“Not overly pretty, but very relaxing and affordable”

Miranda Hot Springs
Ranked #5 of 18 things to do in Thames
Auckland Region, New Zealand
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Not overly pretty, but very relaxing and affordable”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stop here fairly often on the way back from weekends away.

Yes, the place looks a little date and run down and could do with a lick of paint; but once you are in the water and relaxing none of that matters. Very clean and tidy and a great atmosphere with entire families making a day of it. Both pools are nice and warm, the sauna pool particularly so.

The price is very reasonable given how much some other pools charge - $13 per adult with no time limit. Best to sit at the far end of the pool away from the entrance unless you don't mind the occasional waft of chip fat from the on site chippy.

Visited August 2013

Waitara, New Zealand
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Taranaki Travellers”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This pool was a very large outdoor hot pool,very enjoyable, but a bit run down. The spa pool needs to be painted or tiled to make it look a bit more appealing. We enjoyed it but for tourists I didn't think it was up to standard. The prices are rather high too. $8 for towel hire and same just to watch !! But still worth going too.

Visited July 2013
St Arnaud, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Perfect for a quiet soak”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I had time to kill on Day 1 of my North Island hot spring crawl, and spent a pleasant couple of hours soaking in the Miranda hot pool which hadn't been on my original agenda. I am so glad I went there! I did not find the entry fee of $13 too expensive when compared witht he prices at other amenities. Yes, the towels were $8, but you get refunded $4 of that when you take them back. There was a snack bar, and a small cafe (closed when I went there). The change rooms were clean and spacious and there are outside, undercover cublices where you can stash your gear and keep an eye on it while bathing. The pool itself is perfect; it is huge, 37 degrees and with good wide steps to enter and sit on. OK the paint is peeling a bit but the atmosphere is great. At one end in a raised alcove is the bubbling 42 degree adults-only spa pool, which was too hot for me for more than 10 minutes (there is a warning sign to say 20 minutes max. anyway) I guess my only criticism would be that you can't take a drink to the pool, and you need to keep your fluids up as you can become quite dehydrated with prolonged bathing. I was lucky to go on a day when there were only four other bathers there, elderly local people who were great to talk to and a mine of local information. Next trip to NZ I will definitely spend longer in the Miranda area, the holiday park next door was also immaculate (see separate review). I was surprised and pleased to find such a gem.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jane W
New Zealand
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 815 helpful votes
“Rustic, tired and expensive - but clean.”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This was my first visit to the Miranda Hot Springs, but we were road-tripping the Seabird Coast, and it is definitely one of the "must-do" attractions, so we thought we would pay a visit.
I suspect that there has been little in the way of development here for a long time. The pool itself is ageing concrete, with peeling paint. The whole place looks like a 1980's timewarp. As soon as we walked in, we new that we weren't going to be there for hours.
The main pool is huge with wide steps on each side, and a modern chair lift to provide access into the pool for people who are in a wheelchair, or have other mobility issues.
The water was an excellent temperature, and the while old, the place was spotlessly clean which I appreciated.
The smell of sulphur is quite strong in the water, yet i was suprised to see no signage informing me whether it was safe to put my head under water or not.
There is also a large communal spa pool (called the sauna pool) with air jets, that sits above one end of the main pool. It was for adults only, and was quite a few degrees hotter than the main pool. There are also a couple of private pools.
The pool environment had large open spaces for family gatherings, and plenty of shaded tables and chairs. Children will enjoy the huge inflatable pillow trampoline, and there was also a room of aging arcade games.
I felt that the prices of the complex were over the top however. $13 entry for adult swimmers (14 and over), but $8 for a non-swimming spectator. $8 for swimsuit hire, $8 for towel hire. I felt these prices were unreasonably high given the age, rustic nature, and lack of modern investment in the pool complex.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Brett M
Auckland Region, New Zealand
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Nice but a little run-down”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I last visited here nearly 30 years ago when I was a school kid on camp. Nothing had changed at all. The place seriously needs a face lift but then that would probably raise prices. It cost something like $13 which was fine for what you get and compared to other mineral pools in NZ which frankly charge exorbitant prices.

It was reasonably clean and luckily for us, we visited on a week day so there were only a few pensioners visiting which made it really pleasant (no kids!)

I'd recommend it if you want a basic soak and de-stress.

Visited March 2013