“Great breakfast”

Ranked #1 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Whanganui
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand, European, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Fresh, homemade food and Mojos coffee. Always a must in Wanganui to eat, coffee and view gallery. Fantastic gelato.
“Great breakfast”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A lovely cafe, just far enough up Victoria Ave to be out of the main shopping area, parking easy, food amazing, atmosphere lovely, staff very accommodating. Great place :)

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jan G

“Pretenious and over stated”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was in Wanganui on business for a week so was really relying on this site to help me avoid the pitfalls of dining away. I had read all these good reviews regarding Parnell’s and convinced my work colleague to have lunch there. It is the place to go I told him!

The menu looked like your average cafe food, no surprises. I saw they had a chicken burger for $19, bit pricey but hey. I ask the waitress if it comes with fries and it didn’t say so but both of us presumed it would, no she says, looking embarrassed. I’m staggered, even the $17 hamburger doesn’t come with fries. Wow. The waitress apologised and said she gets that a lot.

I end up ordering a steak and mushroom pie from the cabinet at $10, although it may have been $11. My workmate orders a caeser salad. We take our number and try and find a seat. Sadly, all the tables are so close to each other that unless the seat at the table next to you is empty, you wont fit. And I’m average to slim.

The salad comes out 25mins later, no sign of the pie yet. I ask a waitress about the pie. She says, “yeah um, our stuff on the menu comes out before anything ordered from the cabinet”. Seriously? You can make anything from the menu before you can pull off heating up a pie? 35 mins later, out stumbles the pie. Turned out to be about 3/4 of a cup of stew in a bowl with a circle of puff pastry on top. All up, took just over an hour to get out of there. Only reason we were so fast was because we had to chow down as most of us don’t allow for an 1 1/2 hr lunch break.

The food here is wildly overpriced, even by Wellington or Auckland prices. I’m baffled as to why the good folk of Wanganui seem to think this place is amazing. I can only presume that the hype and the prices have confused them into thinking it’s something that it’s not.

I will be back in Wanganui again, but not to Parnell’s.

• Visited April 2014
Hawera
“Lovely Setting - Slow Service”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely decor, plenty of seating areas to choose from, indoors, outdoors, window bar, couch by the fire. Plenty to browse at while you wait as there is also a gallery area....And wait...there was a long line at the counter for orders...it did give you time to fully take in the mouth watering array of sweet and savoury delights in the cabinet and get a handle on the blackboard menu behind the counter....Then the wait for coffee and cake....it was excruciating slow. A great place to stop if you have time....

Whanganui, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Slow”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have been to this café a few times and they have always been slow with service but the food is normally fine. Today dirty tables 20 minute wait for coffee and 30 minute wait for cooked breakfast which was only warm. One person on the coffee machine doing coffee, milk shakes and serving ice cream no matter how busy the café was. Would not recommend this café unless they improve their service, which is unfortunate because it should be a great place to go. The best thing about it at the moment is the good coffee and the large display of celebrity photos on the wall.

• Visited March 2014
Whanganui, New Zealand
“Recommended”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Beautiful food and great coffee. Pleasant & clean decor with option of inside or outside. Fantastic crafts/art available to browse & purchase as well. Definitely one of my favourite cafes.

• Visited February 2014