strange rush-rush for us, we didn't feel welcome at all.

Only stay here if you have to.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Kris_Peeters
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This place is like the plot from a bad horror movie. Great place, amazingly cheap, beautiful house.... Too good to be true? Oh yes. From the moment we arrived, the reception lady ('lady' is charitable) gave us grief for no apparent reason. A few priceless moments included "You don't have cash? Obviously you don't understand how things work!" and hauling us back to charge us an extra $4 because of a booking mistake. Unfortunately that had to go on eftpos too.

There were about 30 sentences that ended with "and if you do, we'll have to ask you to leave". It left us wondering whether there was a ration on squares of toilet paper, and whether we'd be asked to leave if we looked out the wrong window. Perhaps this was the sort of place you leave in pieces after being hacksawed up by the freaky reception lady-thing. But I digress. We asked if she would mind if we left a tupperware container of cooked pasta in her (massive, empty) fridge, and collect it the following day.

After an age long rant about how it wasn't the done thing, and why should we expect her to bend the rules for us, we returned the next day to find the food unceremoniously dumped in the basket for dirty sheets at reception. "Don't take advantage of us like that again!" She screeched. We wont be back...

Aside from the assortment of not-quite-normal cats and dog, and passive-agressive signs everywhere, the house is quite beautiful. Wait until the owners pass away and then book to stay there...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank Nadine I
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Nice place and well priced but the very rude, grumpy lady at reception made it a very average experience

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends